Do death metal vocalists use vocal effects ?

Coolie No.1

• Members

No more effects than any other vocalist, in the studio. Compression, echo, delay, etc. Maybe some echo or compression live. Nothing significant.

There are a few obscure bands that use pitch shifters but death vox is for the most part true organic awesome. :cool:

• Members

King Diamond, who sings black metal

Mercyful Fate is very influential in the development of black metal, but I'd be hard-pressed to call it black metal in and of itself. And King Diamond himself has virtually nothing to do with black metal in his vocal style (or the style of his eponymous band), so I think it's kinda irrelevant... But whatever ;)

• Members

Demilich definitely has a lot of reverb on the vocals though. But yeah, the actual sound itself is from Annti.

Well yeah... until the day death metal vocalists are trying to imitate that one guy who naturally creates his own cavernous reverb I'll file reverb under 'non-significant vocal effects'...

Significant being pitch shift, layering and the like.

• Members

What? there are quite a few guys like this. I don't know about CC though. You honestly think most death metal bands aren't using a vocal effects processor?

We honestly don't think so.

I'll tell you what we do think:

That you're a noob. :poke:

• Members

What? there are quite a few guys like this. I don't know about CC though. You honestly think most death metal bands aren't using a vocal effects processor?

I was responding to the "most can't do it night after night naturally" comment, which is untrue. That's only true if your technique is {censored}ed in which case you can damage your vocal cords. Just like singing really harsh/loud can hurt you... I actually find my voice is a lot more ragged after I do Metallica-esque vocals than after I do death vocals. Death vocals don't really bother my voice unless I'm going really over the top for extended periods of time.

But as to your question here, no I don't think most death metal bands are using a vocal effects processor. Or at least, not for anything more than reverb, delay or compression or whatever... minor stuff.

• Members

Yeah, I know
;)

Layering... Nergal much?
:lol:

I was responding to the "most can't do it night after night naturally" comment, which is untrue. That's only true if your technique is fucked in which case you can damage your vocal cords. Just like singing really harsh/loud can hurt you... I actually find my voice is a lot more ragged after I do Metallica-esque vocals than after I do death vocals. Death vocals don't really bother my voice unless I'm going really over the top for extended periods of time.

But as to your question here, no I don't think most death metal bands are using a vocal effects processor. Or at least, not for anything more than reverb, delay or compression or whatever... minor stuff.

Yeah but theres a lot that don't have technique and can't do it properly. Most of them admit to it. I don't know how many times I've read interviews in guitar world where it was admitted.

I know around here most of the local bands do also.

As far as the big death metal bands that have been out a while probably not. But some of them, like nile, do.

Archived