Do death metal vocalists use vocal effects ?

Coolie No.1

• Members

This was sometime back that i read the cannibal corpse dude uses vocal effects processors even live to achieve what he does.

So what effects and how to they get it?

I have been listening to this over and over again.

I really like this particular one, but others can be grating on the nerves.

• Members

I can't listen to the link right now, but I'd be surprised if Corpsegrinder used any effects besides maybe reverb and sometimes delay... and it's not that common in general. Although with pitch-shifted goregrind people sometimes use phasers or flangers to get that really toilet-bowl-esque sound.

• Members

This was sometime back that i read the cannibal corpse dude uses vocal effects processors even live to achieve what he does.

Yes.

Compression.

Tons of it.

Comps are great for doing these vocals, because you can do them at a lower volume, and still get the same urgency.

• Members

Yes.

Compression.

Tons of it.

Comps are great for doing these vocals, because you can do them at a lower volume, and still get the same urgency.

Ah, I stand corrected. Yes, compression is very common. Though, I wouldn't use it live, just on record.

• Members

I use a standard mic pre. I boot the gain knob up a little to get a bit of dirt in there, compression and occasionally a bit of chorus to get some real gutteral stuff.

Never thought of a phaser though! I may have to try it!

Oh and really drop back the reverb and no delay! It will mush your vocal tone. Reverb should be a small 30:70 plate. Anything more than that just sounds amateurish!

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UljXBJyLZbU

Nope, no vocal FX. Just their anus. :o

• Members

Oh and really drop back the reverb and no delay! It will mush your vocal tone. Reverb should be a small 30:70 plate. Anything more than that just sounds amateurish!

I agree in general, but for the old-school raw as {censored} stuff like early Dismember etc, the over the top reverb/delay was pretty {censored}ing awesome.

• Members

I agree in general, but for the old-school raw as {censored} stuff like early Dismember etc, the over the top reverb/delay was pretty {censored}ing awesome.

I guess, but it does sound dated to me. Don't get me wrong, Dismember are great, but it still sounds dated.

Bear in mind you're probably going to be adding verb to the final mix anyway, so you can afford to be liberal

• Members

Maybe ur just doing it wrong :poke:

;)
Nah, but my death growls don't require me to scream my head off... they're actually not that much louder than my speaking/singing voice.

I love the musical aspect of death metal, but I really don't like growls. I prefer real screams. My favorite metal vocalist is Jens Kidman (Meshuggah) because he screams at the top of his lungs (like I do).

• Members

I love the musical aspect of death metal, but I really don't like growls. I prefer real screams. My favorite metal vocalist is Jens Kidman (Meshuggah) because he screams at the top of his lungs (like I do).

They all have their place. Jens is cool but I wouldn't like him in a lot of other bands... and I wish that he would change his style up A LITTLE sometimes. It's always the same sound... but yeah, it works.

Screaming at the top of my lungs is what I do for black metal... if you check the link in my sig to Kisama you'll see what I'm talking about ;)

• Members

Ah, I stand corrected. Yes, compression is very common. Though, I wouldn't use it live, just on record.

As a mix engineer - I can say that I don't know of ONE professional band that doesn't REQUIRE at least a few channels of compression for any live show.

Compression and EQ are the two most important tools in a soundmans box, and if you ever played somewhere where you weren't running your own sound, chances are, you were compressed (either your voice, the whole mix, or both).

Just saying, it seems like you're treating it like cheating (as if it were, say, auto-tune).

• Members

As a mix engineer - I can say that I don't know of ONE professional band that doesn't REQUIRE at least a few channels of compression for any live show.

Compression and EQ are the two most important tools in a soundmans box, and if you ever played somewhere where you weren't running your own sound, chances are, you were compressed (either your voice, the whole mix, or both).

Just saying, it seems like you're treating it like cheating (as if it were, say, auto-tune).

No I don't see it as a cheat at all; I just wouldn't bother with it myself. If the sound guy wants to do it, that's his call, but I wouldn't insist on it or anything.

• Members

They all have their place. Jens is cool but I wouldn't like him in a lot of other bands... and I wish that he would change his style up A LITTLE sometimes. It's always the same soundtScreaming at the top of my lungs is what I do for black metal... if you check the link in my sig to Kisama you'll see what I'm talking about
;)

Most bands usually have one sound from their vocalist. Death metal bands will grow, and then occasionaly attempt some raspy screeches during a black metallish part. I like bands that mix up the vocals too. Between the Buried and Me and Sikth are 2 good examples of variety in the vocal department.

Archived