my new macbook arrived today... bootcamp or parallels for running windows?

bluesboy

• Members

I didnt even open the box yet, but im already curious about running windows on it!!!

The reason is some of the software that I use for work is windows only, and I dont want to always have to be switching between two computers.

So do any of you run windows on it too? Do you use bootcamp, or do you use something like VMware fusion or parallels? The virtual programs woould be more convenient for me, but im just what others recommend as im new to this

• Members

I think Parallels sucks. It's slow. Bootcamp runs way faster. Sure, rebooting is a pain but I only use it once in a blue moon to update my Blackberry. I wish Verizon carried iPhones.

This.

But what's the real point of install Windows on a Mac?

Just get a cheap PC laptop and run it on that.

• Members

I have my PC laptop which is starting to crap out and probably wont last much longer, and i have my wifes PC laptop which i can use. However, its inconvenient to lug two laptops around. Ill see how much of a pain it becomes before i do anything

• Members

This.

But what's the real point of install Windows on a Mac?

Just get a cheap PC laptop and run it on that.

for my job, I have to have IE6, IE7, and IE8 to test on and support so I have to have at least 3 VM's available at any time. VMFusion works well, way, way better than parallels.

• Members

i had bootcamp on my macbook but just upgraded to a 500g HD and can't be bothered putting windows back on it. It just slowed the bootup of the thing and I hardly used windows anyway

However it did work fine using bootcamp

I just upgraded my HD also. I was using XP via VMWare Fusion and then loaded Windows 7 to try it out. I also had a version or Linux on there for a bit. So far I haven't felt the need to reinstall Windoze just for the few "apps" that are windows only. But VMWare never gave me any real issues.

• Members

I have a mac and run windows using virtual box - its free, and has a great community.

I don't use windows unless I have to, but unfortunately there is certain software that only works in windows that I need access to (a lot of digital mixers have offline editors and configuration tools that I have to use, most of them are windows only :cry:)

Rebooting is too slow and really unnecessary - especially for XP. It takes almost no resources, is very responsive, and does all I need it to (access internet, share the soundcard, access mounted drives, share folders, etc.).

I even game with it sometimes :eek:

• Members

Parallels eh? Never heard of this but my friend whos a mac fiend used boot camp to play command and conquer and it was fun man. This I think is the main reason to get these programs. Unless you love blizzaed then a {censored} load of games is off limits to you. Once you become accustomed to Mac's OS you will despise PC's uselessness. I agree with this to some degree. Macbooks are kinda limited. It's getting better but there is still a bunch unavailable to mac to buy/download. Getting past that {censored}ing fashion accessory era. Though soon it looks there will be an equilibrium.

• Members

that VMware fusion looks pretty decent. Do I also have to buy windows like I do with bootcamp or does fusion have the "ability" to run windows programs automatically?

Think about it for a second.

Why would they allow you to have the functionality of windows without buying windows? I think MS would have something to say about that.

Archived