my new macbook arrived today... bootcamp or parallels for running windows?

bluesboy

• Members

this may be a stupid question, but can you still buy XP?

I suppose you still can. I don't know why anyone would want to, with the far superior Win7 coming out in a few months and available for free as the Release Candidate version right now.

• Members

This.

But what's the real point of install Windows on a Mac?

Just get a cheap PC laptop and run it on that.

Good point but I'm not going to buy a pc just to update my Blackberry. I had a copy of XP laying around so it made sense to make a very small partition just so I can do dumb tasks like that.

I don't understand why Blackberry doesn't have a Mac utility program. If I plug it into my MacBook Pro it shows up as a drive and I can transfer pics, MP3s, videos, etc. but I have to boot into Windows to do any firmware updates on the phone. It's just a pain.

• Members

Question about Bootcamp people. I've got a Mac, but I find myself wanting to run some stuff I can only get for Windows from time to time. If I run Bootcamp, will I have to re-install OSX? Or Will that data be safe?

You can add or delete a Windows partition at any time. You won't need to reinstall OSX to do so.

• Members

I use vmware fusion on my mac pro, and windows hauls ass on there

I really didn't want to have to reboot every time I needed a windows app

Fusion here as well. Unfortunately I have to run Windows for work for a few apps. No issues with Fusion whatsoever.

• Members

Once you become accustomed to Mac's OS you will despise PC's uselessness.

:facepalm: Unless you actually know what you're doing. There is so much you cannot do on, in, and with a Mac.

One of the attorneys at the law firm I manage IT for is a Mac diehard, and the rest of the office network is all XP Pro. There are three Macs for him and his staff in the office and all of them run Parallels to enable them to access the collaboration and billing software (network apps) the rest of the office uses. I had a few hiccups dealing with Parallels at first, but ultimately I have it working just fine. Is it a bit slow? Of course it is, but even running it on a Mac mini its acceptable for our purposes. If the machine had to be rebooted just to check scheduling or look up a bill that would be unacceptable.

• Members

If you run Parallels, anytime Windows or a program running in Windows just decided to lock up or freeze for no real reason you will run the risk of Parallels not being able to find the virtual drive for Windows. If/when that happens you might be able to re-map it, but that doesn't always work, and if it doesn't you will lose all your Windows related data. It happened to me 3 times.

Now I just run BootCamp.

Less convenient, but more convenient than losing data. And more stable too.

• Members

If you run Parallels, anytime Windows or a program running in Windows just decided to lock up or freeze for no real reason you will run the risk of Parallels not being able to find the virtual drive for Windows. If/when that happens you might be able to re-map it, but that doesn't always work, and if it doesn't you will lose all your Windows related data. It happened to me 3 times.

Now I just run BootCamp.

vmware fusion doesn't have this problem.

• Members

Now I just run BootCamp.

Hasn't happened in the setup I deal with, with three Macs networked with Windows PCs and running network apps. Early on, one of the Macs did cause corruption in the database of one of those apps, but that was actually user error, which is the case 9/10 times anyway. There is a lot of complexity and added room for error when you're dealing with virtualization, networks, and databases, regardless of the platform. I think Parallels is a decent product as long as you know what you're doing. If its important to you to be able to access both OS's simultaneously, its probably the best option on the Mac, and its significantly better now than it used to be.

Of course, I wish we didn't have any Macs.

• Members

Hasn't happened in the setup I deal with, with three Macs networked with Windows PCs and running network apps. Early on, one of the Macs did cause corruption in the database of one of those apps, but that was actually user error, which is the case 9/10 times anyway. There is a lot of complexity and added room for error when you're dealing with virtualization, networks, and databases, regardless of the platform. I think Parallels is a decent product as long as you know what you're doing. If its important to you to be able to access both OS's simultaneously, its probably the best option on the Mac, and its significantly better now than it used to be.

Of course, I wish we didn't have any Macs.

I had the first version of Parallels, so I'm sure it is better now. But at this point I'm pretty gun shy having been burnt a few times. Fortunately the 3rd time it happened I had just backed it up so I didn't lose everything . . . . again.

Parallels is a really cool idea though, and when it worked correctly it was really a slick deal. . .

• Members

I had the first version of Parallels, so I'm sure it is better now. But at this point I'm pretty gun shy having been burnt a few times. Fortunately the 3rd time it happened I had just backed it up so I didn't lose everything . . . . again.

Parallels is a really cool idea though, and when it worked correctly it was really a slick deal. . .

vmware fusion does everything parallels does, but better. I was burned so many times with parallels even to the extent of crashing my mac several times a day. vmware fusion does not have this problem. In fact, on a normal day I generally have at least 2 xp vms going at a time for bug testing in ie6 and ie7 and still have not had a problem.

• Members

vmware fusion does everything parallels does, but better. I was burned so many times with parallels even to the extent of crashing my mac several times a day. vmware fusion does not have this problem. In fact, on a normal day I generally have at least 2 xp vms going at a time for bug testing in ie6 and ie7 and still have not had a problem.

cool, thanks for the input

• Members

Sounds like a significant step up over Parallels. Might have to look into it on one my my Macs and see how it goes. . .. . . thanks

Archived