does "wouldn't think twice" mean "yes" or "no"?

DukeOfBoom

• Members

If one were to say, "I wouldn't think twice about [walking down the street]"

Does that mean, that that person really wants to walk down the street (as in first thought seems like a great idea), or there's no way in hell that the person wants to walk down the street (as in the first thought seemed like such a bad idea that he wouldn't ever think of it again)?

• Members

Actually, I think language usage topics like this, that explore idiomatic and colloquial usage, are pretty interesting. Look at how many songs have bits in them that are ambiguous because of such expressions or a facet of their use.

The classic example is "Yes, We Have No Bananas."

And, of course, it all may be quite educational for our spambot friends. :)

• Members

There's an implied 'have to' in the phrase as commonly used: e.g. "I wouldn't think twice about taking those mint condition Small Faces and Humble Pie records off your hands for 50 cents apiece" is the same as saying, "I wouldn't have to think twice about taking those mint condition Small Faces and Humble Pie records off your hands for 50 cents apiece."

best,

john

PS, while I'm sort of on the subject, I wouldn't think twice about saying that Steve Marriot deserves to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

• Members

This one got me thinking (darn that grey matter). For me, generally it implies a positive action, as "I wouldn't think twice about having another beer", or "I wouldn't think twice about running away from that bear".

But generally, it's a reinforcement of the well-established response of what makes sense. It's all in the context, though established context I'd say the expression is more akin "Hell, yeah!" or "Heck, no!" though as always, depends on context.

• Members

You know what's kinda interesting? (to lame people like me, anyway) How in Australia, we say "I couldn't care less about it" meaning I literally could NOT care any less about whatever it is. So it means I don't care. At all. Not a tiny bit. And yet in America, I think the expression is "I could care less about it". So you COULD care less? Soo...you DO care a tiny bit already if there's room to care less?? You know? Yet I know they mean the same thing, that you don't care.

Ya get it? I don't. lol

Archived