distortion pedal advice

tuffvit

• Members

After owning and trying out a pretty good number of distortion pedals (Zoom Tri Metal, Zoom Driver 5000, Metal Zone, Tech 21 GT-2, Line 6 Uber Metal, Death Metal pedal, Grunge, some Marshall pedals -- I think including the Shredmaster, etc., etc.), my opinion is they generally suck in some way or other when it comes to getting good high gain tones.

But the Black Star DistortionX or HT-Dual would probably be about as good as anything. I played the Dual pedal through the front and then in the fx loop of the Egnator Rebel 20 and liked it in the loop more. I then boosted it with another pedal (OCD) and liked it a bit more but thought it was fine on its own.

Also possibly worth looking into: The MI Audio Crunch Box and the Radial Tonebone Hot British pedals.

• Members

After owning and trying out a pretty good number of distortion pedals, my opinion is they generally suck in some way or other when it comes to getting good high gain tones.

But the Black Star DistortionX or HT-Dual would probably be about as good as anything. I played the Dual pedal through the front and then in the fx loop of the Egnator Rebel 20 and liked it in the loop more. I then boosted it with another pedal (OCD) and liked it a bit more but thought it was fine on its own.

Also possibly worth looking into: The MI Audio Crunch Box and the Radial Tonebone Hot British pedals.

+ million on the Blackstar HT pedal series.

The Dual has more options, but the DistX is moar br00tal.

• Members
+ million on the Blackstar HT pedal series.

The Dual has more options, but the DistX is moar br00tal.

I probably would've bought the Dual if I had any $. :D I should've tried the DistX, as well, but thought it would just be one of the two channels of the Dual. I've gotta' give it a try now. :cool:

• Members
After owning and trying out a pretty good number of distortion pedals (Zoom Tri Metal, Zoom Driver 5000, Metal Zone, Tech 21 GT-2, Line 6 Uber Metal, Death Metal pedal, Grunge, some Marshall pedals -- I think including the Shredmaster, etc., etc.), my opinion is they generally suck in some way or other when it comes to getting good high gain tones.

Also possibly worth looking into: The MI Audio Crunch Box and the
Radial Tonebone Hot British pedals.

If you have yet to try one of these bad boys out, do yourself a favor and do it!

Awesome pedal :thu:

• Members

I never seem to see the Hot British or Crunch Box pedals around but have been wanting to check the HB out since about the time I started posting here.
:D

You definitely should my friend :thu:

I was able to cop some awesome tones when I had mine. It is, however, very amp sensitive. It absolutely hates SS amps so that's why I sold mine. Sometimes I get stuck using SS amps and the HB sounded very, very shrill and lost all its balls.

The CB I didn't like at all. Very flat sounding.

Archived