Amp that works well with Eric Clapton strat - mid boost

saxdude48

• Members

Hi there. I've got a an eric clapton strat with a mid boost in it, and I'm looking for a good, bluesy, FAT amp to go with it. At the moment I'm on a Marshall DSL 401, and it's just a bit too aggressive and not blue enough for me. Not too pleased with the tone that's coming out from it. Also I don't really want a multi-channeled amp.

I'm not really a pedal guy at all, just the traditional strat > amp setup.

I want to have a nice clean tone with the boost off and the guitar volume down a bit, then be able to just add on my boost and increase the volume a bit and get a nice thick, ballsy tone just like that. No channel changing or footpedals, just changing everything with my guitar. I've seen Clapton do it all the time...he never uses pedals or anything.

Also, I'm not looking for a big, heavy amp. Something light and low wattage, and small enough to easily carry about, if possible under 15kgs. At the moment I'm considering Cornell amps, I know clapton used them a lot a few years back, perhaps the Cornell Romany?

Give some suggestions eh?

cheers

• Members

Tweed Twin, Super, Pro, Deluxe, or Champ (Layla anyone!!??!!)

/Thread

I have a blackie as well but i dont like it with low wattage amps, cuz there is no clean headroom because the signal is so hot even with the boost off. Your best bet is a bigger amp with attenuator but since you want a small amp.... either a Pro/Deluxe/Champ would do the trick. give jim at lil' dawg amps for anyone of those amps at the best price around.

• Members

Hi, thanks for the reply. Hot signal? really? the vintage noiseless pickups are fairly low resistance...aren't they?

Well anwyays, I'm assuming the pro is a fender amp cause the other ones you listed all are. What model is that?

Also what do you mean by the deluxe? You mean the blues deluxe, the other version of the hot rod deluxe amp?

cheers

• Members

Tweed Twin, Super, Pro or Deluxe

/Thread

The boost circuit is always on and it does increase the signal strength significantly- hence the need for noiseless pups, essentially the VN pups turn into active pickups (IE higher output) because of the circuit.

The amps i mean are the Tweed Twin 5E8-A (2x12), Tweed Super 5E4-A (2x10), Tweed Pro 5E5 (1x15), Tweed Deluxe 5E3 (1x12), Tweed Champ (1x8??)

Although i remember reading on TGP that Suhr made clapton his tweed twins in his garage and that they have almost nothing in common with the fender reissue or original twins...

• Members

The Tweed Deluxe but doesn't have THAT much headroom. I'd look into the Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

I know that lol, but he said he wanted a low wattage amp and the deluxe is only ~12 watts.... he said nothing about needing clean headroom.

• Members

True, he wasn't very specific. To me it sounded like he wants a fat bluesy "on the edge" tone and will a use a boost for the crunchy stuff, which reminds me of a DRRI.

I love Tweed Fenders though. Sex in a box.
:cop:

He said he was looking for a clapton type tone. So the obvious choice since he already has a EC strat is a Tweed fender of any kind.

And i agree. Fender Tweeds =:love:

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm still struggling to understand what exactly every model is and what you guys are talking about when you throw words out like "tweed deluxe". So I did a google search for "Fender Tweed", and I'm coming up with a few different amps.

-A really small 5 watt Tweed Champ combo,

-A version of the Hot Rod Deluxe that to me looks just like a hot rod with the tweed covering,

-Then two different versions of the 57 tweed; a 12 watt deluxe and a 40 watt twin amp, both quite pricey.

This mainly what you guys are suggesting?

Btw what's a DRRI?

cheers

• Members

Before discarding the Marshall 401 that you already own, try putting in the preamp sockets, lower output tubes. In there now are probably 12AX7's.

Try a 12AT7 or a 12AU7 preamp tube in V-1 and V-2.

I do this all the time to my amps, Marshalls included, and it lowers the power and saturation coming from the amp to give it a sweeter tone.

Remember that your Clapton Strat is an active circuit guitar and will hit the amp input harder then a passive pickup guitar will. I owned 2 Clapton strats and undertand what you are describing.

• Members

A Fender Reissue Tweed Blues Deluxe sounds very good with most all Strats. I played an Eric Johnson Signature Strat with very hot '57 pickups through it and it could get dirty of course or clear as a bell with plenty of headroom. The 6L6GC power tubes may have something to do with that. This is one of the new Fender amps that I like next to a '65 Reissue Blackface Twin Reverb.

• Members

You should Google Tweed Twin 5E8-A (2x12), Tweed Super 5E4-A (2x10), Tweed Pro 5E5 (1x15), Tweed Deluxe 5E3 (1x12), Tweed Champ (1x8??)

I am not talking about the re-issue blues deluxe, the actual model is called a tweed deluxe.

A DRRI is a Deluxe Reverb Re-issue

• 1 month later...
  • Members

ec is using (or atleast he was) a pair of 57 twin amps.

Amen! :thu:

I also have a Clapton Strat "Blackie" and I understand what the OP was referring to here. And as it happens - I just scored a used Fender 57 Twin reissue yesterday at a local store - but even tho it's absolutely my favorite with the Blackie - the other two amps featured are the Fender Blues DeVille 4X10 RI and the Fender Blues Deluxe RI already mentioned. Here's the link to see pics of my 57 Twin:

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/revs57twin.html

And here's the pic of my recommendations to the OP :wave:

Here's my suggestions (pic posted)

• Members

I've used a midboosted Strat for years. its a Musitech boost similar to the Clapton, more extreme though. I don't worry about what type of amp I plug into because it works well with anything.

I would try a silverface Fender , Deluxe, Pro Reverb, Super Reverb, Bassman.

a silverface Deluxe is 22w and most players think it sounds like 50w. it's a killer amp.

where you live I don't know how available Fender amps are. consider a JMP Marshall 50w as well, beautiful cleans and sweet break up. countless players used them, Clapton, Jeff Beck and on and on.

here's EC and Robbie Robertson using Musicman amps.

[YOUTUBE]qEo4gRqUiU4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Hi there. I've got a an eric clapton strat with a mid boost in it, and I'm looking for a good, bluesy, FAT amp to go with it. At the moment I'm on a Marshall DSL 401, and it's just a bit too aggressive and not blue enough for me. Not too pleased with the tone that's coming out from it. Also I don't really want a multi-channeled amp.

I'm not really a pedal guy at all, just the traditional strat > amp setup.

I want to have a nice clean tone with the boost off and the guitar volume down a bit, then be able to just add on my boost and increase the volume a bit and get a nice thick, ballsy tone just like that. No channel changing or footpedals, just changing everything with my guitar. I've seen Clapton do it all the time...he never uses pedals or anything.

Also, I'm not looking for a big, heavy amp. Something light and low wattage, and small enough to easily carry about, if possible under 15kgs. At the moment I'm considering Cornell amps, I know clapton used them a lot a few years back, perhaps the Cornell Romany?

Give some suggestions eh?

cheers

Let us know what you end up getting :wave:

Archived