Why would someone remove serial numbers...

gtrplyr60

• Members

...from a cheap Chinese guitar?

This was a total impulse buy off ebay. I wanted to try something with P-90's. The last three digits of the SN are just gouged out. WTF? I didn't contact the seller about it, and there was no mention in the auction of the SN being removed. Looks like a decent ax otherwise, and I got it cheap enough for sure, but this SN thing is strange...

1250611287.jpg

1250611230.jpg

• Members

Posting this here was probably a mistake, but what the hell, let's keep going. :lol:

My email to seller:

XXX, I just received the guitar. I have to ask, what is with the serial numbers?

The last three digits are removed! There's really only one reason for this to happen. This really bothers me and honestly, makes me not want this guitar at all now. If there was some mention of it in the auction, or if you forewarned me by email, but, what am I suppose to think here? It totally appears to be a stolen guitar and I would like to return it to you for a full refund of $XXX.XX

I will pay the cost of shipping it back to you. I do hope you understand my position on matter. I'd like to get this resolved as quickly as possible. Thanks.

Sellers reply:

The guitar is not stolen. I purchased it from a authorized Hamer dealewr on Ebay,it was a factory second, there was a niggle in the finish, though I never could find it.I never even noticed the serial numbers. . my guess is thats why the missing serial numbers the auction stated "as is" no returns, Do what you think you must.I'd say for $XXX.XX you got a fine playing guitar with locking tuners..

• Members

The guitar is not stolen. I purchased it from a authorized Hamer dealewr on Ebay,it was a factory second, there was a niggle in the finish, though I never could find it.I never even noticed the serial numbers. . my guess is thats why the missing serial numbers the auction stated "as is" no returns, Do what you think you must.I'd say for $XXX.XX you got a fine playing guitar with locking tuners..

Bull{censored}.

Hamer stamps a 2 on the back.

• Members

So, I emailed this guy a link to ebays policy page on altered serial numbers. This goes against ebay policies needless to say. This was his reply (below). What next????

Do what you gotta do. I can't return your money. it's been spent . My wife and I live on a fixed income, I just sold my pedal steel and my only guitar( to you) .I'm on the waiting list for a , and kidney transplant, a now you want your money back, I don't have it to pay it back.

• Members

Well, don't worry. You didn't do anything wrong. But you probably need to report it because if this guy gets caught later on selling other stuff you might be looked at as receiving stolen property. This guy might be the kind of guy to take you down with him. He might say "I told the guy the guitar was stolen, he's the one that told me to steal it" I mean don't trust anyone. Go do a report on it. They won't take your guitar away because they don't know it's stolen.

If the police end up finding out it is stolen then he WILL return your money and you can probably get more money out of him.

He's on the waiting list for a kidney and he's broke so he's stealing stuff to get the money for it. Go to your sheriff's department.

• Members
So, I emailed this guy a link to ebays policy page on altered serial numbers. This goes against ebay policies needless to say. This was his reply (below). What next????

Do what you gotta do. I can't return your money. it's been spent . My wife and I live on a fixed income, I just sold my pedal steel and my only guitar( to you) .I'm on the waiting list for a , and kidney transplant, a now you want your money back, I don't have it to pay it back.

:lol: Kidney transplant my ass.

• Members

Theives.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

A buddy of mine had a blueburst Strat Plus stolen from his house a few years back. Filed the police report, got insurance money on it, and then bought another guitar.

Like 2 years later he shows up to audition for this band, and the guitar player comes tripping in with this Fender case that had a couple of stickers on it that my buddy recognized. Dude opens up the case and it's the stolen guitar. Apparently the kid had bought it at a pawn shop a few months earlier. My buddy had the receipts from when he bought it new that had the serial info on it. He turned it into the cops, cops confiscated it, pwned the pawn shop, and then kept the guitar because the insurance company had paid a claim on it and they wanted it back. Guitar sat at the police station for another 6 months or so with no word from the insurance people, so my buddy went up there, told them it was his guitar and he was there to pick it up and they gave it to him without any fuss.

• Members

The latest from me:

XXX, I hope you understand my position on this. I'm in no way looking to add to your grief here. If you absolutely refuse to refund my money, I can only file a Paypal dispute to recover my funds. When I do this, Paypal will be made aware of the situation. The auction was insured by Paypal, I'll get my money, but you stand to lose much more. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I promise you. Please reconsider!!!

His reply:

Tim I'm done talking...You added to my grief, you are a jerk

• Members

The latest from me:

XXX, I hope you understand my position on this. I'm in no way looking to add to your grief here. If you absolutely refuse to refund my money, I can only file a Paypal dispute to recover my funds. When I do this, Paypal will be made aware of the situation. The auction was insured by Paypal, I'll get my money, but you stand to lose much more. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I promise you. Please reconsider!!!

His reply:

Tim I'm done talking...You added to my grief, you are a jerk

Ask for the link of the auction he bought it on or the name of the dealer to verify his story.

Thats what I would have done to defend myself.

Archived