Friday Influneces Thread 02-11-11 get in here!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Bill Evans... my favorite pianist. He plays so "out" without being out. If you don't pay attention, it's almost cocktail music, but not by a long shot. Heavy and deep. God, I absolutely forgot about that album. I've go to to get it. Tony Bennett too. Great choice LCK.

• Members

The album version of this just came up in my Rhapsody playlist (there are about 4000 songs in my current one, so I don't hear the same stuff all that often)... and I was just devastated by the haunting songs of the whales that form the background. This live performance appears to use the same [obviously pre-recorded ;) ] backtrack...

The juxtaposition of the human song ["... in hopes to find riches in hunting the whale..."] with the strange and beautiful whale song is pointed and poignant...

[video=youtube;qV29xK2xyZ4]

In another thread in this forum, I'd previously mentioned the great UK folksinger Martin Carthy's arrangement of the old folk song "Scarborough Fair" that he taught to a certain American songwriter.* Here's a recording of Carthy:

[video=youtube;aHHrHlRxbqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHHrHlRxbqY

*who had a mammoth success with a very similar arrangement that also interwove some original material and was credited solely to him and his then-partner; when asked about the sole claim of credit, that songwriter suggested he had nothing to do with the credits on sheet music and records and that it was the action of his publishers

• Members

I know I'm in a minority here with my weird @ass taste, but here are some other influences of mine.

Anything David Sylvian is involved in is pure genius

[video=youtube;mCYr2T01ibk]

R.I.P. Mr. Ellis:

[video=youtube;qbSKn3a9bDI]

My one of my favorite pop stars right now.

[video=youtube;TpLXQorSQe8]

My other favorite pop star

[video=youtube;pwnefUaKCbc]

• Moderators

...I know I'm in a minority here with my weird @ass taste...

Hardly! You might be surprised with how varied and deep the roots grow around here. I love the Janelle Monae. "Some people talk about it, like they know all about it..." Yeah. Cool. :)

How about this? [video=youtube;JhW1Spd4GlE]

Archived