Suggest an amp to me oh mighty amp people!

heartben

• Members

you sure you need a full 30 watter?

if not-- i'd recommend the ac15hwtv.. that {censored}er brings some SERIOUS rock when you turn it out, and it's a 112, easier to huck around, and honestly sounds amazing. i've seen 'em for like $1100-1200 used.

that with a celestion blue? sheeeit..

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

i dont know how many watts i need.

i need it to be able to be loud enough for unmiced shows. is a 15 watt 1x12 enough for that? i dont want to sacrifice a ton of tone, im always afraid 1x12 just wont cut it. but ... idk.

guess it just depends on how loud you play, and how big the stages are. i don't have any issues with it being loud, that's for sure-- but you do have to think about speakers and efficiency. that amp's pretty loud... the ac30 is pretty rediculously loud-- but has more clean headroom.

• Members

i dont know how many watts i need.

i need it to be able to be loud enough for unmiced shows. is a 15 watt 1x12 enough for that? i dont want to sacrifice a ton of tone, im always afraid 1x12 just wont cut it. but ... idk.

I played a show a couple of summers ago at one of those festivals in the park kind of things and when I showed up to get setup the jackasses who came before us were hogging all the channels on the board. I ended up having to use just my amp. It was horrible. You need to be mic'd up or nobody is going to hear you unless they're right in front of you and then all they're going to hear is you.

• Members

I played a show a couple of summers ago at one of those festivals in the park kind of things and when I showed up to get setup the jackasses who came before us were hogging all the channels on the board. I ended up having to use just my amp. It was horrible. You need to be mic'd up or nobody is going to hear you unless they're right in front of you and then all they're going to hear is you.

oof.. outside shows are just demonic watt hogs though... you could have 200 watts and still fight with that... walls really help!

15-20 watts is pretty great for something you gain out-- but loud and clean it's not with a single 12. if you want that-- the ac30 might be a better choice-- but i still manage to play as loud as a drummer and a bassist with a gk400, cleans a'la volume knob. it's less flexible in some ways-- but it's immediate and sounds fantastic. just depends what yer used to.

• Members

oof.. outside shows are just demonic watt hogs though... you could have 200 watts and still fight with that... walls really help!

15-20 watts is pretty great for something you gain out-- but loud and clean it's not with a single 12. if you want that-- the ac30 might be a better choice-- but i still manage to play as loud as a drummer and a bassist with a gk400, cleans a'la volume knob. it's less flexible in some ways-- but it's immediate and sounds fantastic. just depends what yer used to.

I was playing my Dual Rec for that show so no shortage of volume. Still, without me being in the PA the only people who could hear me were the folks in front of my cab, which had to be pointed off to the side to keep from killing the singers.

• Members
  • Members

Vox (preferably the JMI) AC 30 gets my vote as a safe thing.
However I did seriously consider a Heritage Handwired AC15.
Loud as hell and tone to burn at just the "right" volume.

It depends on whether your going to do mainly club shows or larger outdoor gigs.
I ended up buying a Badcat Cub IIR which is AWESOME and the best amp I've ever used.
It gives my 1962 AC30 a run for it's money volume wise as well!
(If another band hogged the desk during a mic up and the engineer refused to do something about it, then they and he are unprofessional c@#ts).
Either way, you'd need to mic an AC30 for a larger outdoor show anyway.

• Members

oh, btw - im down to buy used. thats probably how i would prefer it anyways.

so we have 1 or 2 votes for an ac30 it seems? or is that one special somehow?

If you want Thrice tones, get an AC30 will get you there. Probably a pedal or two for dirt, I don't know if Dustin or that asian guy use pedals for more gain/overdrive, I couldn't see their pedal board from where I was at, even though I was at the front.

Long sentence was long.

• Members

I seem to recall that Teppei had (and possibly still has) a Rat pedal on his board, but I haven't the slightest idea how heavily he leans upon it.

I'm tempted to recommend a Genz Benz Black Pearl, but I'm not sure if you could get the 2x12 for under $1000.

Archived