Tired of getting flak for using a modelling amp...

LR Weizel

• Members

At one point my rig was a POD XT going into a Mackie powered speaker (for guitar and bass depending upon what I was playing at the time) it sounded fine and the stage volume wasn't punishing. No one complained about my tone, of course no one complemented me either...

dang... who's point did I just support? :confused::p

• Members

I have the 60VTX also...and I love the sounds but was wondering if yours also lacks headroom in the cleans and doesn't really get all that loud. When I say that, this is in comparison to my Crate V32 and Mesa Rectoverb . I can turn the volume and gain both to 3 o'clock and the master to noon, while still sitting in front of the amp (recto setting). If I did that with my Mesa, the house would shake.
:confused:

Raz ... I can't say. I don't gig anymore so it's not been out of my music room. On the 60 watt setting it sure is loud though. I've always used only 50 watts when gigging. I have always miked my amps through the PA. I love the dynamics I get doing this.

• Members

Tube amps aren't really all that practical for me due to limited space - I don't want to get a Tube amp for Tube's sake. The only smaller Tube amp that interested me was the Tiny Terror - but without and effects loop it's not practical.

You don't really need an effects loop, they are nice, but I always run my pedals up front anyway because of what I play,

There are "tube" guys out there ready to bash any amp thats NOT tube bassed simply on that alone, Don't listen to them, technology has come so far that it can be hard to tell the difference anymore.

As far as tube amps sounding like {censored} at bedroom levels, I strongly disagree, I have one thats only about 5 watts and only has one knob on it that is probably one of the best sounding single amps Iv'e ever heard, I would never sell it to be blunt,

Play what ever trips your trigger and makes you happy.

• Members

You don't really need an effects loop, they are nice, but I always run my pedals up front anyway because of what I play,

There are "tube" guys out there ready to bash any amp thats NOT tube bassed simply on that alone, Don't listen to them, technology has come so far that it can be hard to tell the difference anymore.

As far as tube amps sounding like {censored} at bedroom levels, I strongly disagree, I have one thats only about 5 watts and only has one knob on it that is probably one of the best sounding single amps Iv'e ever heard, I would never sell it to be blunt,

The effects loop depends on your gain stage. If your overdrive is pedal driven then the effects loop is not necessary. But if you use an amp channel...it absolutely is for time based effects such as delay.....

• Members

Well yeah, 5 watt amps are going to be great for Bedroom levels, but rubbish for Clean headroom.

I don't like running distortion without reverb either.

• Members

The effects loop depends on your gain stage. If your overdrive is pedal driven then the effects loop is not necessary. But if you use an amp channel...it absolutely is for time based effects such as delay.....

Flanger/Chorus can sound a lot more "Natural" run up front... but with delay, you're distorting the delay and when you use overdrive it means it's upping the level of the signal until it distorts, meaning the delay also gets boosted and the fade of it gets totally messed up, each one is roughly the same volume.

It's a great approach for doing spooky effects and {censored}, but I like to use delay for leads a lot too.

• Members

True, But it also depends on if your using stomp boxes or a processor

• Members

Well yeah, 5 watt amps are going to be great for Bedroom levels, but rubbish for Clean headroom.

You never played my amp, you may not ever have a chance to play one, and with a processor in front of it it can do anything, even sound as full as my 4x12, just much more quiet of course.

• Members

Most of the Snax clips I hear are better than 85% of the tube amp clips I've heard on these forums.

In my experience, anything that can record direct has better chances of sounding better, simply because there are less variables to {censored} up. No mic placement issues, no "the amp was having a bad day," or anything like that.

• Members

In my experience, anything that can record direct has better chances of sounding better, simply because there are less variables to {censored} up. No mic placement issues, no "the amp was having a bad day," or anything like that.

Yeah, I love going direct with my Amplug. It's a tiny SS device but it's nice and clear.

Archived