SHOCKMOUNTED ROADCASE

Mikoo69

• Members

i am getting a head/rack combo roadcase built

i was wondering how important it is to have the rack shockmounted? its $200 less to just have the rack built in, i guess with space on the sides. i do not have anything expensive in the rack, just a power conditioner, tuner, a drawer for cables/pedals and a shelf for pedals.

im ordering from casekits.com. all the other places seem to shockmount their racks except casekits. is this a problem? should i spend the extra money?

• Members

i am going to be touring with this. however like i said, its only home to some pedals and a furman and a rack tuner. the case should be protective enough for that stuff i imagine.

why would the shockmounted case ad more size to the case? its a 24 inch long head and a 19 inch long rack, i dont see where the extra size comes in, other than a couple of inches on top and bottom.

basically its between something like this:

http://hybridcases.com/11/ (no shockmount)

or this:

http://www.rockhardcases.com/index.php?page=amp-head-rack-combo

P.S. i will save about $300 to get it without shockmount.

• Members

i am going to be touring with this. however like i said, its only home to some pedals and a furman and a rack tuner. the case should be protective enough for that stuff i imagine.

why would the shockmounted case ad more size to the case? its a 24 inch long head and a 19 inch long rack, i dont see where the extra size comes in, other than a couple of inches on top and bottom.

basically its between something like this:

(no shockmount)

or this:

P.S. i will save about $300 to get it without shockmount.

I had the spring loaded shock mount and the added inches all the way around made it hard to get my arms around it to carry through door ways or lower into backseats etc.

• Members

Dont shock mount it unless you are a touring act. Unless you want to struggle carrying it. (they are huge)

tr00f.

and don't get the rack and head case built together.

they're too {censored}ing big.

i know what you are probably thinking.

you probably want to have everything in one case, and just pop the lids and turn it on. easy right? looks pro right?

sure.

but they're TOO {censored}ING BIG! they really are more of a hassle than anything.

get a head case, and a seperate rack case for your rack stuff.

its way easier that way, trust me.

i just got rid of my 10 space ata shockmout rack case because it was a cumbersome, heavy, akward pain in the ass to transport.

• Members

i dont think it will be too big.

so they offered me the option of having the rack flush left, and then there would be a large space for storage next to the rack. would it be possible to built some sort of drawer in that space? or i could just keep the rack centered and put foam in the spaces for extra protection/cosmetics.

• Members

tr00f.

and don't get the rack and head case built together.

they're too {censored}ing big.

i know what you are probably thinking.

you probably want to have everything in one case, and just pop the lids and turn it on. easy right? looks pro right?

sure.

but they're TOO {censored}ING BIG! they really are more of a hassle than anything.

get a head case, and a seperate rack case for your rack stuff.

its way easier that way, trust me.

i just got rid of my 10 space ata shockmout rack case because it was a cumbersome, heavy, akward pain in the ass to transport.

I disagree with everything in this post.

• Members

you only want to buy one.

save up and buy a shockmounted case thats too big so you can grow into it.

{censored} while youre at it get a headcase shockmounted built in.

i made the mistake of buying a 4 space case from carvin for my bass head and i wish now i wouldve gotten at least a 12 spacer now a days

• Members

i dont think it will be too big.

so they offered me the option of having the rack flush left, and then there would be a large space for storage next to the rack. would it be possible to built some sort of drawer in that space? or i could just keep the rack centered and put foam in the spaces for extra protection/cosmetics.

I have my rack on the side like you mention, it's nice, I store cables and stuff on the sides.

• Members

I disagree with everything in this post.

Do you gig with no roadies?

If it is a permanent installation I agree but then what is the point of shock mount?

I like to watch the monster rig threads. Wait 2 months after it is finished then check their spam sigs for all the crap they loaded their racks up with.

It is a hobby of mine.

• Members

I'd agree with going with 2 separate cases, but if you're dead set on getting the all in one, you should heed the above advice to go with the shock mount and a few spaces bigger than you need. The shock mount will go a long way towards protecting your gear, and is $300 more really that big of a difference compared to a $1000+ head, or having to deal with gear breakdowns on the road? Depending on what head you have, you might be able to save some cash by picking one up used...

• Members

greg, did you build a drawer in that extra storage space, or just put cables in there? have a picture of your case?

I didn't build a drawer, just left it open. All my cables sit in there fine. I also have a 2 space rack drawer though in my rack, which holds all my strings/batteries/tools/random crap.

I'm going to dig and see if I can't find some better pictures (I know I have some, just don't know where). This is the only one I can find as of right now, sorry my ugly mug is blocking the view.

l_b5a39bd09fdb4fb3bfd17e725950f8f8.jpg

You can see the rack drawer on the bottom of my drawer space, and the open spot. I just roll all my cables up right there. I let a friend borrow it on his Canada tour and he actually put a fan there, greatest idea ever.

edit: found one:

l_73866e244633910555b1df658d293011.jpg

btw it has recessed latches and handles now too.

• Members

the bassman head is only 22 inches wide, so that would probably only give me 3 inches of storage space. maybe im better off keeping the rack dead center then and putting some foam in between the walls and the rack for extra protection. 3 inches of storage space is barely enough for cables. maybe ill get a 7 space rack and a 3 space drawer instead.

• Members

I would definitely go with a rack drawer. 3 space and 4 space are pretty big which make them pretty nice for holding a lot.

Foam on the sides probably won't do much. The way the shock rack works is a little different. The rack is actually it's own rack that is floating inside the foam. So you'll have foam fully surrounding the rack on bottom/top/sides. That's what allows it to move during big shocks. If you only put foam on the sides, it's going to still be attached to the top and bottom meaning each shock you hit is going to hit the rack for sure.

edit:

notice the foam around the rack:

amprack2.jpg

• Members

Just be careful. I had a head/6 space roadcase and it was pretty big (about the size of a 4x12) and HEAVY. If you have to lift and load it yourself it may be difficult. I had the same problem with rack drawers. I had a 10 space rack with a 3 space rack drawer. While I loved being able to load my cable/pedals/etc in it, it made the rack almost too heavy for 1 person. Just some things to think about. Now if you have a truck with ramps and a loading dock at your rehearsal space or roadies, this won't be a problem.

• Members

I'm with sparky and jim. I've run a nearly full 14 space shockmount rig (two slots left for venting/future expansion {a whole other "duh" topic} and a four space drawer for my midi controller cables and {censored}) and that thing is stoopid to move around.

for the first few months, it was pretty slick to load in the back of my truck then wheel across the flats, but then it turned out that I was encountering one flight of stairs after another...total pain in the balls. it's also more space on stage. looks cool, super-slick to just pop the lids and go, but after a while I ditched some stuff and went to two four-space boxes.

• Members

Do what you want, but listen to everyone's opinions on why or why not to get one. I love mine. It's convenient and it keeps my gear safe from our {censored}ty, rackity trailer. I have to load it every show, but never by myself. Stairs are heavy, but if you take off the doors (and hold it steady) you loose a ton of the weight.

Plus if we're every playing a smaller stage where it won't fit, it's not that hard to pull my head out of the case and wheel it back in the trailer while we play.

• Members
I would definitely go with a rack drawer. 3 space and 4 space are pretty big which make them pretty nice for holding a lot.

Foam on the sides probably won't do much. The way the shock rack works is a little different. The rack is actually it's
own
rack that is floating inside the foam. So you'll have foam fully surrounding the rack on bottom/top/sides. That's what allows it to move during big shocks. If you only put foam on the sides, it's going to still be attached to the top and bottom meaning each shock you hit is going to hit the rack for sure.

edit:

notice the foam around the rack:

amprack2.jpg

Possibly the best rack/head case I've seen.
This is exactly what I'm looking for. About the size of a 412, maybe a little taller and will fit side by side in the back of my jeep.
Perfect.

• Members

Do what you want, but listen to everyone's opinions on why or why not to get one. I love mine. It's convenient and it keeps my gear safe from our {censored}ty, rackity trailer. I have to load it every show, but never by myself. Stairs are heavy, but if you take off the doors (and hold it steady) you loose a ton of the weight.

Plus if we're every playing a smaller stage where it won't fit, it's not that hard to pull my head out of the case and wheel it back in the trailer while we play.

Even better would be to stick a 212 cab on top - it has about the same footprint and should only take up a little more space than the cab alone. Plus it gets your short cab off the ground where you can hear it better.

Archived