OT: PC Builder Techs in here

boogieman75

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Boogieman, here... I'll make it very easy for you

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9366642&type=product&id=1218092150864

I priced out the same stuff on newegg assuming a $100 for an antec case and 500 watt psu.

The only thing I would change would be to get a velociraptor for the operating system and use the TB drive for data storage. The velociraptor is so much faster than any of the sata 3.0 7200 rpm drives I've owned as well as the 75 gig 2nd gen 10,000 rpm raptor drive.

As good as solid state drives really, better in some tests (certainly the price per gig)

• Members
Boogieman, here... I'll make it very easy for you

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9366642&type=product&id=1218092150864

I priced out the same stuff on newegg assuming a $100 for an antec case and 500 watt psu.

The only thing I would change would be to get a velociraptor for the operating system and use the TB drive for data storage. The velociraptor is so much faster than any of the sata 3.0 7200 rpm drives I've owned as well as the 75 gig 2nd gen 10,000 rpm raptor drive.

As good as solid state drives really, better in some tests (certainly the price per gig)

Gat Dam!!! that's what I am talking about....+ my local BB has it in stock!!!! :love: THANKS!!!!

• Members

You don't have to go with an i7. You could save a ton of money going with a Core-2-Duo or Core-2-Quad and an appropriate setup.

One thing I would do is get the a 10K SATA drive, and FAST memory.

I've got a Core-2-Quad 3.0GHz processor, Sonar 8 Producer, and 4GB RAM on Vista 64...untweaked. I've recorded 16 channels via Prosonus FireStudio (chained) w/ beta drivers and it doesn't even blink with a good number of effects.

The computer itself is a Shuttle XPC (which is dead quiet, unlike the whir-boxes posted above). :)

• Members

A solid state drive is a {censored}load faster in random reads and writes, which is what the OS is doing most. The Velociraptor does well in sequential writes, which generally happen when writing large files. SSDs are of course pretty expensive still. You can get a 300 GB Velociraptor for around 200

• Members

If he were to go i7, wouldn't he need his ram in multiples of 3? since they've switched to triple channel ram on most of those boards?

Not necessary. The newer P55 chipset boards use dual channel, but you could just as well run in dual channel on the X58 chipset boards without noticing any real performance difference. I don't see 4 vs 6 GB making much of a difference either since few programs require anywhere close to even 4 GB.

• Members

If he were to go i7, wouldn't he need his ram in multiples of 3? since they've switched to triple channel ram on most of those boards?

the best buy system has 9 gigs...

Laxu, by the time SSD prices are reasonable, you can buy two velociraptors and put them in raid.

I've built a couple of I7 systems with SSD drives and a couple with veloicraptors and even though the SSD drives perform faster in read speed and random access tests in benchmarking the drives, it doesn't amount to much (if any) real world noticeably. I certainly couldn't tell the difference.

• Members

I was gonna ask you that, you see a big difference between normal drive and raptor? Cuz the new HDD's are getting scary close to benching up there with Raptors..

-D

• Members
I'll throw in some quick suggestions. Yes, I've built PCs, probably a dozen or more.
:)

I like
Intel
and ASUS motherboards, and another vote for
Antec
cases.

Plan on running 2 hard drives - one (C: ) for you OS and applications, and a second one (D: ) for the recording files. Both should be SATA 3Gb/s. The second drive should be a 7,200 rpm drive at least.

Your interface is FireWire, right? Get a firewire card with the T.I. chip, it's supposedly more stable than the more common VIA firewire chipset.

Integrated video is OK for windows and recording apps, but if you use this PC for any gaming at all, plan on getting a plug-in video card. Also get a video card if you're going to run 2 monitors - which you should.
:thu:

Fry's (and presumably other computer/electronic) stores sell an "OEM version of Windows for system builders". It's just the install CD/DVD in a paper sleeve, no support is included, but it's less than half the price of buying the OS "off the shelf".

You'll need to run a 64-bit OS to make any use of RAM beyond 3 GB. That can be a problem because not all hardware has 64-bit drivers available. Do your homework before you jump into the 64-bit swimmin' pool.

Sure it's nice to have a fast, powerful PC, but recording audio isn't as computing-intensive as you might think. Unless you're recording a bunch of tracks simultaneously, AND running a bunch of plug-ins realtime, you probably don't need a "state of the art" PC. Some of that extra cash might be better spent on upgrading your monitor speakers, mics or room treatment. :poke:
:)
(Hope I'm not being presumptive here) The quality of a digital recording depends on the quality of your mics and your interface, the computer may process faster than an old one, but a new PC won't make recording sound better just because it's got 12G of RAM and the newest version of windows.

You're far better off having two HDD's - one external, one internal. Use the external for backups. Use the internal for everything else.

If you can use 3...stripe one pair of disks, and have the external for backups.

The biggest bottleneck for recording is in the disk(s).

As for keeping the OS and data seperate, easily done with a partition. You still need to do backups.

Even then, I agree with you that you don't need a lot of "system HP" to record with. I just decided to max out the platform for what I have with the Shuttle XPC. I love those little boxes....and when I decide to upgrade again (in 3-5 years!), I'll look at what they offer then.

Archived