How does a Mesa Boogie Studio 22+ sound?

Deicide1

• Members

ha! exile on my {censored} like white on rice.

they'll do metal-- but they're soft and squishy in the gain-- not big and stern sounding at all. they're more like high gain blues amps for singsongy lead stuff.

if you drop your gain way back, and clean boost them-- you can get some mean tones out of them-- but you really need a cabinet suited for it. with the regular speaker... pffft. no.

they're great for lower volume chuggin though.

they're pretty mutable beasts it must be said-- but it's impossible to say how it'll react to what YOU want without knowing what that is. i used mine ONLY on the clean channel and took my gain from the power section.

mines actually being sold off right now for another 18 watter though-- it served me really well- but it did take some work to get it to do what i wanted it to!

• Members

If they have the EQ and you run them to a closed back extension cab, they'll do metal just fine. The power section is only 20 W so it tends to get a little squishy for metal with a loud drummer, but with something more modest they're great. They cover a ton of ground sonically. I agree that as a grab-n-go amp, they're probably at their very best.

Like most Boogies, they react very well with some pedals and extremely poorly with others. The clean channel handles pedals very well, so I've frequently used more of a true distortion/fuzz on that channel rather than boosting the gain channel.

If the price is good, I'd go for it. I've had mine for years and can't see any reason to ever get rid of it. I have lots of other amps too. The .22+ just does a lot of different things very well in a nice little package.

Archived