8ohm "head" and 16ohm speaker cab?

seanm27

• Members

I'm thinking about buying a 1x12 speaker cab to use with a modified Honeytone amp as a head.

The thing is that the output on the Honeytone is 8ohm and the cabs I'm considering (Valve Jr, or possibly the Blackheart BH112) are both 16ohm input.

Is that ok or will there be a problem?

• Members

wait, is that an ss amp?

I googled it and all I found is this little mini amp that runs on a 9V battery. If that's what you're talking about, it's SS and should be fine. The volume will be reduced though.

Yes it is VERY SS! It is a little 1w (?) travel amp.

Thanks man I really appreciate the info =-)

• Members

At that wattage/volume, I don't know. Despite the conflicting info I've read about this subject, running a low resistance level amp current into a higher resistance cab seems like a bad idea to me under most circumstances. I'd also guess that a little travel amp like that is probably not equipped with the most robust transformers in the world. I'd play it safe, and look into a lopo, AB, or Avatar 112 with an 8 ohm speaker.

• Members
At that wattage/volume, I don't know. Despite the conflicting info I've read about this subject, running a low resistance level amp current into a higher resistance cab seems like a bad idea to me under most circumstances. I'd also guess that a little travel amp like that is probably not equipped with the most robust transformers in the world. I'd play it safe, and look into a lopo, AB, or Avatar 112 with an 8 ohm speaker.

Its SS, not tube. It'll be fine. It just won't put out quite as much power.

Archived