Friday Influences Thread 06-24-11

Lee Knight

• Members
A guy I recorded with is featured on that show. His name is Mutlu... I'll dig up some of his stuff. Wicked singer...

Interestingly, he just posted this pic this morning of him opening for Hall and Oates in Atlanta.

mutlu.jpg

• Moderators

One of my all time favorite rock/pop groups. Del Amitri from Edinburgh. Hey new/old live footage. Awesome! Justin Currie is great. I love his no bull{censored} prose with his eye always on the song.

As I read about divorce and mediation and arbitration and custody and division of assets and... yeah well, 'let's kiss this thing goodbye' just about sums it up. And it rocks!

It seems like weeks since you looked at me baby
without that look of distaste
I don't know why your feelings are changing
but I've seen it in your face
All those times when our lips were kissing
our tongues were telling lies
And all those signs that I've been missing
were right there in your eyes.

So come on babe, let's kiss this thing goodbye.

I sometimes feel when we're together baby,
everything has turned out wrong
and I know you feel exactly the same way
but still we carry on.
I've been waiting up by the window
watching these cars go by
And I tell myself that I'll go through the motions
for the last time tonight.

So come on babe, let's kiss this thing goodbye.

Now I'm watching the fumes foul up the sunrise
I'm watching the light fade away
And I'm hoping tonight that I'll open the door
and you'll stand here and say

Come on babe, let's kiss this thing goodbye
Better make it sooner than later
Before it all turns sour
We'd better kiss this thing
Goodbye.

• Members

Just was reacquainted with these guys... SMOD. They've got that Malian blues/rap thing going on, but, of course, it doesn't sound anything like American blues or rap.

[video=youtube;Xn-X4V2oTXE]

Here's more of their rap side... hip-hop-phobes might be plesantly surprised. Or not. You'll see an acoustic guitar in almost every sequence, unusual, maybe, for American rap, but in Mali, the guitar is pretty much king of the musical hill.

PS... SMOD's bespectacled guitar slinger is my new hero. He is the geek ne plus ultra.

• Members

[video=youtube;-uKl3xeBVY4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uKl3xeBVY4

As far as I know, this is an unsigned artist..

.. I just thought that it's a sort of special song. A really good use of musical space.. Hopefully she will come up with a few more of these experiences in the future.

I was just interested in what you songwriters thought of the tune, as a song.... ?!?

• Members

Hey, Rimmer! Good to see you again. I'm going to take the liberty of moving this (yeah, they were crazy enough to make me mod in this forum) to the current Friday Influences Thread -- which is where we talk about other people's music. (Damn rules. :D )

I don't have a chance to listen right now but I will when I get one!

• Members

Hey, Rimmer
!
Good to see you again. I'm going to take the liberty of moving this (yeah, they were crazy enough to make me mod in this forum) to the current Friday Influences Thread -- which is where we talk about other people's music. (Damn rules.
:D
)

I don't have a chance to listen right now but I will when I get one
!

Oops.. Thought this might fit in the songwriters forum, but if you have a better place mate, then go for it :thu:...

Do check it out thought as it's quite awesome...

Regards. Rimmer

• Members
Oops.. Thought this might fit in the songwriters forum, but if you have a better place mate, then go for it
:thu:

Do check it out thought as it's quite awesome...

Regards. Rimmer

No prob! We just had to file it in the right slot. Now that you know about the Friday Influences Thread, feel free to brings us all your cool finds! (There's a new one every Friday. Which is good 'cause there are often over 50 posts or so -- often with a lot of YouTube embeds. ;) )

Archived