Check out what I did this weekend!!!!

MattACaster

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Awesome dude!

I've flown a cessna 172 over the coast of daytona, 1,000 feet up is all!
It was very awesome, espcially if you've got a passion for flight, which I do.

I've been heavily considering my private pilots for a while. Lately I've been considering going to helicopter flight school:thu: (and working my way up to CFII)

Really pisses me off that nothing caters to it very well in chicago, I thought for sure there would be something worthwhile..

• Members

Awesome dude!

I've flown a cessna 172 over the coast of daytona, 1,000 feet up is all!

It was very awesome, espcially if you've got a passion for flight, which I do.

I've been heavily considering my private pilots for a while. Lately I've been considering going to helicopter flight school:thu: (and working my way up to CFII)

Really pisses me off that nothing caters to it very well in chicago, I thought for sure there would be something worthwhile..

I flew out of Chicago Executive which might not be too far fro your neck of the woods. :)

• Members

Playing flight sims since I was 10 has worked me into the habit of using instruments... which I guess I wasn't supposed to.... Either that or the instructor was being a dick...
:D

When you go for your checkride, your examiner is going to be watching for this. So its a good habit to break and the sooner the better.

I remember when I first started flying. Best wishes in your flight training.

A word of caution: If you are going for the flying career...Avoid the airlines like the plague. Go fractional. Check out these guys:

Netjets (a berkshire hathaway company) That Warren Buffet fella.

• Members

s that a Piper Arrow? My first flight was in a PA-28, great fun.

I also spent a few years flying these in Air Cadets which was great fun - learning aerobatics was awesome:

grob_tutor_2.jpg

I'm quite proud of taking this photo:

loop.jpg

Hope you can afford to stick with it man, it's great fun. :D

• Members

s that a Piper Arrow? My first flight was in a PA-28, great fun.

I also spent a few years flying these in Air Cadets which was great fun - learning aerobatics was awesome:

grob_tutor_2.jpg

I'm quite proud of taking this photo:

loop.jpg

Hope you can afford to stick with it man, it's great fun.

Nah, it's a Beech Sundowner. It was either that or a choice between two Cessna 172s. I've been up in 172s before so I figured I'd try something new.

Great pics, man!!!!

• Members

Seriously??

You fly with your eyes outside the cockpit and scan your gauges and instruments occaisionally. The only time you should be looking down all the time is for IFR where you can't see outside. Looking at instruments to much in VFR flight is not good. You don't want to miss that other plane heading your direction because you were watching your attitude indicator too much.

• Members

You fly with your eyes outside the cockpit and scan your gauges and instruments occaisionally. The only time you should be looking down all the time is for IFR where you can't see outside. Looking at instruments to much in VFR flight is not good. You don't want to miss that other plane heading your direction because you were watching your attitude indicator too much.

Oh ok, got ya.

The reason I was looking at them so much is because I was trying to get an idea for what level was. The Sundowner flies level with it's nose pointing down so I was trying to get a baseline for that. After about 20 minutes I got better at it and quick looking at the panel. :thu:

• Members

congrats man! flying is a blast.

not to rain on the parade but my friend/old guitar teacher's brother died on his final certification day in a plane like that (with his instructor). I stay away from the little guys. I fly too much already.

Yikes! Sorry to hear it!

My Mom had a friend she used to work with died in a light plane crash like that. We've never been able to get her to go up in one because of it.

• Members

Playing flight sims since I was 10 has worked me into the habit of using instruments... which I guess I wasn't supposed to.... Either that or the instructor was being a dick...

Yep, I had the same problem. Almost made myself sick doing that once :lol: But ya, like the other guys said, you gotta learn to watch the window and scan the instruments. Sounds like you're getting the idea though. They'll also block out an instrument to simulate a failure, to see if you can compensate for the lose of that instrument.

• Members

I had the same instrument issue, could never look outside, not precise enough.

I flew for years right seat with my father in A LOT of hard IFR.

When I went to go get my ticket, I couldn't get my eyes off the instruments at all as I was used to scanning them.

Then one day, my CFI covered every damn instrument besides the altitude and VSI.

"Learn to fly visually"

He did that for about 3/4 lessons straight. Even had to get the mushy feeling of the plane when it was about to stall, etc.

Either way, the PPL is a fun license. The instrument tears you down and makes you question if you really wanna fly airplanes in the IFR environment. Essentially, the IFR is all work no play.

Did you guys go do any stalls, steep turns or anything? Or was this just a pure Disco flight around the city?

• Members

Try flying by instruments with this!!!

standard_new.jpg

Sec. 91.205 - Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements.

T.O.M.A.T.O. F.L.A.M.E.S.

Tach

Oil pressure

Manifold pressure

Altimeter

Temp sensor (liquid cooled engines)

Oil Temp (air cooled engines)

Fuel guage

Landing gear position indicator (if not down and welded)

Airspeed indicator

Mag Compass

Elt

Seatbelts

(notice no mention of an attitude gyro.)

f.l.a.p.s. for night

Fuses

Landing light

Anticollison lights

Position Lights

Source of elect

When you go for your instrument ticket you will learn all about G.R.A.B.

C.A.R.D. and that will require an attitude gyro.

You can read the reg here if you don't have a FAR/AIM yet

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part91-205-FAR.shtml

Have fun man. Its fun learning!!!

• Members
Try flying by instruments with this!!!

standard_new.jpg

Have fun man. Its fun learning!!!

I remember the instrument training and can remember at one point my CFII (Was an ex navy instructor, he's now 72 years old- still fly with him all the time for fun) covering up every instrument besides the Tach and compass just for hoots.

Tach for up and down, compass for wings and level.

Doing that for .5 was enough for me. :facepalm:

• Members
No, the big problem is that plane isn't this...

P51-Mustang%20Roush.jpg

It's cool though... I'll get there....
;)

I love those old planes. I would rather fly that one too. They are like old flying hot rods in the sky. Even a Russian La-7 or a P47 jug would be cool. I love the sound of a German BF-109. :love:

Archived