When a Song doesn't sound right with the whole band?!?

New Trail

• Members

I have a song that the band learned and it just doesn't work for me somehow. I think the bones of the song, the chords, lyrics and melody are solid, but something just isn't jelling. We're on the second verson now. The first version was choppy sounding, so I asked the bass player to change his part to flow more, and he happily did, but it still doesn't sound right to me! I know that there's no answer to be had on this forum, but I'm not sure what to try next. I guess I'll think of something!

Has anyone else had this problem? Thoughts?

• Members

I don't play in a band, but I've had this happen while tracking a collaboration with a friend. Sometimes I scrap the idea altogether because I don't have a great feel for it, sometimes I drop the stuff that feels off and run with less and sometimes I figure out exactly what isn't working, fix and move on with it.

You definitely are not alone. :D

• Members

Different bands work in different ways. Some writers have the concept pretty clear in their mind when they present it to the band. Others don't.

Did you ever see the 1968 (I think) film by Jean Luc-Godard - 'Sympathy for the devil'?

The song was really crappy for a long time before they found the groove that brought it to the song we now know.

• Members

Maybe it needs to stay bare bones

....at least for a while.

Play that bare bones version with the band there and try to get them to contribute just a little bit at a time.....maybe just the bass player at first. Just bring in enough to subtly expand what already feels good.

Get them feeling what you are feeling before they chime in.

:cool::wave:

• Members

When that happens to me, it's because I'm not as done with the song as I thought I was.

So, if you write a song and the band learns it and you don't think it's working, rather than working on it as a band, you do some re-writing?

I've thought about that...

Archived