Is this already a genre?

Guitarist+

• Members

Slow, melodic guitar riffs that use minimal gain (think peter frampton type overdrive) played along keyboard that is also slow and melodic, with energetic and occasionally intense drumming (think The Who) and vocals that range from a low-key whisper to a high pitch yell... I wish I could give actual audio samples to what I am talking about but i have yet to find anything that is quite what I am talking about. The Who / Peter Frampton kind of come close but are missing one element or another.

TL;DR - Slow melodic guitar/keyboard, high energy/intense drumming, varied vocal range

• Moderators

First off, if it isn't a genre, go make it one. Instrumental albums can fit into a few different demographics. Maybe that's what you're really asking? Is there a demographic and subsequent genres that will support my idea for the music I'm making? There are. In the middle of all the Smooth Jazz and New Age lies open territory for instrumental rock.

IRS, the iconic label from the 80's, had an offshoot label they called No Speak Records. It was basically a place for rock guitarists to do instrumental work in the midst of the punk take over. Pater Haycock of Climax Blues Band fame did a couple of records as you describe. Look for them. Really good. And he's really great.

Then there's Ronnie Montrose's instrumental release Open Fire where he did a fantastic version of Gene Pitney's Town Without Pity. I saw Montrose tour that album. All instrumental with lead guitar taking the place of voice. It was beautiful.

Check this. Not quite Mooney but...

[video=youtube;ojqSzMOnAi0]

Archived