I pretty much decided that when I'm ready to buy gear again...

guitarbilly74

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
never tried them.. are they any good??

I've still got a 2112 lying around at home. Haven't plugged it in since I got the Axe, but it is a pretty good unit. It's not a modelling unit as such though. There are a few different modes for the tube and SS preamp blocks, and then an EQ (10-band I think?) after each one. Fair few FX in there, and you can run a fair bit at once too.

Only thing I found a bit frustrating was the algorithm interface they used. I can't even be bothered explaining it. :facepalm::o

• Members
I've still got a 2112 lying around at home. Haven't plugged it in since I got the Axe, but it is a pretty good unit. It's not a modelling unit as such though. There are a few different modes for the tube and SS preamp blocks, and then an EQ (10-band I think?) after each one. Fair few FX in there, and you can run a fair bit at once too.

Only thing I found a bit frustrating was the algorithm interface they used. I can't even be bothered explaining it.
:facepalm::o

I'm almost convinced this is what I'm getting. I didn't know it had tubes in it. They're very affordable now.

• Members

GSP1101 is pretty cool. Lot of choices and sounds nice with a stereo cab or set of smaller 212's. Our other guitarist uses one at jams and practices. Runs thru a CS power amp or to the board direct. The models can hang with my AFX. AFX overpowers the GSP1101 in the effects dept. Some late beta firmwares for the GSP1101 have stepped up it's features. The GSP has spillover effects too.

• Members

Billy, I ran a Rockmaster with a G-major, I liked it. Something happened one day though, I just didn't like the sound of it anymore, I could never explain it.

Oddly enough, the dirty model in my 1101 that I'm using is a Digitech model. I'm digging it, I love the quick setup/teardown, and it sounds really good. HKSBlade1 pretty much nailed it for me.

• Members

Funny story:

I like the Johnson J-station more than any other Digitech stuff.

I also like the Johnson J-station more than any of the Line 6 stuff.

However, it's not ideal for live, or real time control :( I don't think. or is it?

That said, the 2120 should sound REALLY close. Vernon Reid and Billy Howerdell used 2101's and 2120's at some point for something.

• Members

I owned a Digitech GSP 1101 and thought it was a good/solid unit, (not great but good) but for whatever reason i liked it MOARRR with my Tubeworks Mosvalve 962 more than my Mesa 20/20, not sure why but i did

As far as pure tonezzz the ADA MP1 will eat it up for lunch (I still own one) and i think the Line 6 vetta is a lil better than the GSP unless your hellbent on toooobzzz.

Billy have you ever considered the Vox tonelab series? I have the orignal blue colored Valvetronix head and its my longest running amp/keeper 4 sure!. I TRULY LOVE the tones coming out of amp, it SLAYYYZZZZ for hard rock tones!! :love:

:rawk:

• Members
Billy have you ever considered the Vox tonelab series? I have the orignal blue colored Valvetronix head and its my longest running amp/keeper 4 sure!. I TRULY LOVE the tones coming out of amp, it SLAYYYZZZZ for hard rock tones!!
:love:

+100000000, I'm still regretting selling mine.

• Members
.. I'm gonna go to the dark side and get a modelling preamp and a nice tube power amp.

The more I think about it the more I want it.

I'm thinking of getting the GSP1010, sounds like a killer unit for the price. Add a nice tube power amp to it and stage sex will follow.

I was using an XTLive w/ a tube power amp for a while and it was a really nice combination.

Frankly, if Lincoln Brewster can get the sexy tones out of it that he does (I swore to God that guy was running through vintage blackfaces and JMPs with booteeek delays/verbs until I saw his gear run through :eek:) then anybody can!

X3 Live is even better. Do it with force.

• Members
I honestly think the new Digitech stuff sounds better than the current L6 stuff. and that's coming from an ex-L6 employee. Although I really did like the L6 SV. That's an option too.

Man I feel exactly the opposite. We have both the new Digitech and the new Line 6 stuff in stock and I cant even put them in the same league. With my eyes closed , I can fool myself into thinking Im playing through the real deal with the Line 6 stuff , but IMO the Digitech cant get anywhere close to believable tube tones. Not for me anyways. They remind me a lot of the old Johnson Millenium stuff. Clean sounds are great , but the dirt on them doesnt do it for me. BTW, I dont blame ya for the modeller + tube power amp setup :thu:

• Members
+100000000, I'm still regretting selling mine.

I hear ya Led, are you considering the Vox again? Is it on the radar? or been there done that? :confused:

Theres not many vids on the amp but heres one that sounds pretty good

[YOUTUBE]KYViVcU6DWM&feature[/YOUTUBE]

This guy has about 2-3 more vids as well

My buddy also has the Vox Tonelab floorboard (With poweramp) and swears by it, (I heard it live and it was nice)

• Members
Man I feel exactly the opposite. We have both the new Digitech and the new Line 6 stuff in stock and I cant even put them in the same league. With my eyes closed , I can fool myself into thinking Im playing through the real deal with the Line 6 stuff , but IMO the Digitech cant get anywhere close to believable tube tones. Not for me anyways. They remind me a lot of the old Johnson Millenium stuff. Clean sounds are great , but the dirt on them doesnt do it for me. BTW, I dont blame ya for the modeller + tube power amp setup
:thu:

Wow, well, you and I certainly have a different opinion!

I'm not going to sit here and say that the GSP1101 rivals an Axe FX or a tube amp, but it's a lot closer to ME than the Line 6 stuff, save for the Spider Valve or Vetta. I've owned and gigged an AX2-212/Flextone II combo and head, HD-147, and a Flextone III, and I never got that "close my eyes" feeling you get, although I enjoyed the amps while I had them.

I definitely like the GSP1101 more with the beta C48 software installed than stock.

• Members

This guy has about 2-3 more vids as well

My buddy also has the Vox Tonelab floorboard (With poweramp) and swears by it, (I heard it live and it was nice)

It's definitely on my radar. I've also been contemplating the Tonelab into the power section of my amp.

• Members
I used to rock a GT-8 into a Classic 60/60 and 1960A. Was a piece of piss to set up and use, very flexible, and through the tube poweramp it actually sounded pretty damn good. Preamp, FX and controller all in one.
:thu:

I had the same rig pretty much - GT8 through a Classic 50/50. It wasn't hard to get a good tone out of that setup!! GT8 sounds awful tracked direct though...

• Members

Oh Billy... I'm wondering if you hurt your head in those car accidents.

Stick with the mapz son. Otherwise... Go snax. It's the best I've heard in that world thus far. I know it's expensive but don't buy down on gear like that. Unless... You get it used at a stupid low price.

• Members
I had the same rig pretty much - GT8 through a Classic 50/50. It wasn't hard to get a good tone out of that setup!! GT8 sounds awful tracked direct though...

Yep, that thing was terrible going direct. That said, given it runs through a poweramp and cab no problem, I'm wondering if it's just the cab sim section in the GT-8 that makes direct use suffer. In which case, running it without cabs and using IRs for cabs might help. Dunno, I never tried it. I had a POD XT that I used for recording (not much better really :o). :idk:

• Members
I owned a Digitech GSP 1101 and thought it was a good/solid unit, (not great but good) but for whatever reason i liked it MOARRR with my Tubeworks Mosvalve 962 more than my Mesa 20/20, not sure why but i did

As far as pure tonezzz the ADA MP1 will eat it up for lunch (I still own one) and i think the Line 6 vetta is a lil better than the GSP unless your hellbent on toooobzzz.

Billy have you ever considered the Vox tonelab series? I have the orignal blue colored Valvetronix head and its my longest running amp/keeper 4 sure!. I TRULY LOVE the tones coming out of amp, it SLAYYYZZZZ for hard rock tones!!

Yeah the ADA sounds like a good plan.

The GSP1010 also sounds better than the 2112 on the clips I heard, but maybe playing one might be a different story.

I really need to keep a tube power amp section though, that's something I can't let go just yet, so the Vetta and Valvetronix are kind of out of question for now.

Archived