What makes a good cab?

MattACaster

• Members

If it has speakers that work, and has impedance that I can use with my amp, it's okay with me.

Bonus points for being manageable in size, lightweight, good-sounding, handles a bit of power, and has wide dispersion (because I usually play without a PA for the guitar sound).

• Members

Metal hardware, and mono/stereo and multiple impedance features on the back plate.

Built like a tank with decent sized casters

Thats pretty much what I told him.

We were also talking finger or dovetail joints, caulking all the seams and trying to figure out colors.

Right now, I'm talking with him about a pair of 2x12s. One that is closed back with some extra depth like a Recto 2x12 for the bottom and an open back thinner 2x12 for the top. :love:

• Members
Right now, I'm talking with him about a pair of 2x12s. One that is closed back with some extra depth like a Recto 2x12 for the bottom and an open back thinner 2x12 for the top.
:love:

Sounds interesting (I already play half-back cabs).

Convertible backs are also something to consider: a closed-back cab that you can turn into a half-open.

• Members

Point him to avatar, their model seems to be doing well.

Then try to find the holes they're leaving in the market.

Yeah for sure, people keep buying from Grendel even though they're a {censored}ing scam. I'd say there is a market for inexpensive ISO cabs.

I think Avatar is a little on the light side compared to what he wants to do.

I think he's looking into building cabs that are a bit more solid like Mesa or Randall.

• Members
I think Avatar is a little on the light side compared to what he wants to do.

I think he's looking into building cabs that are a bit more solid like Mesa or Randall.

I meant for the cosmetic, option, and business side of things.

He's welcome to check out my Randall 412 or my incoming Randall 212s. :thu:

• Members

Use the dimensions of the 68 Marshall cabs.

13 ply baltic birth.

Airtight.

Proper corner bracing.

real screw nuts to hold speakers to the baffle.

Good cooper wiring inside.

Add cosmetics and should sound great.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is different about the 68 Marshall?

• Members

I meant for the cosmetic, option, and business side of things.

He's welcome to check out my Randall 412 or my incoming Randall 212s.
:thu:

Ok, got ya!

What we were talking about was having like a base cab and then for up charging for different options.

Awesome! I will pass that along!

• Members
Ok, got ya!

What we were talking about was having like a base cab and then for up charging for different options.

Awesome! I will pass that along!

Not a bad idea.
Also something I personally like, so maybe it'd be a good idea for an option is Metal grill.
Speakers aren't cheap and gigging isn't nice to gear, its nice having that double protection of metal grill and grill cloth to protect the speakers.

And if he can come up with an idea of making cabs more ergonomic when carrying or something that'd be great too. Red Star's idea seems pretty good but I've yet to see one in person to really test it out.

HK412_01_375x375.jpg

I think if you put those handles on the bottom corners too it'd make it MUCH easier when 2 people are carrying a 412 up and down stairs so you could stagger its height easier.
Obviously that'd be pricey, but it'd be {censored}ing sweet.

• Members

I think that is the model that is used for the dimensions of most cabinets out there today, not including the oversized ones of course.

Oh ok. I think that was going to be the "base" model and then have an up charge for added height or depth. So you could get a deeper cab without the height or a taller cab without the extra depth.

• Members

Not a bad idea.

Also something I personally like, so maybe it'd be a good idea for an option is Metal grill.

Speakers aren't cheap and gigging isn't nice to gear, its nice having that double protection of metal grill and grill cloth to protect the speakers.

And if he can come up with an idea of making cabs more ergonomic when carrying or something that'd be great too. Red Star's idea seems pretty good but I've yet to see one in person to really test it out.

HK412_01_375x375.jpg

I think if you put those handles on the bottom corners too it'd make it MUCH easier when 2 people are carrying a 412 up and down stairs so you could stagger its height easier.

Obviously that'd be pricey, but it'd be {censored}ing sweet.

Maybe handles on all 4 corners? Interesting idea!

Archived