Any one here use in-ear monitors?

MattACaster

• Members

I use them all the time... here's the deal:

You need either a really good monitor engineer or and aviom system to where you can set your own mix. a bad mix on ears is just absolute hell... and can cause injury too.

You need molds. The buds slip out and just fail overall.

Guitars will be stiffer feeling for the most part and that takes time to get used to.

There's a disconnect from the audience a bit, but if you run audience ambient mics at the side of the stage this helps.

vocals will benefit tremendously from ears though. I personally usually like musicians earplugs and a wedge though. this will also help the vocals.

• Members
I personally usually like musicians earplugs and a wedge though. this will also help the vocals.

Ditto.

Avioms are really nice if you can afford them, but it still does quite feel the same. Floor monitors + ear plugs + volume management (i.e. not turning everything to ten) usually does the trick. :)

• Members

Thanks for the info, guys!

At the places we play, all we really need them for is vocals. And, at least in my case, they don't need to be overly loud. But it seem like it would be a good solution to inconsistent monitors between venues.

You won't be able to just run vocals into them. You won't be able to hear anything else.

• Members

Honestly Matt I looked into this once before.

And it seems like more money and pain than I personally was willing to deal with.

Seems like if the sound man sucks, you're in ear mix is gonna suck just as bad as your wedge mix so either way you're screwed.

• Members

You won't be able to just run vocals into them. You won't be able to hear anything else.

I think he was just saying that the vocalist will be the only one using them. that works well. it will be way better for vocals. good engineer though... you still have to have one.

• Members

Honestly Matt I looked into this once before.

And it seems like more money and pain than I personally was willing to deal with.

Seems like if the sound man sucks, you're in ear mix is gonna suck just as bad as your wedge mix so either way you're screwed.

it will suck worse because you won't be able to hear ANYTHING. it's so frustrating. i had a really good monitor guy and a digital board that saved our presets and it was still hell some nights. different rooms give different sounds and it's hard to get them consistent.

• Members

I think he was just saying that the vocalist will be the only one using them. that works well. it will be way better for vocals. good engineer though... you still have to have one.

No, everyone would have them. But only the vocals would be running through it. Our drummer kind of already does this. He runs the vocals off the board and a click track into it.

Anyone know if anyone makes a pass through system? Like where the vocal mics could run into it and then back out to the board so we can control it ourselves?

Our vocalist has a spot monitor that does this but it isn't really made for the volume that we play at.

• Members

it will suck worse because you won't be able to hear ANYTHING. it's so frustrating. i had a really good monitor guy and a digital board that saved our presets and it was still hell some nights. different rooms give different sounds and it's hard to get them consistent.

Yeah I've never actually used em but I looked into a set awhile back when I was doing a lot of singing and thats where I came to that conclusion.

So if things are bad, its even WORSE with in ears?

Also totally OT but how'd your gig at the double door go the other week?

You do anything else while you were in town?

• Members

No, everyone would have them. But only the vocals would be running through it. Our drummer kind of already does this. He runs the vocals off the board and a click track into it.

Anyone know if anyone makes a pass through system? Like where the vocal mics could run into it and then back out to the board so we can control it ourselves?

Our vocalist has a spot monitor that does this but it isn't really made for the volume that we play at.

Most in-ears are designed to isolate external sound, so if you're only running vocals, the instruments are gonna have hell of a time hearing each other and sync'ing up. You're gonna have to have the board send back some sort of instrument mix so you guys can hear each other.

This is where an Axiom system excels - everyone gets everything, and can customize the mix to their own liking. But again, it's a pricey system, and you'd need to know how to work with it.

• Members

There are a few "pass-through's" I started with a Peavey 6x4, 6 in, 4 monitor mix, with a passive split. It will work, and is pretty cheap. I wanted better mixes, so, I got an Allen&Heath mix-wiz. I got the regular mixer, and not the monitor mixer, because it was considerably cheaper, and I thought I would use the direct out's as a passive split. I Have a Shure PSM-600, and a Sennheiser 300G2 with 2 receivers. I like the sennheiser unit a bit better although the Shure is pretty nice also. The Senn unit was about 1,200.00 with the second receiver, the shure I got used for 500.00 with 1 reciever. I planned on getting another receiver, but our drummer never warmed up to them. After building the rack, I stopped using my big board for FOH, so, I sold the big board and added to the monitor rack. It is really nice for us. We get a quick, consistent monitor mix everywhere. Everybody but the drummer loves them.

This is my FOH/monitor rack.

04-14-08_1728.jpg

FWIW, this is my amp rack, this set-up goes up and down pretty quickly.

04-14-08_1656.jpg

• Members

Yea a much better way would be to have a good mix in a wedge and run a very good set of ear plugs. I have a pair and they are excellent. Everything sounds clear, just not as loud.

link:

I have a similar pair made years ago, and I love, love, love them. Like Flump said, they make everything quieter, but nothing's muffled. They're also more inconspicuous than the over-the-counter ones that stick out of your ear, and they're comfortable enough that I can wear them for hours at a time w/o noticing them there. I don't go to rehearsals or shows w/o them.

If price is an issue, the over-the-counter types will do fine too, and should be a bare minimum for anyone who regularly plays at show volumes. $20 is a small price to pay to preserve your hearing for the long term.

• Members
I use them all the time... here's the deal:

You need either a really good monitor engineer or and aviom system to where you can set your own mix. a bad mix on ears is just absolute hell... and can cause injury too.

You need molds. The buds slip out and just fail overall.

Guitars will be stiffer feeling for the most part and that takes time to get used to.

There's a disconnect from the audience a bit, but if you run audience ambient mics at the side of the stage this helps.

vocals will benefit tremendously from ears though. I personally usually like musicians earplugs and a wedge though. this will also help the vocals.

+1

I've used the Aviom system quite a bit. You can set your own mix. :thu:

• Members

On those nights, I'll either pull one or both of them out. :mad:

• Members

I use them and I really like it. It gets some getting used to because like someone mentioned EVERYTHING sounds and feels stiffer. What we do so we avoid using the sound man is rack mount a small mixer and the transmitter for the in ears and run the guitar amps (both amps have direct outs), vocals, and bass through the mixer and feed that to the wireless transmitter. With it being rack mounted it is quick and easy to setup and no need to mess with the pa. Only problem is you wont have the drums being feed through the head sets but even with some decent ear buds you can still hear the drums just fine (or atleast we can).

Archived