Question about Pots...

fabeon

• Members

if your volume/tone controls are always either full on or full off, it doesn't matter what "quality" of pots you have in it.

also, CTS pots aren't going to make the guitar sound better. they may have a better taper, and last longer with heavy use, but that's about it.

• Members

I've had tons of varieties of pots. Quality is mostly felt when you twist; high quality ones will have a smooth motion and will "feel" good. Crappy ones will feel like your using a fork on a chalkboard.

Otherwise, its pretty much common sense. If it looks like its made well, better construction, heavier, then its a good quality pot.

Tapers always vary from pot to pot, brand to brand etc. You can almost never tell how well the taper adheres to standard log or lin curves.

Oh, and BTW, it does make a difference tonal-wise - to a certain extent. I have never heard the difference myself, but in a guitar its virtually impossible to hear the difference between different pots because the signal is so weak. But in a guitar amp for example, if the power of the signal approaches or exceeds the pot's power rating it can introduce some noise. It wont really affect the sound, but it will add some noise. Most 1/2 watt pots are plenty for that application.

In the end, for a guitar it doesnt matter. It comes down to how much you want to pay for that smooth twisting action. If you are building a tube amp for fun, just use the cheap alpha pots. If your building a tube amp and you want to pimp it up, then by all means get yourself some mil-spec 2watt sealed potentiometers.

-D

• Members

Glad this thread went up. Just noticed the small pots in a guitar I'd never opened up, and wondered if I should upgrade, despite the fact that I'm very happy with their action and the guitar's tone. Thanks to this thread my inclination is to leave them be - if it ain't broke... Which means one fewer items on my absurdly long to-do list. Thank you HCAF!

Archived