writers block

jw3092

• Members

was just wondering how often you guys hit dry spells with your creativity/songwriting and how long does it normally last for you? for about the last month i've been completely tapped for new ideas, riffs, lyrics anything. before that i was writing about 2 song's a month for almost a year. the last time i went through this it lasted for about six months and i lost the desire to play for a good while.

• Members

I've been struggling lately for past 3 months and nearly nothing inspiring has come out.

When I get in a rut like this, I'll either pick up a bass, keyboard, clarinet, whatever I can get my hands on besides a guitar.

• Members

I'm finding it harder; I'm struggling to keep a line up for damn near anything together for a few years.

I have near on five albums sitting on my hard disk that I'm pretty sure are going no further.

Still, gotta keep trying.

i'm the same way i've got notebooks full of lyrics stashed in boxes, old tapes and cd's full of half written material laying around that i'll most likely never do anything with.

i never really get discouraged about if any of it will ever become more, it's alway's been more of just a creative outlet for me.

• Members

Listen to some different kinds of music and think of ways to incorporate elements of that style that you like into your music. It kinda opens your eyes up to a new way of playing and gives you some new areas to explore.

good advice, i was doing something similar with a friend. we've been discussing getting a cover band together for fun and were talking about some of the covers to do and alot of the stuff we were working on helped inspire my stuff and helped me from just doing the same stuff over and over.

• Members

i'm the same way i've got notebooks full of lyrics stashed in boxes, old tapes and cd's full of half written material laying around that i'll most likely never do anything with.

i never really get discouraged about if any of it will ever become more, it's alway's been more of just a creative outlet for me.

I wrote an album of black metal to begin with. The few that have heard it have loved it. Without being able to get a band together for it, it's kinda just stayed there.

I've dumbed down to the point of just straight basic metal. No double kick required, nothing too complex for the rhythm guitars (I do the hard work)... still can't get people good enough to play.

It's {censored}ing insane! It's amazing that I can't find a single other metal player within 50 miles of me that doesn't suck harder than a whore just back from some time off.

• Members

If you listen to specifically one type of rock, metal, or whatever type of music, try changing it up to something almost entirely the opposite for a bit, i.e. if classic rock, maybe try listening to jazz or classical; if death metal, try something slow and nondistorted; if you normally listen to lite rock, try something heavier or with a little more speed, etc...

Or like suggested earlier about picking up or listening to different instruments or maybe an acoustic instead of electric guitar.

• Members

If you listen to specifically one type of rock, metal, or whatever type of music, try changing it up to something almost entirely the opposite for a bit, i.e. if classic rock, maybe try listening to jazz or classical; if death metal, try something slow and nondistorted; if you normally listen to lite rock, try something heavier or with a little more speed, etc...

Or like suggested earlier about picking up or listening to different instruments or maybe an acoustic instead of electric guitar.

fantastic advise. also, take a vacation somewhere or go to your favorite pub and drink some fine beverages

• Members

I wrote an album of black metal to begin with. The few that have heard it have loved it. Without being able to get a band together for it, it's kinda just stayed there.

I've dumbed down to the point of just straight basic metal. No double kick required, nothing too complex for the rhythm guitars (I do the hard work)... still can't get people good enough to play.

It's {censored}ing insane! It's amazing that I can't find a single other metal player within 50 miles of me that doesn't suck harder than a whore just back from some time off.

i know the feeling, i live in a small town in the south and most other players i know are more into southern rock or acoustic dominated folk rock/country. alot of my friends have heard some of my material and tell me i should be doing something with it. i used to get really frustrated trying to find musician's i could really play with, eventually i gave up on that and concentrated more on just writing and making solo projects. i also worked with a guy who does r&b/rap stuff and i would play guitar and bass for some of his stuff untill he moved.

i've got two different projects now, one is a melodic death style and the other is hard put a genre to.

• Members

i know the feeling, i live in a small town in the south and most other players i know are more into southern rock or acoustic dominated folk rock/country. alot of my friends have heard some of my material and tell me i should be doing something with it. i used to get really frustrated trying to find musician's i could really play with, eventually i gave up on that and concentrated more on just writing and making solo projects. i also worked with a guy who does r&b/rap stuff and i would play guitar and bass for some of his stuff untill he moved.

i've got two different projects now, one is a melodic death style and the other is hard put a genre to.

The odd thing is, there are people around who really want to see that. One of the biggest things I hear are people moaning about the lack of good metal bands locally. Yet, try and find a metal player instead of some fart with an acoustic "singing" about {censored}ing feelings!

I just don't think that there are players good enough to play metal anymore! They stop with the three chords and that will do!

I did try a "free" online self release a long time ago. Until I found two other (completely seperate) people on the internet shortly afterwards claiming it as their material for, I dunno, kudos points or what not. Totally the gayest {censored} ever.

• Members

that's really good advice. at the moment i play guitar and bass a bit of keyboard. i'm about to buy a midi board to start adding things like strings and brass to some of my stuff to give it a more symphonic vibe.

• Members

The odd thing is, there are people around who really want to see that. One of the biggest things I hear are people moaning about the lack of good metal bands locally. Yet, try and find a metal player instead of some fart with an acoustic "singing" about {censored}ing feelings!

I just don't think that there are players good enough to play metal anymore! They stop with the three chords and that will do!

I did try a "free" online self release a long time ago. Until I found two other (completely seperate) people on the internet shortly afterwards claiming it as their material for, I dunno, kudos points or what not. Totally the gayest {censored} ever.

i thought about starting a few myspace pages for the different projects i got and see how they were received. also i thought it could help find more like minded musician's to play with in the area.

that sucks about your self release, i never really saw the point in taking credit for others work like that.

• Members

I just don't think that there are players good enough to play metal anymore!
They stop with the three chords and that will do!

Satannica, youre one of my favorite posters on here. Youre cool, level headed, get along with most everybody, and dont spew stupid bull{censored} for the sake of taking up bandwidth.

But I gotta disagree with you here, big time

• Members

Satannica, youre one of my favorite posters on here. Youre cool, level headed, get along with most everybody, and dont spew stupid bull{censored} for the sake of taking up bandwidth.

But I gotta disagree with you here, big time

WOOHOO! I are teh awesomes lol!

I've been through a lot of players. And still at a standstill. THinking I'm needing a move. I've put three years into where I am and I just can't find the personnel... And not for want of looking. But anyways, this is prolly a threadjack.

@jw

Totally! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It was actually a buddy of mine who put me onto it saying how good this band was... and it was literally downloaded from my soundclick and put straight up onto this guy's myspace. He musta figured as he was in Europe and I was in the UK that I would never know. Which is largely why I haven't put anything major out there other than just playing demos. People are that skanky!

Archived