Mavin guy, Snax-FX, no more Diezel

tkachuk07

• Members

Both Mavin & the lead guitarist are using Axe FX Ultra's into two Atomic Reactors. They are going direct to the PA, no mics. The Bass player also had a Line 6 Bass head, going direct to PA, didn't even see a cab on stage for him.

Stage volume was very low. The mix sounded pretty crappy right up by the stage, could barely even hear the lead guitar even though I was directly in line of his atomic reactors. Went to the back near the end of the show & the mix sounded good back there.

1.jpg

• Members

That's the problem I have described with modelers. Mix is tight, near the stage is a problem, dancers say turn it up, and I get blown away by the other guitarists Einstein or JVM. Still workin on it tho. Til then, my JCM is my bread and butter.

I don't know if the poor near stage mix had anything to do with modelers. They just made a conscious effort to keep stage volume very low & let the FOH PA do all the work. If you are right by the stage though, the PA doesn't really do a good job. They didn't even have any floor monitors up front on stage, maybe the drummer had one, keyboards, I didn't look..

I brought ear protection as I always do. I had it in for the opening bands. I took it out for Mavin & had no ringing ears even though I was 10-15 feet away from the lead guitars Atomic reactors

• Members

I don't know if the poor near stage mix had anything to do with modelers. They just made a conscious effort to keep stage volume very low & let the FOH PA do all the work. If you are right by the stage though, the PA doesn't really do a good job. They didn't even have any floor monitors up front on stage, maybe the drummer had one, keyboards, I didn't look..

I brought ear protection as I always do. I had it in for the opening bands. I took it out for Mavin & had no ringing ears even though I was 10-15 feet away from the lead guitars Atomic reactors

I just consistently hear from other players that see my band, sound guys and even the audiences that say they can't hear me against the other guy. His 412's project like a MOFO and my rig didnt. For our styles, going back to my tube rig just worked better. Mixes are fine, but there is just something I think with the axe a lot of us have to get more used to. I still use it with the other rig for cool ambient openings and all, but it's not my main guitar sound like the JCM is. I just AB the rigs.

• Members

Gavin still uses a diezel as far as i know unless last night was the first show with an axe-fx. he just keeps them off stage. guitar player has been using the axe-fx for sometime now

I guess that's possible. This place doesn't really have an off-stage. The bands walk in from a door that leads to a parking lot right to the stage. Gavin's Guitars were tucked back to one side of the drummer. I guess he could have squeezed a cab & head back there.

I'm pretty sure he was using Axe FX though. There were Axe FX Ultra's on both sides of the stage. The lead guitar had two in rack on his side & there was at least one in a rack on the other side of the stage with two more AR cabs. I assumed Gavin was using the Axe-Fx on the bass player side of the stage. The bass player had two Line 6 bass heads in racks & a Line 6 floorboard.

• Members

That's the problem I have described with modelers. Mix is tight, near the stage is a problem, dancers say turn it up, and I get blown away by the other guitarists Einstein or JVM. Still workin on it tho. Til then, my JCM is my bread and butter.

I have no problem pasting the dancers to the back wall and I cut through the mix with no issues :)

Mark

• Members

I have no problem pasting the dancers to the back wall and I cut through the mix with no issues
:)

Mark

Still workin on it here!

For me, the harder part is getting the band members to adapt. I've made a lot of steps and they like rehearsals. It's just at gigs, something isn't jiving with it (them), and they ask me to just use what always worked. Rather than get into a pissing match, I just say will do.

I use the AFX on a lot of intro's and other parts. They like it too. But I A/B with the amp rig for the rest of the songs. So far, that seems to be the best combination against the other guitarists mondo tube rigs (diezel and jvm).

Archived