Fire and Whiskey's 1st line?!?!?

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Remember, this is a hard rock tune I'm writing for an old rock and roll buddy. Picture Paul Rodgers and Lou Gramm mixed with over the top 80's hair band histrionics.

OK... so I have a nice solid basic track of drums, bass, and two guitars. Very TedNugeThinLizzyTieYourMotherDown-esque. I've sung a rough for him to learn the gist of the tune and then he'll go off vocally from there with me producing. And he'll add additional guitars.

And I quite like the lyric, amazingly enough. Except that first line. It's content is there, but the wording is not cool enough sounding. It might be the rhythm of it... or the mention of the word "kids". I really don't know. But the idea of it does setup the whole lyric. Don't live in the past, and don't repeat the past's mistakes

Fire and Whiskey

V1

Talkin' 'bout all the crap we pulled as kids

It's lucky we're alive

But you can't change history and even if you did

We woulda missed the ride

C1

Fire and whiskey

Smokin' with a friend

Memory

• Members

Talkin' 'bout the crap we pulled as kids.

To me, that's the most direct and economical set of syllables.

I don't know if it fits the rhythm of the tune. Verse one, as written starts with a 10-syllable line. Verse two starts with a 14-syllable line. So it seems like you haven't really honed in on the underlying structure yet.

Also, your first line echoes Paul Simon's "When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school..."

Is that a + or -? A lift or an homage?

LCK

• Members

I don't know if it fits the rhythm of the tune. Verse one, as written starts with a 10-syllable line. Verse two starts with a 14-syllable line. So it seems like you haven't really honed in on the underlying structure yet.

Also, your first line echoes Paul Simon's "When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school..."

LCK

I love Kodachrome! :love:

That's a great line (the repetition of the hard "c" really makes it), but I think it has more syllables than Lee has in his music, and if you can't get both "c" sounds the line doesn't work.

• Moderators

LCK

I'm definitely aware of the similarity. since it first popped into my head. I thought it different enough and yet similar enough that the word "homage" would fit for a description. :)

As I touched upon, I'm going the accent/stress route and not necessarily an exact syllable count. What I tried to do, as illustration, was fill in the missing syllables with either likely candidate lyrics or a place holder with the (a). They both then work out as 15 syllables. Straight 8ths right on through.

We were runnin' like a motor racin' right between the lines

(We were) talkin' 'bout (a) all the crap (that) we pulled as (a) kids

And maybe that reading directly above ^ is what it should be. As you say, Lee, it is the most direct. It did feel sort of wimpy but maybe with the additions in ( )'s, that might be the ticket... no wait... ok:

We were talkin' 'bouta all the crap we pulled as little kids

Or let a breath/beat occur after 'bout. Here with the accents italicized, each landing on a down beat. Tapping your foot, each of the following italics lands on a downbeat.

We were 1 talkin' 'bout... 2 all the crap we 3 pulled as little 4 kids

That might do it.

• Members

I'm going the accent/stress route and not necessarily an exact syllable count. What I tried to do, as illustration, was fill in the missing syllables with either likely candidate lyrics or a place holder with the (a). They both then work out as 15 syllables. Straight 8ths right on through.

(We were) talkin' 'bout (a) all the crap (that) we pulled as (a) kids

And maybe that reading directly above ^ is what it should be. As you say, Lee, it is the most direct. It did feel sort of wimpy but maybe with the additions in ( )'s, that might be the ticket... no wait... ok:

We were talkin' 'bouta all the crap we pulled as little kids

Or let a breath/beat occur after 'bout. Here with the accents
italicized
, each landing on a down beat. Tapping your foot, each of the following
italics
lands on a downbeat.

We were
1 talkin'
'bout...
2 all
the crap we
3 pulled
as little
4 kids

You lost me at "accent/stress route," primarily because there's no audio file to fill in the blanks.

Also, I don't think the song is about what you guys did as "little kids," but probably as teenagers.

LCK

• Members

You lost me at "accent/stress route," primarily because there's no audio file to fill in the blanks.

Also, I don't think the song is about what you guys did as "little kids," but probably as teenagers.

LCK

This.

In addition to the Paul Simon song now that LCK mentioned it, I also get kind of a Glory Days vibe. I don't really see either as a -

what about this?

Talkin' on the {censored} we pulled when we thought we'd live forever

or

Talkin' on the {censored} we pulled, we thought we'd live forever

• Moderators

The word '{censored}' came to mind immediately but... I'd like to make this TV sync friendly.

I love the live forever idea but the word has only clunky rhymes. And I love "even if you did/could". How about:

Talkin' 'bout the crap you pulled you'll never make it good

It's lucky you're alive

But you can't change history and even if you could

You woulda missed the ride

• Members

V2

This line jumped out at me as being a bit 'proper' to come out of this character's mouth :

Tryin' to kill the light of day

Watch it, what you think about, what occupies your mind............. how about : Watch it, what you think about, what hangs out in your mind

The past is just a thought away

• Moderators

V2

This line jumped out at me as being a bit 'proper' to come out of this character's mouth :

Tryin' to kill the light of day

Watch it, what you think about,
what occupies your mind
............. how about :
Watch it, what you think about, what hangs out in your mind

The past is just a thought away

Yeah... I see that.

Watch it, what you think about, what tangles up your mind

or

Watch it, what you think about, what's trippin' up your mind

I think that might be easier to sing and grab hold of in this style. Thanks, good catch.

• Members

Yeah... I see that.

Watch it, what you think about, what
tangles up
your mind

or

's trippin' up
your mind

I think that might be easier to sing and grab hold of in this style. Thanks, good catch.

Yep - these are good. I prefer tangles up my mind but it is a Dylan line - but does it matter?

• Moderators

Trippin' vs. Tangled. I do like tangled better but it doesn't sing as well in this machine gun delivery.

I think I like this so far...

Talkin' 'bout the mess you made you never made it good

It's lucky you're alive

But you can't change history and even if you could

You woulda missed the ride

C1

Fire and whiskey

Smokin' with a friend

Memory

• Members

Yeah... I see that.

tangles up
your mind

or

's trippin' up
your mind

Funny. I really like occupies.

It depends on the tune, I guess.

LCK

• Members

Also, I don't like your replacements for "crap we pulled when we were kids..."

"You'll never make it good?" What does that mean?

I say stick with your homage, just disguise it a little better.

LCK

Agreed. I say stick with your homage, just make it more explicit. The song is about a smart guy helping out his rocker friend. The tension between those two points of view is there in both the conception and the execution of the song - why not acknowledge that conflict right off the bat and make it work for you instead of against you.

• Members

How about going for perfect rhymes, a la Sondheim's dictum below?

Talkin' 'bout the crap we pulled, before we hit the skids,

man, how'd we make it out alive?

But then the past was such a blast, back when we were only kids,

too drunk to care, too young to drive.

LCK

• Moderators

How about going for perfect rhymes, a la Sondheim's dictum below?

Talkin' 'bout the crap we pulled, before we hit the skids,

man, how'd we make it out alive?

But then the past was such a blast, back when we were only kids,

too drunk to care, too young to drive.

LCK

Maybe a little too Sondheim for the application? :)

• Members

Hmm I have about 6 songs I wrote 20 years ago that are in this vein, let me get out my old lyric book and see if I got something that fits the bill.

I think what is bugging you about the first line is just the suddeness of it kinda like you just ran into an old friend and he blurts out "I'm wearing new socks!" At least that is what is bugging me. Usually you would have a set up "I was talking to a friend the other day" or some sort of "Remember when we were kids/young ect" Without that setup it just jumps right out and seems out of place. But after then song gets going the setup is there and the rest of it flows out really nice. Something I wrote years ago:

I remember back just out of High School

We broke some hearts, I broke mine to

Ain't it funny how some hearts never heal?

Guess it just isn't part of the deal.

To me this sets up the rest of the song. Maybe you need to add another verse that sets up the original one.

• Members

Maybe a little
too
Sondheim for the application?
:)

Really? I thought that last line was pretty good.

Too drunk to care, too young to drive.

I think that's a pretty good line.

Not dumb enough for the genre?

LCK

Archived