Fender Champ 12 .. or not?

lolalola

• Members

Ok,

I need an amp for smallish gigs - bar, small club type venues. I play guitar with a ton of effect pedals for a distorted, fuzzy, reverby sound (think Raveonettes, Glasvegas.....)

I need a TUBE (tube only!) amp I can lug around with me. A friend of mine has a Fender HotRod Deville 410, but that seems like a pain in the *ss to carry around, with the rest of my set up being as it is. So.....

Would either a Fender Champ 12, or a Fender blues junior do the job for me? Or are there any other Fender tube amps I should be on the lookout for (secondhand only please guys, and under $500/

• Members

I've had both a Champ 12 and a Blues Jr. The Champ 12 always sounded small to me, and I just hated the Blues Jr. The Blues Jr. has lots of admirers, but I'm not one of them. I'd look elsewhere.

I much prefer a Peavey Classic 30 to either of those. If you can afford it, a used Fender Deluxe Reverb would be the best. Used Reissues pop up for around $600.

• Members
I've had both a Champ 12 and a Blues Jr. The Champ 12 always sounded small to me, and I just hated the Blues Jr. The Blues Jr. has lots of admirers, but I'm not one of them. I'd look elsewhere.

I much prefer a Peavey Classic 30 to either of those. If you can afford it, a used Fender Deluxe Reverb would be the best. Used Reissues pop up for around $600.

totally agree on all counts. The Champ 12 sounds pretty decent if you do the Torres mods to it. Helps a lot.

• Members
Well if we're allowed to do MODS...I would say to get a Blues Junior and do the Billm mods to it. That will kick ass over any amp 15 watts or under.

I don't know. It certainly helps. But there are certainly a lot of 15-20 watt amps I prefer. Matter of taste, I guess.

• Members

Here's my take:

First of all, I wouldn't get the 12. Get anything but that.

Assuming you're going for the smaller crowd (as evident by teh fact that you're even considering a 1x12 map), and also based on the fact that you have the world's largest pedalbroad, you just need a nice clean map to maplify your tonz, then this:

The Fender Blues Junior is an awesome choice. 1) because it's a good clean foundation for your pedalbroad, 2) because it has a footswitchable boost function that help you skyrocket your solos into God's land, 3) it's an inexpensive 1x12 that you won't be afraid to lug around town, leave at your girlfriend's apartment, let a buddy borrow, or break your butt carrying.

But wait, there's more:

4) it is also LOUD, all-tube, sounds great stock, is completely upgradable if you so desire, comes in many styles and colors, and finally...

5) it has a speaker out jack so you can plug it into a larger speaker cab for larger gigs where the 1x12 vibe might sound smallish.

On all accounts, there is WIN.

• Members

Oh - I almost forgot, here's my take on the Super Champ XD:

No offense to anyone, but I hated that thing. Yeah it's cheap, portable, cute and seems to have it all. But really it's just a Fender modeling preamp into a couple 6V6's or something. It has some good tonz, but after a while you realize it sounds like a mediocre modeler going into a couple tubes. The 12AX7 is basically useless. I dumped mine in 3 weeks for lack of inspiration.

• Members
Oh - I almost forgot, here's my take on the Super Champ XD:

No offense to anyone, but I hated that thing. Yeah it's cheap, portable, cute and seems to have it all. But really it's just a Fender modeling preamp into a couple 6V6's or something. It has some good tonz, but after a while you realize it sounds like a mediocre modeler going into a couple tubes. The 12AX7 is basically useless. I dumped mine in 3 weeks for lack of inspiration.

But if a tube preamp sounds far worse than a modeling amp, the modeler doesn't look so bad in comparison.

• Members

Hmm, ok - so I'm probably now going to choose between a Peavey Classic 30 or a Fender Blues Jr, just to narrow things down.

It's votes time people! :) Either the Peavey or the Fender, I'd really appreciate your thoughts 100% one way or the other. Oh, I play a Fender 90s Jaguar btw. Lola x

• Members

Hmm, ok - so I'm probably now going to choose between a Peavey Classic 30 or a Fender Blues Jr, just to narrow things down.

It's votes time people!
:)
Either the Peavey or the Fender, I'd really appreciate your thoughts 100% one way or the other. Oh, I play a Fender 90s Jaguar btw. Lola x

Why just those two? It would be a no-brainer for me since I must have usable overdrive from the amp for my basic core tone. But you haven't mentioned much about what you need out of the amp. They're both very popular amps. You should have no problem playing thru both of them to decide for yourself.

• Members

Here's my take:

First of all, I wouldn't get the 12. Get anything but that.

I totally agree with this!!!

Champ 12 is not a champ imo...it sounds sterile, runs very hot and the 12" speaker in the small cab sounds very boxy and dead. I owned one and did every mod on the net to try to make it sound warmer but I could never get it anywhere near the sound of a real champ. It is fairly loud but the loud is like solid state loud with no decent breakup or organic feel to it. I could see a Champ 12 for a limited volume jazz gig but for everything else there are many better options available.

EDIT: if you go for a Peavey Classic 30 or a Blues Junior, make damn sure that there are no cabinet rattles because both can get kinda weird as they age...crank that bastard up and really listen for strange rattles from the components on the board or the cab itself. I have passed up many a good deal on each as a result of these phantom sounds.

Archived