What is the best attenuator for the least amount of money?

soilent

• Members

I just got a Krank Rev Jr Pro 50w. It's quite loud and I'd let to get an attenuator for it, but I reaaalllly don't feel like spending 300+. A few people have recommended Weber Mass, but I don't know much about it. Give me some options here. I'd prefer it to be under $300 and if possible around $100-150.

• Members

If you're looking to turn your amp into something "bedroom friendly" and still get "cranked amp tone", you're going to be disappointed no matter how much you spend.

If you fee like you're too loud for playing with a full band and need just a little bit of attenuation to get your amp to where it really shines, the THD Hot Plate or Weber Mass are both great options.

• Members

If you're looking to turn your amp into something "bedroom friendly" and still get "cranked amp tone", you're going to be disappointed no matter how much you spend.

If you fee like you're too loud for playing with a full band and need just a little bit of attenuation to get your amp to where it really shines, the THD Hot Plate or Weber Mass are both great options.

i agree with this. once you start heavily attenuating it does affect the tone negatively. but for bringing down volume for gigs controlling stage volume with getting more power amp tube breakup they sure work great (in my opinion).

• Members

I would just like to turn the volume up to about 9 o'clock (or one quarter of the way up) and get a slightly louder than bedroom volume. I put my 1x12 cab in my closet for recording so it's ok if it's just a little bit loud, but certainly not practice or gig volume.

• Members

Go to the hardware store and get an 8 ohm hot water heater element.

if you have a 4 ohm jack put the 8 ohm element in parallel with the cab (assuming the cab is 8 ohm as well)

if no 4 ohm jack then use the 16 ohm jack and put the 8 ohm element in series with the cab (again assuming the cab is 8 ohm)

Element= $8

Painted Enclosure= $12

JACKS= $4

DIY= Priceless

• Members

I designed/built my own attenuator based on the very useful info found at Randall Aiken's website. It's rated for max 50 watts, doesn't kill the tone the way many commercial ones do and the total parts cost was roughly 250 SEK. 25

Archived