What to do if your amp doesn't sound like it used to?

Mikemtm

• Members

If your amp is losing the sound it had when you first bought it, try replacing your preamp tubes. Those 12AX7's go bad a lot faster than you think. Power tubes (6l6's, EL34, etc.) last a lot longer than those little preamp tubes. When I pick up a used amp, I almost always find that half or more than half of the preamp tubes are toasted or close to it, but the power tubes are still going strong. Also, be careful when buying used preamp tubes. Tested good, doesn't mean they are going to last long. Tested good can mean a lot things. It often means that the tubes are just barely good. Buy new tubes or NOS tubes from a reputable source. Trading someone for their lightly used Mullard EL34s is a lot less risky than trading for their lightly used Mullard 12AX7s.

For those who use 5 different preamp tubes in their amps, what combination do you use? I tend to use all the same brand, but have always been interested in hearing what different combinations others use.

• Members

I dissagree, preamp tubes last forever, power amp tubes don't. Still got the original pres' in all of my amps, tried swapping them but they're fine. Output tubes vary IMO, sometimes last 12 months, sometime years. Depends on usage obviously.

I wouldn't say they last forever, but they do last longer than power tubes. They aren't subjected to the heat that power tubes are, but they still go bad occasionally.

Archived