Carvin FET450

guitarbilly74

• Members

Take it apart and clean them anyway. Scratchy pots can also create open spots on the control, or have the sound cut in and out. In some cases, really scratchy pots can lead to signal changes bad enough to blow the outputs or one of your speakers.

They're like old TV tuners left on one channel for a cable box. After a while, one setting works, but the rest of the pot is so contaminated, the other positions don't work. Try just turning the pots back and forth with the power off. Sometimes that cleans them up just doing that.

yeah they're not scratchy on mine, but it's normal procedure for me to clean all pots and jacks every time I get a new amp, so I'm doing it now :thu:

• Members

i'm in a quandary...

i want to use my 6 space rack case, but i've already got 5 spaces worth of stuff for it and no power amp. i can't build a 1U power amp that i'd want to use, and i don't want to have to pull anything out of the rack.

dammit
:mad:

how much power do you need? the 150w version is 1u

• Members

i'm in a quandary...

i want to use my 6 space rack case, but i've already got 5 spaces worth of stuff for it and no power amp. i can't build a 1U power amp that i'd want to use, and i don't want to have to pull anything out of the rack.

dammit
:mad:

Yup... Just thinking about what I'd like to have in a rack:

Preamp = 2U

Gmajor = 1U

Power Amp = 3U

That's 6 and I'd still like to have a power conditioner and rack tuner as a final touch. Some might even want wireless and who knows what else. Hell, leaving some open space above the power amp to vent the heat isn't a bad idea either IMHO. 6U looks like bare minimum.:cry:

• Members

here's mine:

pre-2U

tuner-1U

voltage regulator-1U

wireless-1U

power amp-1U? it's SS, so hopefully heat won't be as much of a problem.

then again, i could bust out my 10 space rack, build a 2 or 4 space power amp, and still have room to spare.

decisions, decisions...

• Members

here's mine:

pre-2U

tuner-1U

voltage regulator-1U

wireless-1U

power amp-1U? it's SS, so hopefully heat won't be as much of a problem.

then again, i could bust out my 10 space rack, build a 2 or 4 space power amp, and still have room to spare.

decisions, decisions...

I decided to leave my tuner on the pedalboard. Even if I was going to use a wireless (which I won't) I would still have to run a cable to the front anyway for the wha, so I might as well plug the tuner right before it and save 1u.

Archived