What's the difference btw 2 and 3 channel Rectos?

Obelisk

• Members

Hi guys, I've always wanted a recto but never could get over the outrageous price (I was into buying {censored} new) and the constant controversy of whether they are good amps or not. My question is, do the 2-channel rectos have higher quality parts as well as the superior tone that the rectos are known for or is it all hype?

Also, on a side note can someone also explain the same btw the block letter and signature 5150 heads? I played 6505+ and it was fuzz city, I used to have the signature combo and it is alright and the block letter head I played was pretty sweet but playing in GC with your volume on 2 means nothing.

• Members

I can't help you out with the 5150 question and I hate Rectos LoL, but I'll give you my 2 cents...

The 2 or 3 channel DUAL Rectos seem to be greatly preferred over any of the other Rectifiers (exlcuding the "verb" series) with a single rec your looking at 50 watts, dual 100, and Triple 150... the only rectos that are known for their "different" parts are going to be your much earlier revisions which go for high dollar amounts and are definitely considered to be the best of the bunch (90's era I believe) I've heard many people say that single Rectifier doesn't have enough punch, and the triple IMHO is just too much damned power, I would definitely go with a dual, your not going to notice much difference as far as a 2 or 3 channel is concerned...

Awww WTF am I talking about, buy a 5150, you'll be much happier...

• Members

There is ABSOLUTELY no difference when it comes to 5150s. Block letter and signature...same {censored}ing amp. No difference whatsoever. The signatures came stock with like JJ tubes or something though.

Combos on the other hand...completely different story. They came biased WAY hotter from the factory, making it way less fizzy and harsh, and really warming it up.

Can't say what it is TECHNICALLY that's different about 2/3 channel Rectos, but they 2 channel models are typically considered less fizzy and scooped, and tighter. If you listen to the first two songs on the band1 link in my signature, the left side tracks are 2 channel Dual recto.

• Members

Also, on a side note can someone also explain the same btw the block letter and signature 5150 heads? I played 6505+ and it was fuzz city, I used to have the signature combo and it is alright and the block letter head I played was pretty sweet but playing in GC with your volume on 2 means nothing.

I'm not an expert, but AFAIK there is no difference between the block-letter, signature or 6505. The 5150ii/6505+ do not have exactly the same high gain though the + can be modded back to non-+ specs.

The combos are not biased as cold as the heads, and that is why they sound different stock - though a bias mod on the heads solves that issue.

• Members

My friend's 5150 combo is in my house and I rarely play it because of its stiffness and sterile sound (could be the speakers). I'm about to check out the block letter head again at a local guitar store but the more I read reviews, the more I hear about there being no difference except for better tubes which is totally feasible.

Back to the rectos, I know the general specs but I just want to get the most reliable and high quality one I can. I love the Soundgarden stuff and they use the old 2 channel rectos. Do the old ones have a lot of options like the new ones with the bold/spongy switch and the tube/ss rectifier and all those other bells and whistles? As far as wattage, I figured the 50 watt would be real punchy and raw, the 100 watt would be fuller and smoother sounding and the 150 would be the tightest and biggest sounding. Look at my sig, I don't need anymore amps but I love collecting and trying out new gear.

• Members

I've played both, and if my memory serves me correctly, the original Recto had a fuller midrange, and was less fizzy.

This.

I owned a 3 channel Triple for a few months, sold it, bought a 2 channel Dual, did a few mods to it, and haven't looked back.

I also have a 5150. I don't like it much on it's own, but paired with my Dual, they sound amazing together.

• Members

I used to own a 1994 Dual Rec, and before I bought it, A/B'ed the two channel versions v/s the 3 ch. ones. I found the two channel version to be a little warmer, with less fizz on the high end, and much more receptive to the type of guitar that I plugged into it. It had an inferior clean channel that the newer 3 ch. version, but I compensated for that with chorus and better pickups. the two channel just sounded more like a pure tube amp to me, while the 3 channels had a fizz that sort of reminded me of modelers. just my two cents.

• Members

The main difference between the 2 channel and 3 channel Dual and Triple Rectifiers is the circuit boards. The Original 2 channel Rectos went through several circuit board revisions starting with the coveted "Pre-500" rectifiers and going through the grunge influenced late 90s revisions. These revisions are indicated by a code written on the main circuit board inside the head by the code "RF1-C"(these were the first runs and go up to around serial #630s) and they go through "RF1-G" which was done sometime around 99-00 i believe. The 3 channel heads were introduced in the early 2000s with a different circuit board, and an added channel (obviously). These heads have a different tone, that some say is less "smooth" as the 2 channels. Because of the sound difference, 2 channel heads are sometimes sought after more, because people cannot dial in a 3 channel head the same way as a 2 channel. This makes their prices stay relatively high due to their demand, even though they can be up to 17 years old. The 3 channel head does have some advantages in it's favor though, the first being a usable clean channel, that sounds pretty decent. The 2 channel heads have an atrocious clean channel that is all but unusable. Also, the 3 channel head adds more flexibility with the addition of the "Raw" mode on the 2 overdrive channels, and a "pushed" mode on the clean channel for more bluesy, lightly overdriven sounds. It also allows you to set up a true independent rhythm and lead distortion channel, while also having a true clean channel. I have experience with both the 2 and 3 channel heads, as well as the 4 channel Roadster and Road King heads. I own a Triple rec, but, if I were buying a new Mesa head now, i would more than likely purchase the Roadster. It sounds more aggressive than the 3 channel dual rec, and it's cleans are directly taken from the Lone Star head, which has an AMAZING clean channel. Anyways, there's a little Mesa History.

As for the Peavey, I read an article online from an interview with a Peavey Representative that said there were no differences between the block letter and the siggy 5150 heads. The reason they changed it was because of a copyright infringement lawsuit from another company. The reason some say that the block letters sounded different, and an assumption that something was changed circuitrywise was due to Peavey changing the power tube brand around the same time as the signature change. The power tubes used in the first year of production became unavailable right around the exact same time as the block letter to signature change, and it resulted in a different sounding head. That was the only change, and it was forced due to the limitations of tube production at the time.

hope this helps

-AJH

• Members

Dammit, now I'm torn. I would like a 2 channel recto for the badass gained out tone but it would be cool to have an amp with a lot of options seeing that the only versatile amp I have is my 8100 but I only have 2 channels on that. I loved the setup of the Framus Dragon but I've got my German sound.

Let me throw this out there, if I were to get a 3 channel rec and get a bias mod put on it, would it tame that "harsh" sound the new Mesa's are known for?

• Members

Dammit, now I'm torn. I would like a 2 channel recto for the badass gained out tone but it would be cool to have an amp with a lot of options seeing that the only versatile amp I have is my 8100 but I only have 2 channels on that. I loved the setup of the Framus Dragon but I've got my German sound.

Let me throw this out there, if I were to get a 3 channel rec and get a bias mod put on it, would it tame that "harsh" sound the new Mesa's are known for?

Or you could get an external effects processor, like a Digitech GSP2101, run it in the 4 cable method, and have a plethora of choices.

• Members

A lot of people hate that top end fizz. I just use an eq and it takes it out.

I actually prefer the 3 channel rectifier's sound believe it or not.

I use the orange mode on vintage and I can get it very tight and heavy for some nice djent technical tones. One of my favorite settings that is usually overlooked.

I use the red for that full out wall of sound which IMO I like better on the 3 channel. It just has this more grinding bloom to it that I like. It feels more aggressive and dark.

• Members

To me, the new recs sound a bit more throaty, bigger and aggressive. Some call them stiff, I call them immediate. Some call the old recs creamy, I say smeared. It's a matter of preference. The newer recs have channel switching gaps. I do have days when I'm wanting an old recto.

• Members

I use the orange mode on vintage and I can get it very tight and heavy for some nice djent technical tones. One of my favorite settings that is usually overlooked.

I switched to vintage mode over 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Takes the so called "fizz" and prescence harshness out of the amp and allows it to get a lot darker.

-AJH

• Members

I used a 2-channel Dually for about a decade. I played it side by side with a 3-channel version when I sold it (ended up buying a Road King for flexibility).

Long and short of it?

The difference between a 2-channel and a 3-channel is minimal.

Get good quality tubes in your pre-amp, crank both up to stage volumes, and you'd have trouble telling which one is which. Good tubes have far more to do with the sound of either version than the minor differences in circuitry.

Just my .02...the difference is largely hype. And I know (and I mean KNOW) how a 2-channel is supposed to sound. It was my gigging amp for 10 years.

Archived