Recto - Can it be made tight and not fizzy?

Cookie Monster

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good luck then... there are few amps that have a tight bottom w/o a lot compression... pretty much all tight modern high gainers will have a somewhat compressed sound... comes with the territory.

Any Fryette = tight with low compression.

• Members

Any Fryette = tight with low compression.

The OP tried the Sig X and didn't like it... I suggested the UL & CLX in one of his previous threads, but I don't think he digs the VHT voicing though.

:poke:

I can't blame him either... VHTs are tight, but they sacrifice tone in other areas. I've owned 2 ULs and sold both. Tight, but not thick/saturated enough for me.

• Members

Mushy bottom fizzy top is the problem we all know they have.

Is there a way to make a Recto really really tight, and loose the fizz?

I know Voodoo can fix this, but can it be done with pedals and settings as well?

Like boosting up front and an EQ in the loop?

I always thought my recto was tight when I had it. My bass player made the comment that it was too compressed! It was tight IMO without anything in the loop, but I couldnt get good note sustain out of it.

• Members

Orange channel, vintage, roll back gain up the mids. I found that to be pretty tight (for a Recto). And you can of course use a boost with it, and an eq to cut the high end fizz.

Also you gotta {censored} with the presence and treble a lot to hit that sweet spot.

Honestly, I can understand cutting back the fizz, but trying to make it tight like some other amps is just crazy to me. It's not meant to be.

I like the sag of the amp and I use the recto tubes most of the time. I like it because I use it for what it was intended for...

• Members

Another vote for a VHT/Fryette. Someone mentioned the Thread Starter tried a Sig X but didn't like it. Just curious if he spent much time with it. It is not only really tight, but also very un-compressed. I have mine set up so that it has a bit of Recto flavor/low mid emphasis also. Sounds kind of like a Recto but with no fizz, alot more clarity and a whole lot tighter.

I like it better than my 5150 and Single Recto, and I like tight, thick, aggressive high gain with clarity.

• Members

Another vote for a VHT/Fryette. Someone mentioned the Thread Starter tried a Sig X but didn't like it. Just curious if he spent much time with it. It is not only really tight, but also very un-compressed. I have mine set up so that it has a bit of Recto flavor/low mid emphasis also. Sounds kind of like a Recto but with no fizz, alot more clarity and a whole lot tighter.

I like it better than my 5150 and Single Recto, and I like tight, thick, aggressive high gain with clarity.

There's something about the mids I just can't stand, and could not really be dialed out, and for me, when using a lot of gain it was mushy. I got to play a Deliverance once, and it didn't have either of these issues. But I'm glad it's working out so well for you.

• Members

There's something about the mids I just can't stand, and could not really be dialed out, and for me, when using a lot of gain it was mushy. I got to play a Deliverance once, and it didn't have either of these issues. But I'm glad it's working out so well for you.

Ya the Fryette's definitely have a unique mid range woody tone going on that I guess some people don't prefer. Too bad you don't like it because they meet your other criteria you mentioned really well!

• Members

two eqs:

One before the amp input, cut everything BELOW 125hz, drop 250Hz by 2dB.
One in the fx loop, cut everything BELOW 125hz, add 2dB of 259Hx back in.

Work from there. The idead is topull out some of the mud from the preamp, then add your lows back in during post-processing (fx loop). Amps trying to fit in band mixes take up too much frequency space if they go below 125Hz.

The same principle applies to the highs (cut the pre/add it back in the post if necessary. Listen to pro recordings like Metallica. The guitar sounds HUGE and mean, but if you listen ncloser you'll realize they don't have a frequency range as wide as NY to CA like Recto's typically have out of the box.

• Members

Like most peeps, I have been struggling with that same problem. Using a Maxon 808 made it tighter. I also use a 7 band Boss EQ pedal. However, I have found the utlimate fix: I ordered a Mesa Boogie Mark V combo yesterday. I'm unloading my Dual Rectifer (2 channel), cab and some pedals I won't need anymore. Problem fixed. This amp is a lot tighter without needing any bells and whistles.

• Members

two eqs:

One before the amp input, cut everything BELOW 125hz, drop 250Hz by 2dB.

One in the fx loop, cut everything BELOW 125hz, add 2dB of 259Hx back in.

You're killing the fundamental of the low E string there (81Hz), even lower for 7-string B tunings (61Hz). I can understand rolling it off, but "killing" it seems a bit drastic.

• Members

seriously od-9 thats it i use a roadster and dual recto together tight as a virgins asshole and no fizz,i {censored} you not ,they should be built with an od 9 installed lol

Aw, you guys are killing me here! Now I'm going to have to get my Single Recto back out (that I thought I had finally decided was the amp to sell!) and try it with my OD-9!

• Members

This is kind of off-topic, but probably a good thread to get a quick answer. On my Single Recto, I have a foot-switchable 'Solo' boost with seperate volume control on the amp. Does engaging that only add volume, or does it add any gain or an extra gain stage? Thanks!

• Members

This is kind of off-topic, but probably a good thread to get a quick answer. On my Single Recto, I have a foot-switchable 'Solo' boost with seperate volume control on the amp. Does engaging that only add volume, or does it add any gain or an extra gain stage? Thanks!

Only volume, no extra preamp gain stages... But if the volume bump is big enough you'll add some power tube distortion at higher volumes.

Archived