Line6 M13 or X3 Live Pod

danxrs05

• Members
In all fairness, I am not an effects loop guy. I don't use mine...EVER. I prefer to go straight into my amp, since all of my favorite did the same..from Hendrix, Gilmor, Page, Van Halen...etc. did the same. Everyone that had tone to me went straight in. The Nova allows you to use it as a straight effects processor or use the dist and od. There is no 4 cable method. That said, the M13 has 4 cable method, but sounds {censored}ty. So there is your trad off. You can have good tone or better flexibility. I prefer tone. Don't forget the Nova system is TC's low cost, basic system. if you need more options..you step up to the g system. That has the flexibility. I don't need that. I have basic needs. I am a pedal guy..not a rack guy and the nova system is perfect for me. I probably have 50 pedals or so that now don't have a use., that said, I can add them in if I ever need them.

See, when I hear "straight in" I think just that....straight in. Guitar to amp. NOTHING between them. AFAIK, all of those dudes you listed used pedals out front.

Just pointing that out :o

• Members

There is $1000 between the Nova and the G-System.

The G-Major 2 is the same cost as a Nova, and Behringer FCB1010 foot controllers will do it all and aren't too expensive. So if you really need a bit more than the Nova, that seems like the logical next place to go.

I realize that, but it (the g system) is way better than the gmajor. My point was that the Nova is their lowest level item...and the g system is the high end...and that they clearly had to leave out some functionality while still packing full of tone and features. considering if you look hard enough, you can find them NEW for $375 from authorized dealers...I think they did a crazy good job. Also, the G Major is larger...requires a footcontroller as you mentioned and costs more. Also, it requires you to carry a rack along with the pedalboard, and perhaps I am wrong, but you still don't have the nova drive and od (the g system at least intergrates with it.)

• Members

See, when I hear "straight in" I think just that....straight in. Guitar to amp. NOTHING between them. AFAIK, all of those dudes you listed used pedals out front.

Just pointing that out
:o

Most of the time I am straight in....as in nothing. Seeing as how the nova is true bypass...you are still straight in with it. Besides, just because your idea of a term is not the same as someone else's is not my problem. My context was quite clear. I was obviously speaking of their pedal usage and their placement of said pedals. Btw, this is one reason why I don't have a use for an effects loop. I don't use a ton of effects. I use some boost or drive, and some delay...pre amp. Sometimes some reverb. My favorite pedal is an old Boss octave and those are hard to model or find in a sim, even the boss pedals vary. I was able to dial in a close approximation in 2 min on the nova and will dial it in when i have time. It's is in there. I have never even heard another boss oc-2 sound as close. It maybe tracks too well to be the boss, but it sounds great.

• Members

I would choose neither. I've owned a handfull of Line 6 products over the years, (not to mention other modeling "stars"), and in the end I just feel they all suck. Yeah the X3L is supposed to be the all-time flagship, etc., and I used one for 6-8 months live. But no matter what I did, I could never get it to sound anywhere close to a real amp, or at least anywhere acceptible. It just always sounded like a modeling thing going through different systems. I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone would hail this piece of plastic {censored} for live, recording or home rehearsals, regardless of the the host system.

The Gary Rossington would never use a modeller.

• Members

So, you guys realize you can turn off the amp and cab sims on the Pod right?

Yeah. But the thing is the M13 is a dedicated Effects device. As a rule dedicated devices are better at what they specifically do than a multi-function device.

Yes I know that sounds odd talking about the M13 but it is more specific in its function than an X3.

• Members

Yeah. But the thing is the M13 is a dedicated Effects device. As a rule dedicated devices are better at what they specifically do than a multi-function device.

Yes I know that sounds odd talking about the M13 but it is more specific in its function than an X3.

What's teh difference if it's all programmed and modeled at a computer?

• Members

What's teh difference if it's all programmed and modeled at a computer?

The amount of processing power that can be applied to the effects. If I have read things correctly the M13 and the X3 have the same processing chips. The M13 will have a lighter processing load than the X3 even with the Amp and Cab sims "bypassed".

• Members

TC Electronics looks interesting with the analogue drive circuit stuff...but you can't FULLY customise it like the M13 and it has so little patches to work with.

From what I gather (ymmv), each button is already pre-customised...so if you don't want a mod or drive or something you are stuck. Can someone comment as to if the Digitech RP series is in the same boat here...?

M13...any stomp can be literally ANY stomp you like...{censored}e, put 12 drives on a scene if you want.

I have scenes where I use a couple of EQs, a couple or three diff reverbs and drives etc as it's how I want to use the thing...not how I'm forced to use it.

And you can use it in latch mode where you grab a scene and you have 4 pedals come on instantly just like going up a bank on a X3 Live.

It does not suck dog balls, quite the opposite actually.

Once you dial stuff in (which takes minutes) the whole fn unit sounds great.

REALLY impressed with the M13...it's BY FAR the best thing Line 6 has done since the very first POD.

IMHO it's the cheapest, most simple to use and configurable/versitile (and great sounding) MFX on the market bar none.

• Members

Most of the time I am straight in....as in nothing. Seeing as how the nova is true bypass...you are still straight in with it. Besides, just because your idea of a term is not the same as someone else's is not my problem.

Not really a problem, no, but it might be a bit confusing if most people tend to consider plugging "straight in" as being guitar

• Members

TC Electronics looks interesting with the analogue drive circuit stuff...but you can't FULLY customise it like the M13 and it has so little patches to work with.

From what I gather (ymmv), each button is already pre-customised...so if you don't want a mod or drive or something you are stuck. Can someone comment as to if the Digitech RP series is in the same boat here...?

M13...any stomp can be literally ANY stomp you like...{censored}e, put 12 drives on a scene if you want.

I have scenes where I use a couple of EQs, a couple or three diff reverbs and drives etc as it's how
I
want to use the thing...not how I'm forced to use it.

And you
can
use it in latch mode where you grab a scene and you have 4 pedals come on instantly just like going up a bank on a X3 Live.

It does not suck dog balls, quite the opposite actually.

Once you dial stuff in (which takes minutes) the whole fn unit sounds great.

REALLY impressed with the M13...it's BY FAR the best thing Line 6 has done since the very first POD.

IMHO it's the cheapest, most simple to use and configurable/versitile (and great sounding) MFX on the market bar none.

The M13 is WAY more versatile than the Nova system in every aspect , and I think it sounds just as good if not better

Archived