Brand New, Glassjaw, Thrice, Manchester Orchestra and Kevin Devine

Slim Jim

• Members

Amazing, amazing concert.

Glassjaw knows how to put on a {censored}in show

Thrice was tight as usual.

Brand New was of course phenomenal.

Kevin Devine converted me to a fan.

Manchester is just so good. Decent live show.

My only problem was that I wad in section 318 in Nassau Coliseum.

This concert should've been viewed on the floor, but I didn't wanna spend $300.

This also prevented me from seeing any of their gear.

:-(

If anyone has a gear report from this tour I would love to hear it.

Everyone's tone was so very good.

• Members

I was there, on the floor.

Brand New sucked for the second time in a row, this band has just totally lost me and I was one of 60 people at their Deja record release party.

That being said, Thrice were incredible, GJ was great, but not as good as at the Donkey a couple of years ago. They played pretty even material between the two albums, you probably thought that 2 of the songs which are new were EYEWTKAS. In fact, if anything it was W&T heavy with Tip Your Bartender, Mu Empire, Ape Dos Mil, The Gillette Cavaclade of Sports, and Pink Roses.

I also was converted to Kevin Devine though I had never heard of him before.

I couldn't catch pedals, but pretty much everyone was using JMP or JCM800s and AC30s. Didn't pay attention to Manchester Orchestra, did not dig them. I think they had a Rocker 30 or AD15 1x12 combo on stage too, and Kevin Devine definitely had a Fender 4x10, probably a super reverb.

I actually did not see Beck's H&K, I've heard he's using a modeler direct in these days. I wouldn't doubt it, his tone was crap relative to in the past.

• Members

Wow. Thanks for the help.

I did notice Dustins tone

was not as cutting and kind of muffled

compared to Teppei, who sounded {censored}ig amazing.

And you're right about glassjaw.

That's my first time ever seeing them.

I felt Manchester couldve used more time as well as Thrice.

Brand New... Alot of it is Jesse, clearly.

I felt he couldve calmed down with the screaming and focused

more on his melodies which were missing.

How'd you like the floor?

And Blackwater, I'm still jealous.

I was there, on the floor.

Brand New sucked for the second time in a row, this band has just totally lost me and I was one of 60 people at their Deja record release party.

That being said, Thrice were incredible, GJ was great, but not as good as at the Donkey a couple of years ago. They played pretty even material between the two albums, you probably thought that 2 of the songs which are new were EYEWTKAS. In fact, if anything it was W&T heavy with Tip Your Bartender, Mu Empire, Ape Dos Mil, The Gillette Cavaclade of Sports, and Pink Roses.

I also was converted to Kevin Devine though I had never heard of him before.

I couldn't catch pedals, but pretty much everyone was using JMP or JCM800s and AC30s. Didn't pay attention to Manchester Orchestra, did not dig them. I think they had a Rocker 30 or AD15 1x12 combo on stage too, and Kevin Devine definitely had a Fender 4x10, probably a super reverb.

I actually did not see Beck's H&K, I've heard he's using a modeler direct in these days. I wouldn't doubt it, his tone was crap relative to in the past.

• Members

Wow. Thanks for the help.

I did notice Dustins tone

was not as cutting and kind of muffled

compared to Teppei, who sounded {censored}ig amazing.

Looked to me like Dustin was using a JCM800 and Dustin was using a JMP (or something with that style Marshall cabinet). I think part of it was Dustin's P90 tele versus the 72 Tele Classic or whatever and semi-hollow Teppei used.

I felt Manchester couldve used more time as well as Thrice.

Definitely. I checked out the set list that Thrice has been playing recently on their blog and we got a really boiled down version of their usual set which is a shame. They were really killer/spot on, made some very good song choices (really coherent set, sorta like a good album), and looking at the extended list makes me realize I would have only liked it more if they played 50-100% more time.

Brand New... Alot of it is Jesse, clearly.

I felt he couldve calmed down with the screaming and focused

more on his melodies which were missing.

Last time I saw them he was even worse. It really pisses me off that he can't get his {censored} together at all live anymore. The screaming is getting ridiculous, isn't done well and isn't done for effect because of how frequent it is. Melodies are pretty far off often, and he clearly gets a lot of producer help. There are some lines that are brilliantly delivered because of the lyric content matching the delivery (staccato of "the only muscle in my body that works harder than my heart") that he just botches. On top of that, they are way, way too loud and have a crap mix relative to other bands on the same bill. They're just overpowering and they turn their mix to mush by being so loud your ears are "clipping" before Jesse starts his scream fest. They have energy, and Vin is still amazing live, but it's really sad to see them for me. I'm from Bellmore, so Glassjaw and Brand New are like my hometown boys. I've been listening to both for 10 years. Jesse has just lost it and their sound guy sucks. They probably should have never added that third guitar player.

How'd you like the floor?

Crowd had a solid mix of fans for pretty much all the bands and I was happy to see a lot of Glassjaw love. I feared that GJ wouldn't have enough draw relative to BN and Thrice in a venue this big. Nothing too crazy happening, and people were retarded over BN even when they were at their worst in the set.

• Members

I saw BN two years ago in NYC.

I forget the venue but it was them and Thrice as well.

DaGRIoM just came out.

Jesse didn't start his screaming yet but he was super depressed that whole time.

He made a speech if I remember correctly how much he misses his friends and of anyone was from Levittown to get in touch with him.

That might be the problem or at least part of it (his depression. Maybe he's trying too hard to be Morrissey)

I think the show wouldve benefitted

if GJ and Thrice switched.

But Dustin wasn't playing his Vetta?

That's odd

• Members

I saw BN two years ago in NYC.

I forget the venue but it was them and Thrice as well.

DaGRIoM just came out.

Jesse didn't start his screaming yet but he was super depressed that whole time.

He made a speech if I remember correctly how much he misses his friends and of anyone was from Levittown to get in touch with him.

That might be the problem or at least part of it (his depression. Maybe he's trying too hard to be Morrissey)

If I were there I'd probably have gone up to him. He may not remember me because I'm a solid 5 years younger but I met him a bunch of time back when I was like... 13 and 14. We know a lot of mutual people. The reason the show last year (almost exactly on year ago) was so bad was pretty much because Jesse didn't give a {censored}. I figured this time they might be better because he'd pull his stuff together for this kind of show, but I think he's just lost it in addition to being less into it. He mustered about as much enthusiasm as I think he could manage last night and it was still meh.

I think the show wouldve benefitted

if GJ and Thrice switched.

But Dustin wasn't playing his Vetta?

That's odd

Probably true. I didn't see the Vetta on stage and did see the 800 they've used, but they've also used that for bass at times. It's possible the Vetta was hidden from my view (I was up front but stage left). Because the new album has such straight-up instrumentation and they didn't play anything too wacky from the Alchemy Index, he may simply have chosen to not haul it because it wasn't needed.

• Members

Nah

Alot off of E.Y.N.t.K.A.S. not enough off of Worship and Tribute.

IMO of course.

I enjoy both for different reasons. They are both great in different ways. They grew up as a band between the records, as all good bands should. I'm stoked for the new stuff.

EYNTKAS is easier on a single guitarist, which may be a reason.

Archived