amp tone and pick attack

symeboy

• Members

I used to own a jcm800 and I really liked the pick attack when playing on it, the very articulate defined notes were great for me because I play alot of fast speed metal...

Anyway I sold it and bought a mesa single rec which is a truly great amp. I now can channel switch and switch effects loops at the same time and it has a solo switch which is essential because I play in a two guitar band. BUT...

I do kinda miss the percussive tight mid range sound of the old jcm, not to mention its ability to cut through live.

My question is: out of the myriad of new metal amps out there, are there any that sound tight and mean like the jcm and have a decent mid range roar but that have all the great features of something like my rectifier?

I hear good things about the engl powerball...

• Members

Mesa Mark series

This...

Only Mesa I liked after being a Marshall man for years

Then I turned back to a Marshall because I like that sound I'm willing to live with the downsides (my current amp has 1 channel and no FX loop, but it's the best damn amp I've ever had!)

• Members

wow! never heard of fryette then found this!

sounds great!! might be a mission to get one over here across the pond

They also used to be called VHT, so you may have better luck finding one of them. You just have to be careful that you don't buy one of the current production VHTs.

Long story short: The current Fryette used to be VHT. They had to change their name to Fryette from VHT due to the fact that they defaulted on a loan. The holder of the loan took the VHT name and is currently producing cheap, low quality amps under the VHT label.

• Members

I just realised that they changed their name!

I didnt know all that much about vht either and have just been drooling over some of the you tube vids and was even going to check ebay for any second hand ones!

Thanks for that info man,

Which model do you think would be best suited to my needs? the ultra lead looks good...

• Members

you are describing the FRAMUS COBRA to the T. Its a Marshall based amp (EL34) with the low end of the Mesa, and a clean channel that measures up to the finest of clean tube amps.

There are many other great amps being mentioned here, but going off of what you are asking for, hands down its gonna be the Cobra. And there are so many low price little mods you can do to dial it in even more to your needs if you even find it necessary.

read some reviews on it in the equipment reviews section of this website!

• Members

you are describing the FRAMUS COBRA to the T. Its a Marshall based amp (EL34) with the low end of the Mesa, and a clean channel that measures up to the finest of clean tube amps.

There are many other great amps being mentioned here, but going off of what you are asking for, hands down its gonna be the Cobra. And there are so many low price little mods you can do to dial it in even more to your needs if you even find it necessary.

read some reviews on it in the equipment reviews section of this website!

I agree... Everyone seems to think the Cobra is like a Recto minus the {censored}ty stuff like the loose bass and fizzy highs.

• Members

Yes I actually use a maxon OD808 which gets me half way there....

The JVM, well one of my favourite guitar sound comes from the Walls Of Jericho album by helloween and the solo tone of the JVM makes me wanna do a sex wee! (pardon my language!) However they arent worth the crazy money and they dont have a master volume so low volumes would be a difficult.

I heard some clips of that VHT on the net, sounds right up my street! I like the idea of having kt88s too instead of el34s, I seem to prefer that less saturated but darker growling tone.

The Framus I know nothing of, although I thought that was more a "drop C nu metal" type bassy amp? I only say this becuase Killswitch Engage used them. Great music but totally not what Im looking for. Correct me if Im wrong...

• Members

Yes I actually use a maxon OD808 which gets me half way there....

The JVM, well one of my favourite guitar sound comes from the Walls Of Jericho album by helloween and the solo tone of the JVM makes me wanna do a sex wee! (pardon my language!) However they arent worth the crazy money and they dont have a master volume so low volumes would be a difficult.

I heard some clips of that VHT on the net, sounds right up my street! I like the idea of having kt88s too instead of el34s, I seem to prefer that less saturated but darker growling tone.

The Framus I know nothing of, although I thought that was more a "drop C nu metal" type bassy amp? I only say this becuase Killswitch Engage used them. Great music but totally not what Im looking for. Correct me if Im wrong...

Wat.

The JVM has a master volume and individual preamp volumes for each channel.

You can get them for around $1,000 used in great condition.

You'd be crazy to pass up on it.

• Members

Sorry! For some reason I thought you were talking about the JMP! not JVM. Are the JVMs really any good? I have been warned off them, but never cranked one myself.

I found a JCM800 2210 on ebay which I know would get me pretty close, it has an effects loop and you can switch channels! I would defo want KT88s in it if I could though.

God I really like the VHT though, however, its quite difficult getting them over here in the U.K.

Never played a boogie mark IV or any H&K, very limited exposure to different amps I guess :-)

• Members
Sorry! For some reason I thought you were talking about the JMP! not JVM. Are the JVMs really any good? I have been warned off them, but never cranked one myself.

I found a JCM800 2210 on ebay which I know would get me pretty close, it has an effects loop and you can switch channels! I would defo want KT88s in it if I could though.

God I really like the VHT though, however, its quite difficult getting them over here in the U.K.

Never played a boogie mark IV or any H&K, very limited exposure to different amps I guess :-)

Hi fellow UK'er

I had a JVM, good amp but a bit different from an old 800 (see my sig for my preferance)
I'd pick up the 2210 :thu: but I'm biased no pun intended
get into pre amp valves (if you haven't already) setting bias etc.

VHTs look sexy, but in comparison are very "dry".. hard to explain but thats the best description.. try one; your right though anything USA costs

Archived