So I'm seriously thinking about switching to rack gear....

lenster

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've used pedals/heads all my life and even as far as having a multi-amp set up on stage. I moved a rack set up recently and I couldn't be happier. First off, it's much easier to set up and tear down on gigs and practices. All I have to do is connect the speaker, pedal board and guitar and I am ready to go. Second, a rack doesn't have to be huge or super heavy, my set up uses 5 spaces of a 6-space SKB rack. It's just as easy to carry as a head and weights just a bit more.

Now the best thing is to be able to completely change tones onstage with a single click. I can't even begin to tell how good that is. Also, because it's so easy to change tones, I am getting more creative with effects now and adding effects on parts that I would just play dry before.

It doesn't have to be expensive either, here's what my current set up cost me:

MP-1 $180

TC G-Sharp $100

Peavey Classic 60 - $200

case = $60

Midi Board $80

Total $620 for an all-tube set up, including effects, pedalboard and case. Not bad at all, if you ask me. I do intend to get a "premium" power amp in the future but for now the rig sounds pretty damn good and does everything I need.

I think most of the backlash against racks, it's more of a fashion thing "oh it looks so 80's" well maybe it does, but if it does what I need AND sounds good, who cares what the current fashion is.

I'm not saying THIS is the rig for me, as I probably will change components as I go, but I don't see me leaving the rack format anytime soon unless someone can make an "one-in-all" head that sounds really good.

• Members
I've used pedals/heads all my life and even as far as having a multi-amp set up on stage. I moved a rack set up recently and I couldn't be happier. First off, it's much easier to set up and tear down on gigs and practices. All I have to do is connect the speaker, pedal board and guitar and I am ready to go. Second, a rack doesn't have to be huge or super heavy, my set up uses 5 spaces of a 6-space SKB rack. It's just as easy to carry as a head and weights just a bit more.

Now the best thing is to be able to completely change tones onstage with a single click. I can't even begin to tell how good that is. Also, because it's so easy to change tones, I am getting more creative with effects now and adding effects on parts that I would just play dry before.

It doesn't have to be expensive either, here's what my current set up cost me:

MP-1 $180

TC G-Sharp $100

Peavey Classic 60 - $200

case = $60

Midi Board $80

Total $620 for an all-tube set up, including effects, pedalboard and case. Not bad at all, if you ask me. I do intend to get a "premium" power amp in the future but for now the rig sounds pretty damn good and does everything I need.

I think most of the backlash against racks, it's more of a fashion thing "oh it looks so 80's" well maybe it does, but if it does what I need AND sounds good, who cares what the current fashion is.

I'm not saying THIS is the rig for me, as I probably will change components as I go, but I don't see me leaving the rack format anytime soon unless someone can make an "one-in-all" head that sounds really good.

:thu:
Exactly how i feel.

My guess or thoughts are that i will end up with
Peavey classic 50/50 power amp ,2ru $400/500 AUD
ADA MP1 , 1ru $250
Some sort of Rack Tuner , 1ru $200?
GSP1101 , 1ru have already.
6 RU case. $200.
About $1k all up maybe a bit more.
Set up as a guess would be MP1 into the return of the GSP ( there is a set up wizard in the GSP that tells u where to put it for dumbos like me )
into the tuner > power amp and controlled by the GC2.:facepalm:

That sort of $ would enable me to keep the Laney.:cool:

• Members

AFAIK, the MP2 is widely regarded as tonally inferior to the MP-1. Plus, the screen is prone to failure, and is it irreplaceable.

Buy an MP-1.

^^this. The MP-2 tried to be all things to all players and succeeded at none. I bought one and it sounded almost like a POD to my ears. MP-1's are FAR more organic sounding.

• Members
:thu:
Exactly how i feel.

My guess or thoughts are that i will end up with

Peavey classic 50/50 power amp ,2ru $400/500 AUD

ADA MP1 , 1ru $250

Some sort of Rack Tuner , 1ru $200?

GSP1101 , 1ru have already.

6 RU case. $200.

About $1k all up maybe a bit more.

Set up as a guess would be MP1 into the return of the GSP ( there is a set up wizard in the GSP that tells u where to put it for dumbos like me )

into the tuner > power amp and controlled by the GC2.
:facepalm:

That sort of $ would enable me to keep the Laney.
:cool:

That's cool. The only thing I think it's redundant here is the rack tuner as the tuner on the GSP is pretty good. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong unit...

• Members
GSP tuner isn't real good.

It worked fine when I tried it :idk:

As for the JMP-1 vs. MP-1, I like the MP-1 better. It sounds smoother and has a killer chorus to boot.

Now THE ADA to buy is the MP-1 Classic. It sounds exactly like the MP-1 but it has a killer extra voicing "Brown" that is GREAT for mid-gain tones. It also has a very nice noise gate built-in. But they're hard to find :(

• Members
It worked fine when I tried it
:idk:

As for the JMP-1 vs. MP-1, I like the MP-1 better. It sounds smoother and has a killer chorus to boot.

Now THE ADA to buy is the MP-1 Classic. It sounds exactly like the MP-1 but it has a killer extra voicing "Brown" that is GREAT for mid-gain tones. It also has a very nice noise gate built-in. But they're hard to find
:(

Sorry dude. I have to disagree.

I have the original and the classic. The classic, IME, doesn't sound "exactly" like the original.

It could be tubes, but I think the Tube OD on the original sounds better than the brown or the tube OD on the classic.

Just my two cents.

• Members

Sorry dude. I have to disagree.

I have the original and the classic. The classic, IME, doesn't sound "exactly" like the original.

It could be tubes, but I think the Tube OD on the original sounds better than the brown or the tube OD on the classic.

Just my two cents.

have you tried to adjust the internal trim pots on the Classic??

Also, do you want to trade your classic for my Mp1?? :lol:

• Members

what do those trim pots do?

I haven't researched enough, or played my ADA stuff enough lately, for that matter.
:(

forget about the trim pots LOL let's just trade!!! haha

No, seriously, both the ADA MP1 and the Classic have 3 internal pots, one for the input gain (global) one for compression (on the SS clean only) and one for the chorus vocing (also global)

The first one is the most important as it controls the level of your gain BEFORE it hits the circuit. My MP-1 was mushy and muddy when I first got it. A few tweaks on that pot completely made it come alive. Night and day difference. It is possible that your classic input stage needs to be adjusted. It's somewhat of a hidden feature and a lot of people don't even know they're there and dismiss the unit as being bad.

Check out www.adadepot.com They know EVERYTHING there is to know about these preamps.

• Members
forget about the trim pots LOL let's just trade!!! haha

No, seriously, both the ADA MP1 and the Classic have 3 internal pots, one for the input gain (global) one for compression (on the SS clean only) and one for the chorus vocing (also global)

The first one is the most important as it controls the level of your gain BEFORE it hits the circuit. My MP-1 was mushy and muddy when I first got it. A few tweaks on that pot completely made it come alive. Night as day difference. It is possible that your classic input stage needs to be adjusted. It's somewhat of a hidden feature and a lot of people don't even know they're there and dismiss the unit as being bad.

Check out
www.adadepot.com
They know EVERYTHING there is to know about these preamps.

Dude, thanks for the info.

I'll bet anything the input gain is set too low on the Classic.

interesting.

I'll have to see if my depot login still works. :lol:

Archived