In need of an amp with great cleans

frankiej

• Members

So I'm looking for an amp that has good cleans (and remain clean) and can take pedals well.

Good cleans meaning it has a nice shimmer to it but it's not harsh on the ears, lush some would say.

This would possibly be used with a Lonestar Strat or something of similar nature (probably SSS or HSS).

Range would probably be like $500 or so. Used, new...I could careless.

50w seems to be a bit much for my situation so maybe like a 20-30w amp.

Like the sound of 6L6's so maybe something based around 6v6's?

Suggestions?:love:

• Members

Didn't you used to have a Legacy? I know you want something low watt, but the cleans on the Legacy are killer.

Ya I did, but at the volumes I was running it half the time I just couldn't get what I wanted out of it and got frustrated and booted it.

• Members

So I'm looking for an amp that has good cleans (and remain clean) and can take pedals well.

Good cleans meaning it has a nice shimmer to it but it's not harsh on the ears, lush some would say.

This would possibly be used with a Lonestar Strat or something of similar nature (probably SSS or HSS).

Range would probably be like $500 or so. Used, new...I could careless.

50w seems to be a bit much for my situation so maybe like a 20-30w amp.

Like the sound of 6L6's so maybe something based around 6v6's?

Suggestions?
:love:

I see some problems with your requirements, you want an amp that will remain clean at performance volume but you are looking in the 20-30W range? Amps with that kind of wattage will break up early.

I'd suggest you up your wattage to say the 60-100w range if you need headroom.

As for amps suggestions, at this price range you won't get an amp with better cleans than a Carvin X series. Either the X100B or the X60B combos would do a great job. The 100w model also has an option to lower the power to 50 or even 25w.

You can also look for a Fender "red knob" Twin or Super 60.

Archived