NAD: VHT SigX

JC-TONEQUEST

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
you need to try the GEQ in the loop before saying that. Honestly I cant imagine needing any more gain for any style with a mxr 10-band in the loop
:freak:

I will try the Dano Fish 'n Chips tonight. I meant to last night but didn't get the chance. Don't get me wrong. The SigX has plenty of gain for me. It's just lacking some urgency and oomph that hits you in the chest that I look for with metal. The EQ in the loop thing still presents me with the problem of not being able to use the loop as a solo boost though since I would have the loop on all the time.

• Members
ROFL ask Abe or TOS.

They were both there and heard the gain you can get with the MXR 10-band in the loop, even just on the orange channel.

OK, I had to go home at lunch and jam on the SigX for awhile. I could crank it because the wife wasn't home. I decided to also throw my Dano Fish 'n Chips Graphic EQ in the loop too with an ever so slight "V" shape. Now that's what I'm talkin' bout! Added the oomph I was looking for. I like it on all the channels. The Orange crunch channel is nice and open and raw. Really in your face. I dialed in the Red Lead channel close to the Orange with a touch more gain. It sounded great too. It is a little more compressed by nature. I could see myself using the Orange channel for heavy rhythms and chord work and using the Red Channel for, well leads and rhythmic fast single not palm muted triplet stuff because the compression makes it a little more forgiving.

I think she may be a keeper. Now I need to figure out how to do a solo boost. I think I can use my M13 with a compressor with the volume up and very little compression. I run it with the 4 cable method and I would put it routed to the fx loop.

I still want a Baron K88 though. I guess I am going to have to start saving.:idk:

• Members

yeah man. I'm glad it is working out for you. the Siggy takes pedals like pron stars take the caulk.

Yeah it does. I guess that is because it isn't over compressed and it is made to let dynamics and the characteristics of your guitar and the interaction between you and your guitar shine thru.

• Members

Just got done jammin' on the SigX again. Yeah, this amp isn't going anywhere for the time being. I really like it with the graphic EQ in the loop with just the slightest "V". Nothing drastic. It just adds that extra oomph I was looking for. I also compared it side by side to my XTC. It hangs right with it. I like the XTC a little more. It's just the perfect amp for me but the SigX is pretty close. I even tried the graphic in the loop of the XTC with same settings and I liked it with that amp too. It's going to have to become part of my set up.

• Members

Just got done jammin' on the SigX again. Yeah, this amp isn't going anywhere for the time being. I really like it with the graphic EQ in the loop with just the slightest "V". Nothing drastic. It just adds that extra oomph I was looking for. I also compared it side by side to my XTC. It hangs right with it. I like the XTC a little more. It's just the perfect amp for me but the SigX is pretty close. I even tried the graphic in the loop of the XTC with same settings and I liked it with that amp too. It's going to have to become part of my set up.

Doesn't the Sigx do modern tones better?

• Members

Doesn't the Sigx do modern tones better?

Not sure if my idea of modern tones are what others are. The XTC has more satruation than the SigX. I just love the XTC. A lot of people say it is only good for hard rock not metal but I totally disagree. It's a pleasure to play. A lot of people also say that it isn't tight enough but I also disagree with that too. Keep in mind that I always run a RC Booster in front of all my amps as a clean boost. It's the magic sauce IMO. When I had my 1st XTC I had an Uber Rev. 1 at the same time and I always liked the XTC better. Obviously the XTC doesn't have anywhere near the low end the Uber had but I always thought the Uber had too much low end and if you tried to dial it out it just didn't sound right.

• Members

Sorry if i missed it, but you've had a 5150 right? or at least played one?

I've never owned a 5150 or 5150II. I have heard plenty of them and I played thru a 5150 years ago and wasn't really impressed. I played thru a 5150II a while back and liked it much better than what I remembered of the 5150. A buddy of mine has a FJA modded 5150 and it is incredible sounding. I have thought about picking one up. How does the 5150 and 5150II compare to the Baron? Can you get decent clean tones? How is the fx loop?

• Members

I've never owned a 5150 or 5150II. I have heard plenty of them and I played thru a 5150 years ago and wasn't really impressed. I played thru a 5150II a while back and liked it much better than what I remembered of the 5150. A buddy of mine has a FJA modded 5150 and it is incredible sounding. I have thought about picking one up. How does the 5150 and 5150II compare to the Baron? Can you get decent clean tones? How is the fx loop?

The 5150II(6505+) has decent cleans yes, absolutly.

The II/+ series is kinda like the Baron, in that they are voiced in the same mid frequency. the peavey is a little more modern sounding and probably a bit meaner.

I was going to suggest it to you. They sound AMAZING with VHT cabs.

• Members

The 5150II(6505+) has decent cleans yes, absolutly.

The II/+ series is kinda like the Baron, in that they are voiced in the same mid frequency. the peavey is a little more modern sounding and probably a bit meaner.

I was going to suggest it to you. They sound AMAZING with VHT cabs.

How is the loop?

• Members

Would you say overall you would pick a 5150 or 5150II over the Baron?

At the end of the day, the peavey and Cobra just have my favorite high gain voicings. The baron is fun and I look forward to using it live and seeing how awesome it does.

I'll always come back to peavey though.

• Members

At the end of the day, the peavey and Cobra just have my favorite high gain voicings. The baron is fun and I look forward to using it live and seeing how awesome it does.

I'll always come back to peavey though.

Interesting...would you say you like the 5150 or 5150II better or what do you like best about each?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
My friend and I had a Sig:X, D60, and UL all in the same room once, and we got some sick metal tones out of the Sig:X with these settings and a Chaos-modded TS7 as a clean boost:

SXSettings1.jpg
SXSettings2.jpg
ULD60SX.jpg

(and before you ask...yes, the treble really was on 0, and since that night, I've had it set that way on my D60, and there's still plenty of high-frequency content and no mud
:thu:
)

Tried these settings. Man I can't believe that with the treble at 0 it sounds so good. Didn't get to crank it too loud but I am digging the Sig for sure.

Archived