NAD: VHT SigX

JC-TONEQUEST

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My friend and I had a Sig:X, D60, and UL all in the same room once, and we got some sick metal tones out of the Sig:X with these settings and a Chaos-modded TS7 as a clean boost:

SXSettings1.jpg

SXSettings2.jpg

ULD60SX.jpg

(and before you ask...yes, the treble really was on 0, and since that night, I've had it set that way on my D60, and there's still plenty of high-frequency content and no mud :thu:)

• Members
Yeah I was about to ask about the Treble. That seems really odd but I will give it a try. I noticed your master vol. settings too. Holy crap would that be loud with this amp!

Yeah, it was insanely loud...far louder than I normally play, but his band loves practicing LOUD! :lol:

The treble knob on VHT/Fryette amps in general is a little odd anyway, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Not a lot of people seem to know that trick :thu:

• Members
Yeah, it was insanely loud...far louder than I normally play, but his band loves practicing LOUD!
:lol:

The treble knob on VHT/Fryette amps in general is a little odd anyway, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Not a lot of people seem to know that trick
:thu:

Am I seeing the presence knob correctly too as being all the way off? It seems like the amp wouldn't cut at all with both treble and presence all the way off. Maybe that's the reason for the extreme master volume settings? :confused:

• Members
Am I seeing the presence knob correctly too as being all the way off? It seems like the amp wouldn't cut at all with both treble and presence all the way off. Maybe that's the reason for the extreme master volume settings?
:confused:

I believe you are, but I don't remember why it was like that. I have mine on my D60 at about 1:30-2:00.

• Members
My friend and I had a Sig:X, D60, and UL all in the same room once, and we got some sick metal tones out of the Sig:X with these settings and a Chaos-modded TS7 as a clean boost:

SXSettings1.jpg
SXSettings2.jpg
ULD60SX.jpg

(and before you ask...yes, the treble really was on 0, and since that night, I've had it set that way on my D60, and there's still plenty of high-frequency content and no mud
:thu:
)

I'll try these as well.

• Members

Regarding an EQ in the Sig's loop, I used my G Major's EQ to cut the super low frequencies out which I thought ended up making the amp a little punchier. Not that it's not already really tight, but it got rid of those super low frequencies that I thought shouldn't be there. I could then turn the amp's Bass up a touch higher without any mud or overwhelming woofing. I also increased the low mid frequencies about 2 db. With those EQ changes, I thought it made the amp more 'brutal' or 'crushing', though it still won't be as much as a UL.

And then, on the Rhythm channel, running Gain 1 Voicing at somewhere around 2:30 (which increases the lower mid emphasis), Boost On, Gain 2 maxed for aggression, made it sound very similar to a boosted Recto, or a step in the direction of a Cobra, IMO. I personally found that punchier and ballsier than the Red channel, especially in a band mix (because the Red channel is more compressed and not as open/punchy/clear).

Just my experiences and 2 cents.

• Members

Okay I tried the zero treble thing and while it didn't sound bad I didn't care for it all that much. I generally dial in my amps brighter than a lot of people. It may sound a little harse by itself put once you are in a band mix it just sits in the right spot. I always get lots of compliments on my tone no matter what amp I am playing on.

Right now I am getting a pretty nice tone on the Lead channel with these settings. Blow, GainI 1:00, GII 1-2, Boost, More, 100W, T 1, M 2, B2:30, Presence 1, Depth 2. I could only get the master volume to about 8:30. I turned it up a little more briefly and it definitely sounded even better. If the wife wasn't home I would have turned it up to 11-12 just to blow myself across the room!

• Members

I'm not sure if the response of the volume knob on the Sig:X is the same as the Deliverance, but if it is, the difference between 8:30 and 10:00 or so is pretty substantial...and not just in volume. I find that 9:30-11:00 seems to be about the sweet spot for me on the Deliverance, which is, unfortunately, a bit louder than my band practices.

• Members

Okay I tried the zero treble thing and while it didn't sound bad I didn't care for it all that much. I generally dial in my amps brighter than a lot of people. It may sound a little harse by itself put once you are in a band mix it just sits in the right spot. I always get lots of compliments on my tone no matter what amp I am playing on.

Right now I am getting a pretty nice tone on the Lead channel with these settings. Blow, GainI 1:00, GII 1-2, Boost, More, 100W, T 1, M 2, B2:30, Presence 1, Depth 2. I could only get the master volume to about 8:30. I turned it up a little more briefly and it definitely sounded even better. If the wife wasn't home I would have turned it up to 11-12 just to blow myself across the room!

So, I guess you are saying you are not sold on it yet

• Members

So, I guess you are saying you are not sold on it yet

Not 100%. Don't kow if I will be with anything except my XTC 101b. That seems like the only amp I am always thrilled with when I plug it in. The SigX is a great amp and it is very versatile. I am just kind of approaching this as a chance for me to try a lot of amps that I have been on my list for awhile since I have the XTC that I will never part with (unless I got a 20th Anniv. which I doubt). I tried the Cobra. It was great in a lot of way but just not for me. I like the SigX better than the Cobra in most ways. If I don't get a more "thrilled" with the SigX in the near future I know I really want to try a Baron K88 next.

• Members

Not 100%. Don't kow if I will be with anything except my XTC 101b. That seems like the only amp I am always thrilled with when I plug it in. The SigX is a great amp and it is very versatile. I am just kind of approaching this as a chance for me to try a lot of amps that I have been on my list for awhile since I have the XTC that I will never part with (unless I got a 20th Anniv. which I doubt). I tried the Cobra. It was great in a lot of way but just not for me. I like the SigX better than the Cobra in most ways. If I don't get a more "thrilled" with the SigX in the near future I know I really want to try a Baron K88 next.

I hear you. I plan on mainly using this with my 70's and 80's cover band

• Members

It will be perfect for that. I am just not sure it is going to cut it for metal. It's close.

you need to try the GEQ in the loop before saying that. Honestly I cant imagine needing any more gain for any style with a mxr 10-band in the loop :freak:

Archived