Down the Towpath - new WIP

oldgitplayer

• Members

I really like the idea of this song -- taking something that exists in or around most major cities (at least those with large waterways nearby) and turning it into a meditation on solitude, the past, the coming of spring, etc. I wish I'd thought of it.

Very cool.

LCK

• Members

I really like the idea of this song -- taking something that exists in or around most major cities (at least those with large waterways nearby) and turning it into a meditation on solitude, the past, the coming of spring, etc. I wish I'd thought of it.

Very cool.

LCK

Thank you kind sir.

• Members

I like the feel of this piece, but I do have to admit that the "road less traveled" line did call more attention to itself than I would like.

Hmmm.......I think that's why I'm using a phrase that has become part of modern vernacular, but not a cliche.

But I'm open to suggestion.

• Members

Sorry guys - but I need to take this slowly one step at a time.

Please comment on the melody that I've added (instrumental only before I tackle it as a vocal).

It's nice.

I sang along, using the posted lyric. The tune doesn't exactly fit the words exactly, but it's a good start.

Keep at it. It's good. Things will start to even themselves out.

LCK

• Members

It's nice.

I sang along, using the posted lyric. The tune doesn't exactly fit the words exactly, but it's a good start.

Keep at it. It's good. Things will start to even themselves out.

LCK

Phew - that's a relief.

Yes - I played the melody in a fairly primary form - there are minor variations and additional notes when sung.

But what you are hearing now will remain the core melody.

I'm planning to harmonise the chorus in 2 part harmony where each gets equal weight. That tends to suggest a different melody.

I appreciate you walking me each step of the way.

• Members

Hmmm.......I think that's why I'm using a phrase that has become part of modern vernacular, but not a cliche.

But I'm open to suggestion.

I think my problem with the line is that it isn't part of modern vernacular, at least not around here. Yes, you'll hear it but in every case the person saying it is intentionally refering to original work, even if only as an analogy to their current circumstance.

Something like "it's all Greek to me" which traces Shakespear even though the vase majority of people saying don't know is a better example.

If the obvious reference to "The Road Less Traveled" doesn't bother you, than run with it. But understand that the line jumps out as a reference to that work as much as singing about "Moon River" or "Jailhouse Rock" would.

• Members

I'm thinking that this may just be an academic issue to songwriters. Dunno for sure.

It isn't. I'd wager that no less than 75% of listeners will immediately think of that poem. I'd also wager that at least half of those will immediately think "and it made all the difference".

Again, if you are making an intentionally reference, then go for it. Or even if you don't mind that people think of it as such, that is OK as well. But it is definitely going to ring that bell in people's heads.

FWIW, I had the verse melody playing in my head the entire drive to work. It is very good.

• Members

Just an idea (that will need some tidying if it's any good)

Chorus :

I think I'll take the road less travelled,

and come and look for you

And see if you are ready,

to take the same road too

SO COME AND SEE MY TALE UNRAVEL

TOGETHER WE ARE STRONG

FOR we no LONGER have to sing, (if it fits?)

the next man's song.

• Members

Just an idea (that will need some tidying if it's any good)

Chorus :

I think I'll take the road less travelled,

and come and look for you

And see if you are ready,

to take the same road too

SO COME AND SEE MY TALE UNRAVEL

TOGETHER WE ARE STRONG

FOR we no LONGER have to sing, (if it fits?)

the next man's song.

Thanks Stick - great minds and all that.......I started out with 'no longer' (it's a natural choice of words), but I changed it to 'no more' because I needed one less syllable.

And I think I will stay with, 'find the place', because it's a continuation of them walking the road less travelled.

Archived