So THHHAt is why the Floyd Rose speedloader didnt take off

thefyn

• Members

I think you were the one who actually posted the videos of them changing string and gauges on the Speedloader.. I guess they make it look easier than it is.. Although I can see why it would be a pain in the ass... IDK,, good luck though..

• Members

I remember a few years back the GC near me was blowing out a couple of dark red quilt top BC Rich NJ Beasts w/ the speedloaders on them for like $200.

I woulda snagged one (or maybe even both!) up if it wasnt for the speedloaders.

Not that it's a bad concept, but when I found out you had like 2 or 3 choices in string gauges for it, and none were ones i liked, that killed it for me. I was tuning to C# standard at that time, and used 12's or 13's for it.

• Members

I think you were the one who actually posted the videos of them changing string and gauges on the Speedloader.. I guess they make it look easier than it is.. Although I can see why it would be a pain in the ass... IDK,, good luck though..

Yep The string tension positioning is what is failing me. I change one to pitch, and all of the others go so far out of whack you have to move every one. Move every one, your original is out of whack.

It is almost impossible to be honest. Because every string you adjust effects the one next to it infinitely more than on originals.

• Members

Yep The string tension positioning is what is failing me. I change one to pitch, and all of the others go so far out of whack you have to move every one. Move every one, your original is out of whack.

Isn't that the same on every Floyd rose, speedloader or not? It's a huge PITA but it just takes a lot of patience and incremental changes...

• Members

Isn't that the same on every Floyd rose, speedloader or not? It's a huge PITA but it just takes a lot of patience and incremental changes...

Read the whole thing:

Because every string you adjust effects the one next to it infinitely more than on originals.

• Members

that's what I was thinking. Changing string gauges on ANY floating floyd has always been a PITA

This is a new level of PINA. 3rd attempt, and it is laying on the ground with 5 strings and I have tried everything. Springs, screw claw, tenstion adjustments etc etc.

Absolute friken joke. The guitar is amazing, but changing string gauges should not be this involved. I am going to leave it until tomorrow. if I still can't get it level, in tune and no buzzing by this time tomorrow, it is going back.

• Members

That is par for the course with ANY Floyd. Changing string gauge requires spring adjustment in back. YOu need to loosen/tighten the springs a bit to get the bridge to be at the same level. You will only learn how much with experience.

When changing strings (not gauge), change one string at a time and tune up, that way the whole thing doesnt go out.

Also, if you are dchanging gauge, the intonation is going to be out and setting the intonation on a floyd usally requires a special tool.

Sounds like you got in over your head on a reasonably challenging job.

Learn how to do it yourself, take it to a tech, or return it. THere is a reason many guys never warm to the floyd. Fix tailpiece guitars will always be available.

• Members

That is par for the course with ANY Floyd. Changing string gauge requires spring adjustment in back. YOu need to loosen the springs a bit to get the bridge to be at the same level. You will only learn how much with experience.

Actually the speedloader is NOT par for the course of any floyd. There are no tuning pegs.. Every string is cut to a specific length and tuning. It must be compensated at the bridge only or by the spring tension etc.... I havent tried to change string gauges on the speedloader, but its easy to see why that would be a huge pain in the ass..

As far as normal floyds, its not as hard as people think.. There is definitely some tricks to make life much easier.. I can pretty much change tuning and string gauges in 15 minutes..

• Members

So, Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the speed loader and the absence of tuners, shouldn't this kind of thing be much easier?

I would have assumed you could just put the new strings on, then adjust the claw on the back and bring it back into tune. Shouldn't the pre-cut strings be all relative to each other?

Archived