Another thread discussing 4x12's...

mikelitzguitar

• Members

Well, yet another thread started by yours truly asking you all for help in choosing a cab... I'm still in college and really don't have that much money, so I really want to get the best bang for my buck you know? I've been looking for a 4x12 lately (used) and really can't decide what I'm looking for. My problem is some of these cabs I'm looking at are online and in different states, so there isn't really any way for me to try them out. Guitar center's website has an endless amount of 4x12 cabs all over the united states at what seem to be really good prices. I saw a Peavey 5150 cab for $230 which seemed good to me, as well as some other peavey amps and marshalls in the same price range. Is it stupid to buy a cab without trying it?? It would be really affordable to get one from there or ebay, but I wouldn't get a chance to try it out first... any advice?

• Members

don't buy a fricken Peavey 5150 is all that I can say. Those sheffield speakers are really some of the worst sounding speakers made. Totally muffled, muted, and "blanketed" sounding...hence the price of a cab. How much you got to spend? here are some high value/low cost new cabs that you can have your choice of speakers installed http://www.avatarspeakers.com

You can find used Marshall cabs such as JCM 900's/1960a's that have the good old fashioned g12t-75 celestions in them. Those are always a good choice. Also keep an eye out for Carvin Legacy and V3 cabs...very well built and fairly cheap used. You also might want to consider 2x12's. With the right speakers, they can handle quite a bit of power. The avatar link above has nice ones for great prices. I'd go with the Contemporary versions because they are quite big, and you can stand it on its side and play it like a 1/2 size straight front 4x12. Crate Blue Voodoo cabs (especially the ones with Celestion V30's) are great bang for the buck. And of course there are Randalls out there worth looking at as well. Good luck!

• Members

I guess I'm really trying to spend as little as possible to get the best thing possible if that makes sense..

Carvin Legacy is a great recommendation as well as the marshalls and avatars. I was going to buy a used legacy for $450 but the impedance is 16 ohms and I am using a modded combo amp that outputs 8 ohms..

Another thing to consider is that my "head" i'm using is by no means top notch. It is a peavey vypyr 75 watt combo that I modified to act as a head when a speaker cab is plugged into the back.

• Members

Any specific models or carvin or randall?

the old ones with jaguar speakers. ive had mesa, marshall, peavey, vader, crate cabs and the old randall with jaguars is my favorite out of all of em and i got it for like 200 bucks. my buddy had an old carvin cab from the 80s that had some kind of celestions in it that was solid that i see go on ebay for 200 all the time.

• Members
I guess I'm really trying to spend as little as possible to get the best thing possible if that makes sense..

Carvin Legacy is a great recommendation as well as the marshalls and avatars. I was going to buy a used legacy for $450 but the impedance is 16 ohms and I am using a modded combo amp that outputs 8 ohms..

Another thing to consider is that my "head" i'm using is by no means top notch. It is a peavey vypyr 75 watt combo that I modified to act as a head when a speaker cab is plugged into the back.

then pick up the 16 ohm legacy cab. those are excellent cabs! You can run 8 ohms into 16 ohms no problem, especially considering that you are just running a vypr for now. Don't pass up the Legacy...its up there with cabs twice its price...punchy, bright, clear, and can handle lowend. :thu:

• Members
then pick up the 16 ohm legacy cab. those are excellent cabs! You can run 8 ohms into 16 ohms no problem, especially considering that you are just running a vypr for now. Don't pass up the Legacy...its up there with cabs twice its price...punchy, bright, clear, and can handle lowend.
:thu:

Awesome, I will!

• Members

don't buy a fricken Peavey 5150 is all that I can say. Those sheffield speakers are really some of the worst sounding speakers made. Totally muffled, muted, and "blanketed" sounding...hence the price of a cab. How much you got to spend? here are some high value/low cost new cabs that you can have your choice of speakers installed

I went to the site, and found a dream cab!! Its a G412 Traditional with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 G12T-75's in an X pattern... $460 What do you think??

• Members

I went to the site, and found a dream cab!! Its a G412 Traditional with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 G12T-75's in an X pattern... $460 What do you think??

Do this. I had a 412 traditional cab, and it is literally 1 out of 2 pieces of gear that I regret selling, the other being my prelawsuit ltd V.

Avatar makes some great cabs for the money...you could spend that amount on speakers alone if you bought them from MF or something....I say do it man. Dont look back. You will LOVE it!!

• Members

Locally I've seen randalls, carvins and marshalls all day for 200-300

I got my carvin legacy 2x12 for 90 bucks.

Just get good speakers from Avatar or used. Vintage 30's or GK-100's are excellent.

EDIT: They all sound good and honestly I haven't heard that big of a difference between them, its more about the speakers.

The only cab I have heard that had a SIGNIFICANT difference is a Mills, but it makes sense when you see it has a true difference in design with its baffle. Most cabs are 13 ply birchwood with very similar dimensions and can sound great. No reason to spend big dough on a cab.

Also I have found straight cabs to usually sound more pleasing than slanted.

• Members

Well, yet another thread started by yours truly asking you all for help in choosing a cab... I'm still in college and really don't have that much money, so I really want to get the best bang for my buck you know? I've been looking for a 4x12 lately (used) and really can't decide what I'm looking for. My problem is some of these cabs I'm looking at are online and in different states, so there isn't really any way for me to try them out. Guitar center's website has an endless amount of 4x12 cabs all over the united states at what seem to be really good prices. I saw a Peavey 5150 cab for $230 which seemed good to me, as well as some other peavey amps and marshalls in the same price range. Is it stupid to buy a cab without trying it?? It would be really affordable to get one from there or ebay, but I wouldn't get a chance to try it out first... any advice?

Where in Texas are you?

Archived