Good Intent - should I progress

bee3

• Moderators

What a cool song this is. The lyric is so... wise. I love the turn you took with it lyrically.

We could this
We could that
Just cause we've fallen in love

What a great idea. I particularly like the lines:

We could settle right down
Build up our home
We'd have each other's backs
When they're up to the wall

• Members

No, a rip roaring guitar solo with notes that tear through your soul.

Ahhh... I've got the perfect guitarist for that sort of thing too... but he's in Kansas City... I should see if he has access to a studio.

• Members

Was the only area that I thought felt awkward. I think the line is great and don't think it needs to change. I think singing it some more, you'll make it fit.

From what I remember, most of your stuff has a doubled vocals. I'm not sure if you're planning on doing that with this one too, but FWIW, I really like this with one take.

As far as a ripping guitar solo goes I think this one is a prime candidate. If it were me I would have the solo come in on the last section of Ooos. I'd more or less have it follow the Ooos the first time through that pattern building in intensity the whole time. Then take a big bite during while during the last section of Ooos.

• Members

Finally hit me which Floyd tune the "ooh" bits remind me of - The Thin Ice.

Listening with headphones - this is a killer tune, Justin. With phones those perc tocks don't bug me nearly as much.

I hear the solo coming in around the 3:21 mark. Seriously, if the solo ends up being as strong as it is in my head, I'd listen for another full 2 minutes. Maybe more.

• Members

Was the only area that I thought felt awkward. I think the line is great and don't think it needs to change. I think singing it some more, you'll make it fit.

From what I remember, most of your stuff has a doubled vocals. I'm not sure if you're planning on doing that with this one too, but FWIW, I really like this with one take.

As far as a ripping guitar solo goes I think this one is a prime candidate. If it were me I would have the solo come in on the last section of Ooos. I'd more or less have it follow the Ooos the first time through that pattern building in intensity the whole time. Then take a big bite during while during the last section of Ooos.

Bingo! I'm leaving this a single vocal and only doubling the oohs. Really makes them pop in my opinion... The single vocal for me is a personal victory. Doubling is my crutch. And I was messing around with guitar solos yesterday... exactly as you describe here.

• Members

Finally hit me which Floyd tune the "ooh" bits remind me of - The Thin Ice.

Listening with headphones - this is a killer tune, Justin. With phones those perc tocks don't bug me nearly as much.

I hear the solo coming in around the 3:21 mark. Seriously, if the solo ends up being as strong as it is in my head, I'd listen for another full 2 minutes. Maybe more.

I changed the snare sound... its tamer now which is probably why it doesn't bother you as much.

• Members

I changed the snare sound... its tamer now which is probably why it doesn't bother you as much.

Grip it and rip it man. Let the chips fall where they may.

Re: ripping guitar solo. F--yeah. I would certainly listen that the guy from your blues band for two more minutes. :thu:

• Members

Great music and lyric. Just one suggestion :

There are a lot of we's. They are still implied if you leave them out.

Consider:

We could battle it out

With such good intent

Could each build a wall

And hide behind it

We could follow the script

And act out the parts

Play them all...

We could break for the shore

When weather is rough

Could float through our lives

never to know what its like to have loved

Or to have fallen apart

We could settle right down

Build up our home

Have each other's backs

We could hold our heads up

At the end of it all

We're all right

We could break for the shore

When weather is rough

And control our lives

Change our direction and do what we like

Just cause we've fallen in love

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

I agree with Phil here. The tune is fantastic. But you have sung a lot of your other stuff so much better that I want you to give this particular song a better chance. i suggest retracking the whole vocal with a new perspective.

This particular vocal sounds much more na

Archived