Two 2x12 vs One 4x12?

EzzO)))

• Members

Hey guys, is there a huge difference in the bass response you get from two 2x12 cabs as opposed to one 4x12? I was using a friends 4x12 for the last few months and I was really liking the sound. I switched jam spaces so I'm back to using my old 2x12 and I'm not digging the sound. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to get another 2x12 or sell the one I have and grab a 4x12. One thing that's making me lean toward buying a second 2x12 is that I have a pretty small car and I don't think I could fit a full size cab in there.

• Members

Probably wont be the same sound you have now, but probably wont be the same as the 4x12 either. Two 2x12 cabs would have different sonic capabilities because of the difference in air space and the extra wood in between (just my opinion). Are you planning on using the same speakers you have now? you could go with eminence swamp thangs or canabis rex to give you more bottom end from the new cab. I know from experience the canabis sounds awesome.

• Members

You could get a 4x12 and keep your 2x12. This cab combination is so much win in terms of tone and look.

Probably wont be the same sound you have now, but probably wont be the same as the 4x12 either. Two 2x12 cabs would have different sonic capabilities because of the difference in air space and the extra wood in between (just my opinion). Are you planning on using the same speakers you have now? you could go with eminence swamp thangs or canabis rex to give you more bottom end from the new cab. I know from experience the canabis sounds awesome.

The Cannabis is an awesome speaker, but doesn't do well with some amps.

I hated them with my old Peavey Ultra Plus, but paired with my G12L-35 loaded 4x12, everything sounded :thu:.

• Members

depends entirely on the speakers and the cabinet design. two ported 212s could bring a TON more bass than a single closed 412. of course, you could mix a ported and a closed, or a closed and an open, or a ported and an open (my fave).. and fine tune what you get with it-- and then you need to deal with the idiosyncrasies of speakers as well.

there's really no hard and fast rule-- but theres' some GREAT aspects of mixing an matching different configurations.

• Members

I use to have Two 4X12 cabs and recently switced to Four 2X12 Avatar cabs with WGS ET65's and i have'nt looked back since then. I can stack them up together to get the classic rock look,split two of them off on each side of the stage, or any combo and it's been a win-win situation for me. And my back likes it better too.

I get plenty of warm thump from the 2X12's and volume is not a issue either. I love this setup i have now. Speaker choice will make a big difference in the tones your chasing with 2X12 cabs. I like the 65's because i can still get that greenback tones while still having a 130w rated cab for my 100w amps. :thu:

• Members

2, 2x12's I think would be more versital as well. I don't know why I haven't thought of that yet. Space them apart for a stereo sound. Only pack one for practice. Damn I can't believe my dumbass aint thought of that.

Plenty of things can effect the bass responce though. Area volume in the cab, open or closed back, sound dampning material inside if any, speaker of coarse, yada yada.

I'm SURE if you research the sound you want from a cab you'll find the answer your looking for. Good luck.

• Members

If you run stereo, then there's no contest. Two good 2x12 ftw. If you're running mono then it's down to a couple of factors, the boxes themselves, the speakers you chose, and the effect you're looking for.

If you want a better spread, then two 2x12 ftw again, as you can position them apart from one another, and get a nice even level across the entire stage without having to blast the hell out of everyone (though you can do that too :cool:). If you're running through the PA to tell you the truth a single 2x12 is more than enough, but a 4x12 is nice too, as it is directional, and you can point it where it's really there mostly for you to monitor yourself. Unless you don't want your guitars in the monitor mix.

I have a 4x12, a 2x12 with a ported bottom and sealed top, and an open back 2x12 combo, and I can get hellaciously heavy and thick tones with the combo and 2x12. The 4x12 does indeed sound bigger then the two 2x12 when run mono, but when run stereo I prefer the two 2x12, or running the two 2x12 on one side and the 4x12 on the other. Now that's the thickness. :love:

• Members

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

I should have specified, I have an Orange 2x12 cab but I was using a friends JCM 900 4x12. I'm running with a Rockerverb 50 head. When I was using Marshall cab I felt like I was getting a fuller sound, saying more bass response is a bit of a generalization. It seemed like the lows and the mids were coming through just right. I really like a thick guitar sound. Not that I'm a huge fan of the band but kind of like The Sword tone wise. With 2x12 it seems like unless I really dial back the the treble and middle controls I get too much mids/highs

Archived