VH4 or Elmwood Modena 60?

frtbzz

• Members

It sounds like a less saturated tighter ENGL to me.. Very processed and dull sounding IMO..

Took the words out of my mouth. And I was able to use one extensively since our previous lead guitarist had one. Just couldn't get over that dark and flat/uninspiring tone.

• Members

I just got to play a VH4 for the first time today and I thought it sucked. It sounds like a less saturated tighter ENGL to me.. Very processed and dull sounding IMO.. The Herbert and Einstein I played didnt impress me either. I guess I just dont like those amps.

This all day long.

• Members

Ahh...not many VH4 fans here I see. I'm inquiring because I have the chance to swap my Modena for a VH4. Never played a Diesel..just heard clips so thats why I'm asking. So far it doesn't look good. Damn. Would a SLO be a better deal?

• Members

Theres really nothing bright about the Modena. A lot of tight gain and lowend chunk. Thick sounding with emphasis in the low mids. I was originally looking to trade my Elmwood for a SLO but got this VH4 offer thrown at me. I just might wait for a SLO to come along instead.

• Members

VH-4 is super compressed, and it is impossible to dial the mid "bark" out of the amp, personally I like that, but I figured it was worth mentioning... also, the VH-4 is {censored}ING COMPRESSED, I know I already said that, but if compression isn't your thing then steer clear of ALL Diezel amps, period...

The Modena is quite the opposite, if I had to describe the amp in a very very simple and quick way, I would honestly say the one I played was like a Mark V on steroids... a bit BIGGER sounding, and more saturation available, however the Modena isn't quite as tight as the Mark OR the VH-4...

Just my opinions of course, take them for what they are worth...

P.S.- Both have uninspiring clean channels.

• Members
Just stepping in here in defense of the Diezel VH4:

Compressed...Yes

Dark compared to some amps...Yes

Amazing versitile...Yes

Lifeless...No

Totally unique character...Yes

Hi-Fi...Yes

For everyone...No

Well put, pretty much sums up the VH-4... I want another one so bad... I've come to the conclusion I want the Herbert AND the VH-4, I can't decide which I like better so I'm just going to sell a testicle and have both :cop:

• Members

I wouldn't recommend getting a VH4 without trying it out first. It's not one of those amps that is for everyone. Its voicing is very unique, and it's totally a love-it-or-hate-it type of thing. Even though it has 4 channels and each of those 4 channels does its own sound, they're still very characteristically VH4.

If you love the VH4 sound, there's nothing better for you.

If you hate it, then there's nothing you can do to make it worth your time.

As far as live use, its flexibility and switching options are pretty much unparalleled.

• Members
I wouldn't recommend getting a VH4 without trying it out first. It's not one of those amps that is for everyone. Its voicing is
very
unique, and it's totally a love-it-or-hate-it type of thing. Even though it has 4 channels and each of those 4 channels does its own sound, they're still very characteristically VH4.

If you love the VH4 sound, there's nothing better for you.

If you hate it, then there's nothing you can do to make it worth your time.

As far as live use, its flexibility and switching options are pretty much unparalleled.

What Alex said... I know for a fact I'm gonna get rid of my Herbert then want one again... Alex, you wanna just donate your head to me? :wave::love::cop:

Archived