Is there a MIDI pickup that I can use to trigger VST instruments?

thefyn

• Members

Not sure about that.. But in the meantime, there are a bunch of free Audio to Midi plug-ins out there.. They arent exactly accurate but they do work at getting some things across.. Cant remember the name of the one I use/.. I think its from Fretted Synth Audio...

• Members

usb?

negative, you need to get the gk-3 with the processor and use the midi outs on that to go to a midi-usb device to get back to your computer.

alternatively, i picked up a yamaha ez-eg and it's been working wonders in my music.

the yamaha ez-ag, is a keyboard kinda.. the frets are midi notes and yeah.. it's awesome for song creation and what have you.

• Members

Graphtech make MIDI Pickups that are incorporated in the guitar's saddles and a Hexpander MIDI Interface.
It's reputed to track much better than those GK-style MIDI pickups:
http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=2

And Godin make a great, affordable guitar that comes with this Graphtec system factory installed:
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewaysap.htm

Hope this helps.
:)

• Members

Basically for a pickup you need one of those Roland GK units, or the Piezo saddles that are built into a guitar bridge.

Then you need a unit to convert from audio to MIDI. This is like one of those Roland pedals, an Axon, Yamaha, etc..

My dad has the Graphtech bridge and the Axon rack unit. They sound awsome for triggering MIDI sounds, but that is also a $1500 setup.

Guitar trigger MIDI is never a cheap setup...

• Members

Basically for a pickup you need one of those Roland GK units, or the Piezo saddles that are built into a guitar bridge.

Then you need a unit to convert from audio to MIDI. This is like one of those Roland pedals, an Axon, Yamaha, etc..

My dad has the Graphtech bridge and the Axon rack unit. They sound awsome for triggering MIDI sounds, but that is also a $1500 setup.

Guitar trigger MIDI is never a cheap setup...

Correct.

I've got the Graphtech system with a Roland GI-20, the latter of which I'm selling. I just don't use it enough, and it's challenging because you have to play very, very cleanly to avoid ghost notes and glitches.

• Members

As far as GK->MIDI converters are concerned, I'd highly recommend the Axons, either the AX-50 (usb, no sound module (should be ideal for what you're proposing)) or the AX-100. Waaaaaaaay better than the GR-33 I used previously

• Members

This is the latest project I'm working on. I'd like to get into synths and the virtual instruments of Logic and Reason, but don't know how to play piano. Hoping the guitar will open up some possibilities.

Got myself an older Roland GI-10 (people say the tracking/conversion is just as good as the GI-20 and GK-33+, etc), an M-Audio MIDI/USB interface and a Roland GK-3 pickup.

Very excited for the possibilities because I think using computer programs and software instruments as the 'brain' instead of stand-alone outboard processors can open the door to a lot of possibilities while being the most 'future-proof'.

• Members

I bought this thing:

As a learning tool it works, my wife picked it up and started strumming dock of the bay along with the lights. Pretty cool

EZAG-a5a24f6cbef302ec6dc78321200dc6cb.jp

As for a midi controller, the notes I triggered turned into screams. haha, I need some drivers or something.

• Members

There is going to be a real problem playing piano parts on a guitar. They way the intruments are set up will make playing many piano chords nearly impossible on the guitar.

Guitar synths work great for horns and strings since the guitar is much more similar to those intruments.

Max

• Members

There is going to be a real problem playing piano parts on a guitar. They way the intruments are set up will make playing many piano chords nearly impossible on the guitar.

Guitar synths work great for horns and strings since the guitar is much more similar to those intruments.

Max

I'm getting a keyboard controller too. This is to speed up the times where I follow the guitar with VST instruments.

Archived