Voodoo amp mods?

hcprimerib

• Members

The standard mod should be fine if your OT is okay. I'm dubious of OT replacements as upgrades.

I agree that it really depends on the amp whether or not an OT upgrade is "worth it." But for me, I can say I really like my 6505 with the MM OT in it. Really tightened up the bottom end and gave a lot more headroom. Guess it comes down to personal preference, though.

• Members

thanks bill. that was a great vid. I'm not sure I'm digging the mod. the 5150 sounds smooth in the video, maybe to smooth for a peavey.

I hear ya. The mod takes out a lot of noise, which is nice, but the gain is restructured and some feel it's a bit too much like a Deizel Herbert afterwards. Some people prefer to have more "hair" in their sound. I don't miss it, but others might. I know that was a debate at the last Boston amp fest.

• Members

Since the search function is worthless here, I'm reaching out to folks for their thoughts on Trace's "Deluxe Mod" for amps. Namely the Peavey 6505.

The mod seems to "deball" the 6505 - smoother, and less noise is great but not if it takes away the whole reason to use a 6505. There are other amp modders that do the 6505/5150 a lot more to my liking.

• Members

I hear ya. The mod takes out a lot of noise, which is nice, but the gain is restructured and some feel it's a bit too much like a Deizel Herbert afterwards. Some people prefer to have more "hair" in their sound. I don't miss it, but others might. I know that was a debate at the last Boston amp fest.

Part of my review of the Voodoo Deluxe Mod 5150 II is still posted on their website. You can look it up on Harmony Reviews...It's way too long and deatailed (sorry). Mine is the one that has the "Adam Jones" referance in it. It's interesting that you brought up the Diezel...The Voodoo modded 5150 II reminded me a little of my VH4...But more saturated and gained. The amp will be more versitile, smoother, more refined and more touch sensitive...some would describe this as the amp being "tamed", as some of the inherant "nastiness" associated with the 5150 series is mitigated by the mod. Maybe read my review...It's pretty extensive. Trace and Company are great people and I loved that amp!

• Members

The mod takes out a lot of noise, which is nice, but the gain is restructured and some feel it's a bit too much like a Deizel Herbert afterwards.

Hey, there's something to be said for a guy who can take a $500 head and make it sound "too much" like a $3000 head. :idea:

• Members

Hey, there's something to be said for a guy who can take a $500 head and make it sound "too much" like a $3000 head.
:idea:

In my review that's exactly what I stated...Ironically. After the mod, the amp felt, responded, played and sounded more like a "boutique" amp that you would expect to pay $3000 plus for. Tht being said...If you intend to use the amp primarily for a "brutal" (hate the term) metal tone...Save your money and leave the 6505 as it is...It's perfect in that capacity bone stock...Cold bias and all. Just my opinion.

• Members

In my review that's exactly what I stated...Ironically. After the mod, the amp felt, respnded, played and sounded like a "boutique" amp that you would expect to pay $3000 plus for. Tht being said...If you intend to use the amp primarily for a "brutal" (hate the term) metal tone...Save your money and leave the 6505 as it is...It's perfect in that capacity bone stock...Cold bias and all. Just my opinion.

I'd have to agree with killgrace. If you're end application with a 5150 is "teh br00talz," then this mod is probably not for you. Me? I play in a cover band doing Journey and stuff like that. I've been playing on a 5150 since they debuted on the market, so I think I know what one sounds like by now. For my applications? The modded version sounds awesome and was an improvement. I like it a lot. If i didn't, I'd have it de-modded back to stock and be done with it. And FWIW, anyone who's heard my amp is person would be hard pressed to say it's "ball-less." It's got tons of gnads. But is it a bevvy of fizzy, distorted grind with scooped mids? That would be a NO!

It all comes down to how you set it up and other variables. But in the end, agree that some players may find the inherent qualities of the stock 5150 more to what they're doing.

To each their own.

• Members

I agree that it really depends on the amp whether or not an OT upgrade is "worth it." But for me, I can say I really like my 6505 with the MM OT in it. Really tightened up the bottom end and gave a lot more headroom. Guess it comes down to personal preference, though.

Is it just me or do all these amps sound just about exactly the same? Ive been going back and forth on this vid from one to the next and I cant tell much difference. They sound good, but wtf? Listening through my sony headphones, btw.

• Members

Is it just me or do all these amps sound just about exactly the same? Ive been going back and forth on this vid from one to the next and I cant tell much difference. They sound good, but wtf? Listening through my sony headphones, btw.

I would agree. That was my first impression from this video. They are smooth and tight though I must agree. But all amps were boosted which could tighten up Pamela Anderson

• Members

...it is not just you .I agree completely. while it is only an internet clip .You can tell that the mods are similar .IMO a JCM800 should not sound like a rectifier... stock they are miles apart.

I personally would not want a Plexi ,Hiwatt and recto to sound the same.I look to an amp to exhibit it own character and voice .but that is just me

• Members

wow!!! i realize i'm listening through bad comp speakers, but i thought the same thing.... after the 2nd or third amp, i was thinking, 'didnt i already hear this?' ohh well...

:confused:

• Members

That video is kinda like a joke..I laughed. I don't mean that in a bad way, but all the vids sounded exactly the same. It was just him talking about the amps..then the exact same clip as the previous one.

As for his 5150 mods I hear they really de-ball the tone..so you have to take that into consideration. That might not be a bad thing depending on what you want, but you should always speak in depth before sending an amp..it keeps you from being dissappointed. If you know they're known for that kind of 5150 mod, then you shouldn't just ship your amp off and expect them to change it up on your amp, just because.

• Members

That video is kinda like a joke..I laughed. I don't mean that in a bad way, but all the vids sounded exactly the same. It was just him talking about the amps..then the exact same clip as the previous one.

Dude you ain't kidding :eek: It's literally like copy/pasta happened over and over.

I guess it's cool if you want all of your amps to sound the same but a lot of those amps' identities are lost.

Hopefully it's just the translation of the sound in the recordings though. I'd like to think that if you were in the room with the amps you could tell them apart.

• Members

That stupid son of a bitch says 'Industry Standard' one more {censored}ing time, he's gonna get an Industry Standard kick in the {censored}ing balls.

:mad:

Made the video intolerable. Plus, they all sound the {censored}ing same.

:facepalm:

• Members

hum, the amps in the video do sound remarkably similar and he stated how the mods tightened up the amps. the tone was anything but tight. sure that wasn't a doctored vid.

here's a 5150 reamp of mine and what I would consider fairly tight.

OP, what are you hoping to fix modding your amp?

Archived