WOT: Intel VS AMD

NixerX

• Members

Looking into building a mother-{censored}er of a DAW and im getting hung up on the CPU's

Ive been using the Intel stuff since the dual core thing .so im a bit out of the loop as far as how the newer AMD chips compare.

• Members

if you look at the cost difference between the top of the line AMD stuff vs the top of the line intel stuff, the performance difference doesn't justify it IMO.

if you're on a budget, using the i7 will hamstring the rest of the system. if money is no object, and you're going to use the best of the best regardless of price, by all means go with the i7 system.

• Members

I'm out of the loop, too. I don't get into it until I'm ready for a new system. I've been using an E6600 for 3 1/2 years now, and I am still happy with it. My motherboard can handle up to a Q9650, so I'll probably just upgrade to that when the price is dirt.

• Members

Until you get into the tippy-top performance and cost-wise, the newer AMD offerings beat out Intel on the price-performance measure, and any difference in performance between them is really marginal at that level, being more about the numbers and not anything you will experience in usage. The next machine I will build will probably be on something like the Asus Crosshair III with a Phenom II X4 965.

• Members

Once they switched to multi-core processing, Intel overtook AMD in a very big way.

At the moment, Intel is the clear winner. They pound the {censored} out of comparably "clocked" AMD processors.

Intel ATM. And its been intel ever since core2duo.

This.

And yes, "price-performance". Numbers don't mean a damned thing when compared to in real life testing. And in real life, the Intel stuff kills right now. And this is from a guy who only used AMD up until Core 2 duo.

• Members
Once they switched to multi-core processing, Intel overtook AMD in a very big way.

At the moment, Intel is the clear winner. They pound the {censored} out of comparably "clocked" AMD processors.

This.

And yes, "price-performance". Numbers don't mean a damned thing when compared to in real life testing. And in real life, the Intel stuff kills right now. And this is from a guy who only used AMD up until Core 2 duo.

You're not as dumb as I suspected you were. Then again, you're probably 50-60 years old (and from the direct insults you've hurled my way, probably single, friendless, and bitter) so you should know something about something I presume. Guess computers it is? :idk:

There. Now you have a REASON for calling me a douche. ;)

• Members

I always thought it would be cool to have an AMD machine, so that I could be different.

I've had more trouble that one AMD machine than with the other TEN Intel Machines I've owned/used/networked/etc over the years.

It could be an isolated incident, bad hardware, etc, but I'm back on the chain gang.

• Members
You're not as dumb as I suspected you were. Then again, you're probably 50-60 years old (and from the direct insults you've hurled my way, probably single, friendless, and bitter) so you should know something about something I presume. Guess computers it is?
:idk:

There. Now you have a REASON for calling me a douche.
;)

:lol:

married, daughter, nothing to be bitter about, thank you
I know a little about a lot of things.

Also, you're still a douche :poke:

• Members

How many people actually use their computer for more than internet surfing and facebook/farmville?

Yeah, the i7 is great, but a 10 year old P4 would do everything most people want to do just fine.

I still have to deal with some old ass P4 machines at work and I have to say this is not true. Just having a newer internet browser that has tabs, plug-ins and is accessing stuff like videos can overtax a P4. I have one person still using a P4 system with 1gb of ram and using Firefox with a few tabs open alongside something like Word or Outlook slows that thing down tremendously.

Your point is taken though. I do some gaming, music production, web design and application development and I really don't need an i7.

• Members

How many people actually use their computer for more than internet surfing and facebook/farmville?

Yeah, the i7 is great, but a 10 year old P4 would do everything most people want to do just fine.

...Wut.

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken.

You're also not taking into account the fact that most p4 motherboards (if not all) can't utilize DDR2 dual or triple-channel ram thus making them even less efficient. Also, most p4 boards cap out at 4 gigs max ram capacity.

Lots of things you're not considering.

• Members

...Wut.

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken.

You're also not taking into account the fact that most p4 motherboards (if not all) can't utilize DDR2 dual or triple-channel ram thus making them even less efficient. Also, most p4 boards cap out at 4 gigs max ram capacity.

Lots of things you're not considering.

A lot of them actually cap out at 2gb and some even at 1gb.

• Members

Actually I will admit I will have a hard time deciding between an Intel-based board with something like an i5-750 and the AMD...

Im in this boat. It all REALLY boild down to FSB and Memory access speed. you can have all the ghz's you want but if you dont have the FSB to back it up your {censored}ed.

Im thinking its not gonna matter so long as the heat thing is well controlled and the CPU is STABLE. I cant have BSOD's and {censored} like that due to an overclocked out of the box processor.

Im liking the prices of the Phenoms. Are they stable?

• Members

Your point is taken though. I do some gaming, music production, web design and application development and I really don't need an i7.

I have a buddy who works as a game programmer. He just sprung for the most expensive thing he could build on my other friends suggestions. Amazing machine. He does play WoW (not the most graphic/system intensive game) but most of his time is spent CODING.

He's got a 3,000 dollar machine, and 80% of the work done on it is typing text into a field.

Like most PC enthusiasts, it's just going overkill that makes them happy, not getting what they need.

• Members

Im liking the prices of the Phenoms. Are they stable?

And yes, absolutely.

Really, compare the entry level i7-920 to the top end phenom 2 965 quad.

The intel has similar performance, but requires more wattage, runs hotter, and is $100 more expensive. Yeah, intel has higher end, higher performance processors from that level, but you take a jump to $500, and $1100 dollars to get there. Hey, they're faster, but you could buy a second entire AMD machine for the difference in price, and perform within 5-10% on most all applications.

Archived