Thinking about selling my ESP Horizon NT-II for a Carvin...

mparsons

• Members

Thoughts?

One of the new bands I'm starting is in Drop A, and the other guy plays a 7 string and writes a lot with it. I've currently got the Horizon tuned to B/A with baritone strings, but I sort of want to get a 7 string and a custom Carvin has always appealed to me.

This is what I spec'ed out:

DC727-

Right Handed

Fixed Bridge 1 $799.00

SS - String Saver Saddles for Fixed Bridge $20.00

ASH - Maple Neck/Swamp Ash Body $30.00

CS - Satin Matte Finish $0.00

TE - Greenburst (or blue burst, haven't decided yet) $25.00

-PH - Headstock To Match Plain Wood Body Color (Standard) $0.00

-EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard) $0.00

NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only $0.00

STJF - Stainless Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W $40.00

-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00

-C26B - C26 Bridge Pickup $0.00

-C26N - C26 Neck Pickup $0.00

-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard) $0.00

BC - Black Hardware $30.00

-1056 - Elixir Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard) $0.00

WL - White Logo $0.00

HC11 - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case $59.00

Custom Shop Total: $1,003.00

What do you think?

• Members

It really depends. The ESP is worth a lot more than the Carvin, especially used. Lots of people swear by Carvin, others (Ricky Bobby) are going to come in here and shove their opinion up your ass and tell you anyone who thinks differently is a mouth breathing simpleton and should be euthanized.

I'd say find one to try and see if you like it first.

• Members

It really depends. The ESP is worth a lot more than the Carvin, especially used. Lots of people swear by Carvin,
others (Ricky Bobby) are going to come in here and shove their opinion up your ass and tell you anyone who thinks differently is a mouth breathing simpleton and should be euthanized.

I'd say find one to try and see if you like it first.

:lol:

• Members

Would not sell an actual ESP to get a $1000 Carvin; save a bit... or get a cheap agile or something..

This. Keep the awesome 6-stringer and pick up a cheapie 7 until you can afford the Carvin.

You should be able to find an RG7321 for a very reasonable price.

• Members

This. Keep the awesome 6-stringer and pick up a cheapie 7 until you can afford the Carvin.

You should be able to find an RG7321 for a very reasonable price.

A friend of mine just picked up a 7321 the other day off of Cragislist for $105.

It was missing a string saddle and probably hadn't had a string change in 2 years, but after I cleaned it up a bit for him and popped a new saddle on it, it wasn't a half bad deal for a first 7.

If he could find a used D-Sonic, that guitar would slay.

Back on topic...I support the idea of not selling your esp lol. Especially if its a guitar you really like.

• Members

I pretty much got the same exact thing except purpleburst. I also would suggest getting the back of the neck with a tung oil finish. I am extremely satisfied with my Carvin, a lot of the hate is unfounded (or by some particular Gibson fanatics). It was set up nicely and everything feels quality on it. The neck feels very smooth and the Ebony board with the low action plays excellently.

The one thing you probably will want to change out are the pickups (like most guitars anyways) and possibly the electronics (though they work just fine, it depends on whether or not you believe some pots make a "tonal" difference) The one thing though about Carvin is they did an excellent job with the electronics cavity being properly shielded and it is very neat.

• Members

I pretty much got the same exact thing except purpleburst. I also would suggest getting the back of the neck with a tung oil finish. I am extremely satisfied with my Carvin, a lot of the hate is unfounded (or by some particular Gibson fanatics). It was set up nicely and everything feels quality on it. The neck feels very smooth and the Ebony board with the low action plays excellently.

The one thing you probably will want to change out are the pickups (like most guitars anyways) and possibly the electronics (though they work just fine, it depends on whether or not you believe some pots make a "tonal" difference) The one thing though about Carvin is they did an excellent job with the electronics cavity being properly shielded and it is very neat.

Dude, you posted an NGD without pics: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2483908 :cop::cop:

• Members

Damn that is nice looking. Love the color.

Thank you. I spent a long time messing around with options and color schemes before I finally decided on that. I wanted a "galactic/space" look to it.

I need to get another picture though, the smudges from playing in that front pic piss me off :mad:

• Members

I wouldn't sell that ESP for a Carvin. Mainly because that's one of the most beautiful 6 stringers I've ever seen, period. I bet it plays like an absolute dream too. I mean, Carvin makes great fiddles, but I've always been turned away due to their poor resale value. Or at least what I've seen. I'm almost willing to bet that ESP will play better than the carvin. I understand the need for a 7 stringer, but I wouldn't sell that guitar to get one. Not in a lifetime.

If funds are an issue, I would just get this, and call it a day.

septor727bkq1.jpg

Agile Septor Pro 727 EB BK Quilt

Mahogany Body

27" Scale Length

5 piece neck-thru body design

Tone Pros bridge(string through body)

Blank Ebony fretboard, with side markers.

24 SS Extra Jumbo Frets

13.7" Radius neck. (Shredddd)

Grover Tuners

Agile Pickups (Replace these)

Reverse Headstock

8.5 lbs

For less than $600. I'm seriously contemplating putting a deposit down on one of them. I've been wanting a 7 string for a while for this main reason, without getting rid of either of my 6ths though. The options and the price point scream win. Only thing I don't really like is not being able to play it before purchasing it. But I'm sure a good setup, if needed, would solve any potential problems I may have with it's playability. And it's really aesthetically pleasing to me. Simple = Good. I'd probably throw some BKPs in it. Cold Sweat bridge and a nailbomb neck perhaps :love:

• Members

i know the esp is a great guitar, but every carvin i've played, including the seven strings have been super comfortable! the necks are kind of like my old charvel necks.

that and they're not bulky guitars; for some reason, when i used to look at pics of them, they looked big and unwieldy lol. but when u pick one up, they're kinda small, and super comfortable.... i;m saving up to get one this year as well.

Archived