OT : How old were you when you officially moved out?

-Assy-

• Members
My parents have told me that as long as I am a full time student I wouldn't have to pay rent, and my college is 20 minutes away from their house, so it doesnt make sense to move out. I really do hate living at home though, and I pay for rent in other ways, my parents like to use/abuse my woodworking/carpentry skills. Last summer they got a 200ish square foot ground level deck with a pond built in, last winter they got a fancy stone path from said deck to driveway. saved them about 10 grand total.

Do you pay for your post edu? If not, what would that have cost you?

Imagine what you would have paid in rent, food, utilities etc.... it would have been way more than 10 grand :cop:

Good of you to do that for them, You fit the lower 2 percentile of kids that actually understand "the after HS or College contribution" factor.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Do you pay for your post edu? If not, what would that have cost you?

Imagine what you would have paid in rent, food, utilities etc.... it would have been way more than 10 grand
:cop:

Good of you to do that for them, You fit the lower 2 percentile of kids that actually understand "the after HS or College contribution" factor.

my grandparents actually purchased bonds in the 60s/70s to pay for my moms college. she never went, so those grew substantially. they transfered them to me and in the 90s we put all of our money together (mine was a meager contribution but it was all ihad at the time, around 600 or so from mowing lawns and working {censored} jobs), to purchase a 521 plan, which is basically throwing down around 25 grand, which by now, is up to around 38 grand. thats what i use to pay for my college tuition, the best part is i get the tuition rates from the year it was purchased, from 1999 or 2000, much cheaper. i basically have hte money to go to college twice, and i can't take it out in cash, so i feel like graduates school is a good idea.

• Members

Society may be moving toward family patterns reminiscent of a century ago.The whole moving out at 18 thing is a 1950ish invention.In decades (centuries) past, families didn't always move out. Many stayed together to work together, support each other and help the elderly family members, etc. Economic conditions are ripe for that type of arrangement again.

• Members

Society may be moving toward family patterns reminiscent of a century ago.The whole moving out at 18 thing is a 1950ish invention.In decades (centuries) past, families didn't always move out. Many stayed together to work together, support each other and help the elderly family members, etc. Economic conditions are ripe for that type of arrangement again.

Its like this:

In the '50's through '70's there were many plan B options called industry. It was easier to take a couple years out of school, work a trade, and then make good money doing it. Many guys said fuuuuu college. In the '50's and '60's most homes were maybe 1200 sq ft with 10' sq bedrooms,1 bath and the 8 members of that house made the sardine can work for them. They survived on one income and very little available credit. 1 car.

FF to the '80's. Not as many industry jobs, for one, most kids had no "plan" to work in the industries. Hence, also contributed to many industries bailing. 2 or more cars in driveway.

FF to '90's and today. Limited if any industry. No plan "B". Kids have more amenities and advantages of those before them. Both parents work and that absence for any post HS adult is easier than if their parents were home. The incomes are based off both parties and the idea of being frugal has not been on the list of priorities. Otherwise, the house would be paid for in 10 years, not 30. Today 95% of kids has a video game. They could just share, but the thing was about getting more. The video game makers know this and capitalize on it. More is what this era was /is about. 3-5 cars in the avg driveway. More stuff more stuff more gadgets!! Far cry from 1950.

Over-indulgence of credit and lack of industry. The two biggest differences of 1950's and today. In 1950's you had plenty of industry and little credit. That's what made things work so much easier for many of our parents.

• Members

Its like this:

In the '50's through '70's there were many plan B options called industry. It was easier to take a couple years out of school, work a trade, and then make good money doing it. Many guys said fuuuuu college. In the '50's and '60's most homes were maybe 1200 sq ft with 10' sq bedrooms,1 bath and the 8 members of that house made the sardine can work for them. They survived on one income and very little available credit. 1 car.

FF to the '80's. Not as many industry jobs, for one, most kids had no "plan" to work in the industries. Hence, also contributed to many industries bailing. 2 or more cars in driveway.

FF to '90's and today. Limited if any industry. No plan "B". Kids have more amenities and advantages of those before them. Both parents work and that absence for any post HS adult is easier than if their parents were home. The incomes are based off both parties and the idea of being frugal has not been on the list of priorities. Otherwise, the house would be paid for in 10 years, not 30. Today 95% of kids has a video game. They could just share, but the thing was about getting more. The video game makers know this and capitalize on it. More is what this era was /is about. 3-5 cars in the avg driveway. More stuff more stuff more gadgets!! Far cry from 1950.

Over-indulgence of credit and lack of industry. The two biggest differences of 1950's and today. In 1950's you had plenty of industry and little credit. That's what made things work so much easier for many of our parents.

Heroin, in the form of Material Possessions.

You're born with nothing, you die with nothing. What you do in the middle is what defines your legacy, and these days there are many who will amount to nothing more than an ant fart on a windy day.

• Members

Its like this:

Wish it would go back to those days, at least the industry part. I hate sales or any office work.

• Members

Heroin, in the form of Material Possessions.

You're born with nothing, you die with nothing. What you do in the middle is what defines your legacy, and these days there are many who will amount to nothing more than an ant fart on a windy day.

No {censored}!

I laugh at these Youtube clips of kids playing. You see them with flat panel TV's, their own macbook or pc, Xbox, PS3, and HT stereo, Ipod on the desk with a computer and they have 14 pedals on their pedalboard (TC {censored}) with a half stack playing a {censored}ing Gibson or PRS when they are only 13 years old... playing smoke on the water wrong.

At 13, we had one TV, a small house I shared my room with 3 brothers and any guitar gear I bought used off the newspaper classified.

Too much available credit, spoiled kids and then parents wonder why kids act like brats even when they are 20+ wtf!! No wonder so many kids freak the {censored} out if they had to be on their own!!!

• Members

I moved out at 18 and got stupidly married at 19 (which ended a few years later). Before I got married again a couple years back I moved back with the folks because it made the most sense at that time, and allowed me to sock away some much needed cash. I helped my folks out with stuff and bought all of my own groceries and things, but they didn't want me to pay them anything. :idk: I sure as hell didn't enjoy it but boy did we end up needing that money after we got married.

The main difference between people who don't leave the nest these days and those who didn't back in generations past is that most today are just overgrown children. They don't want responsibility, they are happy to just piddle their lives away in an extended adolescence...happy, at least, until the realization of how much they have {censored}ed up and wasted their life occurs. It used to be that many people had family farms and businesses, and multiple generations would live on the property and help run things, while also taking care of the older generations. That in itself was taking on a lot of responsibility and earning your keep, but 99% of America is far removed from that lifestyle.

• Members
Its like this:

I mostly agree .Advantages?What are they?The thing with our grandfathers generation was that after the war (WWII) as the economic situation exploded they never unlearned the lessons they lived with during the depression.They grew up having to pinch pennies and be frugal.They had the extra $ to spend but their upbringing taught them to be smart.I think that today we will see more and more that type of thinking in the young as they learn the hardway.But seriously, buying games and a ipod isnt going to keep people away from moving out.Over-indulgence of credit isnt a youth problem, its been almost everyones problem regardless of age.Is it this new generations fault that things have gotten this out of hand?Hell, the parents who are giving the boot these days ,it was their generation that ramped up Christmas to its now bloated image. Anyway my point was , the last century was the only time on a large scale that children were expected to get out and stay out at an early age.Its just not going to hold up now.

• Members

So there's this dude I share some classes with, he finally got the finger out of his ass and "moved"...can't really say that he moved out, as he's crusing around in a Benz SMG(paid by his dad) and receiving 100-150$ each day (dad) while living "on his own" :cop:

I matured a lot in desperate situations (economically) and eventually learned how to handle money. But I guess we all experience maturing differently

• Members
Its like this:

I really don't understand the point you're trying to make here. As someone already said buying video games and tv's aren't whats keeping kids from moving out.

More importantly, however, you recognize that its not the 1950's but you seem to think that we'll be able to turn back the clock if we start pretending it is. The fact is that US manufacturing as it existed before is dead, and nothing is going to make it come back. It wouldn't matter if they outlawed unions and struck down the minimum wage tomorrow it wouldn't change the fact that China is able to pay slave wages or that more efficient manufacturing methods eliminated the need for many of those jobs.

The irony here is that the only real solution is innovation industries with plenty of growth potential such as green energy, and that innovation is only going to happen if we have young, educated, entrepreneurs to start these businesses and a skilled workforce to keep them running. Yet you're here telling people to skip college, buy a house, and get one of these non-existent manufacturing jobs :confused:

• Members
I moved out at 18 and got stupidly married at 19 (which ended a few years later). Before I got married again a couple years back I moved back with the folks because it made the most sense at that time, and allowed me to sock away some much needed cash. I helped my folks out with stuff and bought all of my own groceries and things, but they didn't want me to pay them anything.
:idk:
I sure as hell didn't enjoy it but boy did we end up needing that money after we got married.

The main difference between people who don't leave the nest these days and those who didn't back in generations past is that most today are just overgrown children. They don't want responsibility, they are happy to just piddle their lives away in an extended adolescence...happy, at least, until the realization of how much they have {censored}ed up and wasted their life occurs. It used to be that many people had family farms and businesses, and multiple generations would live on the property and help run things, while also taking care of the older generations. That in itself was taking on a lot of responsibility and earning your keep, but 99% of America is far removed from that lifestyle.

Bull{censored}.You do realise that every generation has said the very same thing about the young since time out of mind ,family situation notwithstanding? My Grandfather was something like the image of John Wayne to most that knew him.Responsibility, dependability and being one tough son of a bitch is what I know him for.Its his voice I hear when I need a mental kick in the ass, and I know I'm not the only one .When did he move out of his house? 27. He came back after the war and (while keeping a regular job welding for Bethlehem Steel)preceded to party and hang out with his friends(who from what I gather were not that dissimilar) till he met ,married and had a child with my Grandmother.Only then did he move out and change.My point, responsibility isn't always learned at 18. That is also not new.

• Members

Bull{censored}.You do realise that every generation has said the very same thing about the young since time out of mind ,family situation notwithstanding? My Grandfather was something like the image of John Wayne to most that knew him.Responsibility, dependability and being one tough son of a bitch is what I know him for.Its his voice I hear when I need a mental kick in the ass, and I know I'm not the only one .When did he move out of his house? 27. He came back after the war and (while keeping a regular job welding for Bethlehem Steel)preceded to party and hang out with his friends(who from what I gather were not that dissimilar) till he met ,married and had a child with my Grandmother.Only then did he move out and change.My point, responsibility isn't always learned at 18. That is also not new.

That in no way makes what I said bull{censored}. :confused: That your grandpa didn't leave home until he was 27 doesn't mean that the growing trend of extended adolescence and "failing to launch" we see today and many here have experienced doesn't exist. That is a logic fail, sir. Neither does the trend we see today explain all occurrences, but I don't think anyone was arguing that it does.

And it was the way of things once, outside the urban areas especially, that many children never left the family home, and many families lived more on compounds, tending farm and doing other work as an extended family unit. Some of my father's family lived that way until pretty recently, being simple farmers from Kentucky who partially lived off the land their families had owned already for generations. That changed more and more over the 20th Century, particularly as populations shifted to urban and what are now "suburban" areas, and our economy shifted to a "service" economy.

Archived